$350.00 to spend on an amp

Tweaker

$350.00 to spend on an amp
« on: 27 Jul 2006, 08:04 pm »
What's your favorite headphone amp in this price range?

« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2006, 10:56 pm by Tweaker »

djbnh

Re: $350.00 to spend on an amp
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2006, 10:30 am »
Xin SuperMarcro IV. Portable but can be used with a home system, flexible (roll opamps, buffers to tailor the sound), rechargeable, etc. Check out Dr. Xin's forums and Head-Fi for more information. Downside? Lately Dr. Xin has been on a tweaking tear, so you may want to wait a month or 2 before purchasing.

dogberry

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2006, 07:25 pm »
Two words: Channel Islands.

http://ciaudio.com/vhp1.html

chadh

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2006, 08:35 pm »

I have the CIA VHP-1, along with the VAC-1 power supply.  I like it a lot.  While the VAC-1 pushes the price above the $350 mark, it makes significant improvement in performance, especially with hard-to-drive headphones.  You might be able to pick up the pair for around $350 on the used market. 

I also have and enjoy the Meier Aria.  This was a limited edition, and may not be available new.  But used, they were going in the $350-$400 range.  It has the advantage that it includes a USB DAC and a crossfeed switch.  I'm embarrassed to say that I've never compared the Aria directly to the CIA VHP-1 (mostly because the Aria lives at work, hooked up to the computer), but both have proven to be very enjoyable.

You should ask around on Headfi.com, although you'll receive about a thousand recommendations (some of which have a flavor-of-the-month feel).  Some of the suggestions, though, seem to weather the test of time.  Look into the Headamp Gilmore Lite (which seems almost indistinguishable from the CIA VHP-1 to many reviewers), the Woo Audio 3 (if you like tubes) or the Millet hybrid.

There's another alternative, if you're prepared to do a little work (and if you have convenient headphones).  If you are able to separate the ground wires from the left and right headphones, then you can use a sonic impact T amp (or the super-T) as a headphone amp (with some minor modifications).  Just don't try to tie the ground wires from the two headphones together as the T-amp doesn't like this.

Good luck in your search.

Chad

Tweaker

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2006, 09:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far. They all look like good options. The Channel Islands has been on my radar lately as it seems to be getting some good press. No suprise there, though.

Tweaker

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2006, 05:05 pm »
I think the search is over. The Headamp Gilmore Lite looks like a winner and even comes in under my budget. Thank-you Chad for the tip on that and the rest for your input. I don't think I could of gone wrong on any of the recommendations.