NBA season suspended

OzarkTom

Re: NBA season suspended
« Reply #80 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:28 am »
A FB friend took the last plane out of Peru. They have closed all of their borders.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #81 on: 17 Mar 2020, 12:23 pm »
So I've been fired from my job, as babysitter to my grandson.  My DiL was sent home from her job yesterday, and previously my son had been strongly urged to work from home in his banking position.  All not essential businesses have been closed or curtailed in Pennsyltucky.  As of yesterday McDonald's was open for takeout only, you could buy a beer at a bar, but you had to take it with you, no drinking inside.  Talking this morning we were trying to decide on a metric as to what day of the pandemic we are in, and we decided it started when the bars closed.  Still no toilet paper.

mcgsxr

« Reply #82 on: 17 Mar 2020, 12:49 pm »
Our Province (Ontario Canada) is under a state of emergency.

All public meeting places closed except for take out food. 

My wife working from home.

Schools cancelled till at least April, maybe for the year.

Tunes working well.  I try to limit my news, and get in front of my music.

Hope all are keeping well.  Interesting times. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #83 on: 17 Mar 2020, 03:28 pm »
With all the sporting events closing, couples will have to resort to bedroom sports. Are we going to see a bid baby boom in about nine months? :popcorn:

stlrman

« Reply #84 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:04 pm »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #85 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:06 pm »

I thought it was Winnie the Poo.

WC

« Reply #86 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:16 pm »
With all the sporting events closing, couples will have to resort to bedroom sports. Are we going to see a bid baby boom in about nine months? :popcorn:

Or even more divorces if they find out that they can't get along real well when living in close proximity.

kmmd

« Reply #87 on: 18 Mar 2020, 01:12 pm »
As most of us know, 4 Brooklyn Nets players tested positive yesterday including KD.  Lakers players will be tested today, and I would not be surprised if several are positive.  I hope and pray that they are not.

Here are a few more links to provide more information. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/who-considers-airborne-precautions-for-medical-staff-after-study-shows-coronavirus-can-survive-in-air.html
https://www.emrap.org/corependium/chapter/rec906m1mD6SRH9np/Novel-Coronavirus-2019-COVID-19?MainSearch=%22Novel+Coronavirus+2019+(COVID-19)%22&SearchType=%22text%22

What stands out to me is this:

Incubation period
The incubation period ranges from 1 to 14 days and is typically 4 to 5 days.※
Incubation periods of up to 24 days have been documented in case reports.※

PITFALLS
Patients may be infectious for 5-13 days after symptoms resolve.※

Get ready for a long lock down.

Also:
Transmission
SARS-CoV-2 appears to be transmitted through respiratory droplets; however, the virus is present in blood, stool, and urine.※
The CDC suggests social isolation of at least 6 feet to reduce spread.※
Fomite spread also appears to be likely because the virus can live for an indeterminate amount of time on surfaces and be transmitted to patients by touch and transfer to mucus membranes.※
Transmission via asymptomatic carriers has also been described.※
Social distancing refers to the practice of limiting mass gatherings and events, as well as small group congregations. It also involves maintaining distance (approximately 6 feet or 2 meters) from other single individuals when possible.※ It is a containment technique for “flattening the curve” of the spread of infection.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #88 on: 18 Mar 2020, 02:13 pm »
I haven't been so proud of our citizens as I was at Dollar General this morning.  I didn't hoard toilet paper because I assumed it would be a very short lived problem.  Needless to say I was wrong.  DG has instituted senior hour for the first hour of business 8-9am reserved for elder Americans to shop with less pressure and four of us were waiting at the door and talked a bit.  One gentleman was shopping for cancer patients in his neighborhood.  The nice lady opened the doors and said two packages only, which we all knew anyway.  We all went to the back of the store and I handed out the packages to everyone, making sure the cancer shopper got two of the larger size bundles while the rest of us took one large and one small.  We all arrived at the register at the same time and queued up in the order we entered the store, the young lady was afraid it might be a feeding frenzy and was amazed at our cooperation.  It was all a small thing, but illustrated what Americans are all about.  We pitch together to help each other in times of crisis, we're brave, courageous, giving, selfless.  When we put our boats in flooded streets, run into burning buildings, or hand out TP at Dollar General, nobody asks what your race is or who you voted for, we're Americans.

