Auto racing fans?

jcsperson

Auto racing fans?
« on: 7 May 2020, 05:27 pm »
I was just wondering how many of you were into racing and especially road racing.

I live 45 minutes from Virginia International Raceway and in normal years attend 4-6 events a year and have also done some track days there in my cars.

I typically set up 'camp' on the hill between turns 4 and 5 at VIR. Here's my pop-up overlooking the track.

That's my old Corvette there, sold long ago. Needless to say, we got there a little early, pretty much before everyone else picked out the good spots.

I've taken hundreds of pics. Here are a couple:

Brian Johnson of AC/DC in his Royale RP4

Datsun 240Z at the VIR historics

Weathertech IMSA Challenge

Ferrari. Pirelli World Challenge at VIR

Lola T70 at Mid-Ohio

Anyone else have the affliction?

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Auto racing fans?
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2020, 05:41 pm »
Wow, a Datsun 240Z. We had one of those almost that color with a 4 digit serial number. Great car, but the Ohio winter weather did it in.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2020, 07:02 pm »
I've ridden along in a fellow AC member's C7 at VIR, and I attended that IMSA race you pictured. It's a great, fun track.

I watch F1, sometimes I even like it.

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2020, 07:03 pm »
jc, nice shot of your C5 @ turns 4/5. Long time race fan myself, been going to the Glen since the days of F1 and yes I was there when they burned the bus in the 'Bog' !  I have my fingers crossed to be able to attend the 6 hr race the end of June but it's probably wishful thinking !

jgerber4

« Reply #4 on: 7 May 2020, 07:42 pm »

Raced a Formula Vee in the 70s, now have a Porsche 944 track car.  Headed to VIR for a track day in early June.  Raced my Vee at Road America and Mid-Ohio.  All great tracks.

jcsperson

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2020, 09:28 pm »
Raced a Formula Vee in the 70s, now have a Porsche 944 track car.  Headed to VIR for a track day in early June.  Raced my Vee at Road America and Mid-Ohio.  All great tracks.

Nice. What are the dates? I go up there all the time. If I see your car in the paddock I'll drop by and say hi.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2020, 09:44 pm »
Nice pics jc. Yes, back in the last century I was sorely afflicted. Former CenDiv SCCA member, autocrossed at Indy Raceway Park, we used the whole road course. Also did one at Soldier's Field in Chitown. Some limited rallying. Driver's school at Road America, Augie Pabst was one of the instructors, and ran several of the midwest tracks. Not so much so since moving west many years ago. Occasionally get to the SOVREN | Society of Vintage Racing Enthusiasts weekend at Pacific Raceways now, 4th of July weekend, but the sport is not as accessible here as it is back in the Midwest & East. It is fun to see the vintage stuff still flogging the course, and there are a lot of known vintage cars out here. The UOP Shadow to mention one.

I was just commenting to a friend the other day after seeing a Lotus Super 7 picture, what a pita it was having to run in the same class as that in a '62 TR4 back in the day at the autocrosses. Co-drove a friend's CSR in a 4 hr enduro at IRP which was a blast, particularly since I got it after the brakes started going out. Never dull moment. I still miss the smell of real Castor oil in the pits.

Enjoy, have fun, & Be safe.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2020, 10:05 pm »
I not realize it was a T70 MK2 spyder, always used to the coupe model.

jcsperson

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2020, 10:30 pm »
^^^^^^Great-looking car!^^^^^^

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2020, 11:47 pm »
I watch F1, sometimes I even like it.

I did until 2008.  :roll:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2020, 12:01 am »
I missing the Endurance and Can-Am series, no hybrid motors please:duh:
« Last Edit: 9 May 2020, 02:45 am by FullRangeMan »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2020, 03:29 am »
I missing the Endurance and Can-Am series, no hybrid motors  :duh:

Can-Am was awesome racing.  I remember Jim Hall and how innovative he was. 

jcsperson

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2020, 01:50 pm »
If you like Can-Am, Trans-Am, or older racing series, you should check out historic racing. It's a big thing now and almost every road course hosts them. Monterrey is the king, but Watkins Glen, Sebring, VIR, Road Atlanta, and Road America have them.

Did someone mention Can-Am?

Did someone mention Chaparral?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2020, 03:17 pm »
Back in the late 70's used to attend races at Mid-Ohio with friends.  Checking out the exotics that fans drove to the track was as much fun as watching the races.  Went to the last F1 held at Watkins Glen (1979) but the cold and rain was so bad (let alone the lack of decent seating) that I only stayed for the warmups (many visitor cars were already stuck in the mud before I left). 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2020, 05:11 pm »
The Chaparral fan was an innovation at the time, but could no resist to the McLaren best engines, so the solo effect made no great improvement.

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 8 May 2020, 08:04 pm »
I couple oldies from a few years back .......... 'Deltawing' @ the Glen

Gavin, Milner and Garcia (Team Corvette)

stlrman

« Reply #16 on: 8 May 2020, 10:39 pm »
Jcsperson , I’m not really a fan but,
Have you seen the F1 series on Netflix? It’s gripping , exciting , amazing series !!

jcsperson

« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2020, 02:47 am »
Jcsperson , I’m not really a fan but,
Have you seen the F1 series on Netflix? It’s gripping , exciting , amazing series !!

I haven't, but I'll check it out.

Groovin

« Reply #18 on: 9 May 2020, 03:29 am »
If you like Can-Am, Trans-Am, or older racing series, you should check out historic racing. It's a big thing now and almost every road course hosts them. Monterrey is the king, but Watkins Glen, Sebring, VIR, Road Atlanta, and Road America have them. That 66 fan car in the picture is cool all of them are i raced go carts for a decade Road America was a fun racetrack

Did someone mention Can-Am?

Did someone mention Chaparral?

twitch54

« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2020, 02:17 pm »
Well with NASCAR opening up (no spectators) this weekend I see IMSA announced yesterday their planned schedule going forward with a start on 4th of July weekend back @ Daytona(no spectators). Thankfully the 6hr @ the Glen has been saved and moved to the first weekend in Oct where hopefully we will be able to attend !