PS3: What models are available in the US now?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
PS3: What models are available in the US now?
« on: 27 Jan 2008, 05:40 am »
From what I have read, the models for the PS3 are changing. Also from what I have read the 60GB model is the one to get - it is backwards compatible with the PS2. Is this model available anywhere? What models have you seen out there?

Rashiki

Re: PS3: What models are available in the US now?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2008, 07:33 am »
Check out this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3 -- there's a summary of all the models.

The 80GB model might still be available in a few stores (check Amazon), but it looks like the 40GB model is the only one that is readily available.

The original 20GB and 60GB models featured hardware for playing PS2 games, while the 80GB model supported PS2 games using software emulation. The 40GB model has no support for PS2 games at all.

The one benefit to the 40GB model is that it's supposed to be manufactured with a 65nm version of the cell processor vs. the 90nm on the older models. This would mean it would draw less power and run cooler (and quieter) than the older versions.

-Rob

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: PS3: What models are available in the US now?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2008, 12:55 am »
Thanks but I am well aware of Wikipedia and hundreds of other sites - I am wondering what is out there at Walmarts and Gamestops that haven't been shipped back yet