kmmd

« Reply #89 on: 18 Mar 2020, 02:17 pm »
Thanks for sharing Letitroll.  That is beautiful and definitely shows that we are all Americans at our core.  We are all in this together and can all work together to get through this.  United we stand! 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #90 on: 18 Mar 2020, 03:33 pm »
I Kmmd, I suspected all along that you could be contagious for a 2-4 weeks after resolution of COVID.  With influenza, you are contagious for up to 2 weeks after the initial first week of the illness.  With Hand-Foot and Mouth disease, you shed the virus in your stool for 6-8 weeks.  With mononucleosis, you are contagious for at least 3 months and possibly for over a year as well as the 30-60 day incubation period.

stlrman

« Reply #91 on: 18 Mar 2020, 04:26 pm »
If you can , I think it is much much better to order your food online , and have it delivered or pick it up in your car . We also took steps to take all the foods out of the boxes, and sanitizing all food packages.

We went to the supermarket yesterday. It will be our last trip going inside a store. It’s impossible to keep safe distances , a guy in front of us wiped his nose 20 times .
We did self check out as well , as the check out guy is touching thousands of items .

Fuck that !!! We WILL order everything online . Have one guy load the shit  in our car , and clean everything when we get home .
My wife is slightly OCD , this is right in her wheel house .

Stay safe

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #92 on: 18 Mar 2020, 04:41 pm »
Our hospital system ran out of head covers and still want us to see potential virus patients.  I said FK that and ordered 1000 head covers.  It took me over an hour to find a company that had them in stock.  They also ran out of shoe covers and want us to buy a pair of shoes for work, clean them with disinfectant wipes and wear another pair home.

I smell a huge lawsuit if someone dies from not being provided  proper protection.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #93 on: 18 Mar 2020, 04:58 pm »
Wow, this is unbelievable. I feel for all the health care providers ill equipped working long hours on the frontline of this horrible situation. Be extra nice to these people and express your gratitude, without their hard work and dedication things would be far worse.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #94 on: 18 Mar 2020, 05:24 pm »
Wow, this is unbelievable. I feel for all the health care providers ill equipped working long hours on the frontline of this horrible situation. Be extra nice to these people and express your gratitude, without their hard work and dedication things would be far worse.

Thank you Wind Chaser.

Photon46

« Reply #95 on: 18 Mar 2020, 07:41 pm »

Couldn't agree more. Also grateful for everyone who greases the wheels of that our modern world runs on; truck drivers, cashiers, firemen, police officers, EMT personnel, etc. BTW, be extra thankful for your dentists, they arguably have the greatest risk of contracting Covid-19 of any profession.

charmerci

« Reply #96 on: 18 Mar 2020, 11:15 pm »
Conversation with a friend.
Friend - OMG, went to City Market and there was no toilet paper!
Did you go to the other stores in town?
No.
*rolls eyes*

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #97 on: 18 Mar 2020, 11:22 pm »
I just walked to the end of my street and looked 10 miles north and the steam is poring out of the 2 pulp mills.  Both produce Toilet paper and the Georgia Pacific plant will increase its TP out put. ( seems like a place I should make a pun).

Alan

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #98 on: 19 Mar 2020, 12:25 am »
Good luck to us all, especially those of you on the front lines.  One of my best friend is an EMT and his wife works at the hospital.  It's ironic; he's actually kind of a doomsday prepper, has years of food, an independant water supply, guns, ammo, and lives 25 miles from civilization up a mountainside that's barely accessible to wheeled traffic that's not a jacked up 4WD.  Yet for all that he's probably in a worse spot than I am due to his work.

I'm the Exec Chef for a nonprofit.  We've cancelled our programs at least through May and will all be working from home.  I will be creating content for our clients and their families that will provide support to them.  Stuff like menu planning, how to cook with limited resources and canned food, etc.  Some is busy work but my employer has committed to keeping everyone on staff at full pay.  Luckily we don't get revenue from those we support (we serve special operations military folks and their families, especially Gold Star families).  Financially I should be fine as our funding is allocated a few years in advance.  But I'm going stir crazy already and it's only beginning!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #99 on: 19 Mar 2020, 12:47 am »
I braved the outside world twice today:
a motorcycle ride during my lunch break and I see that car drivers are still out there poking along on the back roads and then a ride after work to brave the grocery store for tortoise food.
Lots of produce available but no chicken for making soup. 
Frank Perdue, where are you?