75-85" TV recommendations???

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
75-85" TV recommendations???
« on: 19 Nov 2023, 02:31 am »
There's a bunch of technology out there that I'm slowly getting up to speed on.  And, much like stereo, you pick your compromises.   
I'm looking to spend under $2K to move on from an older Samsung Plasma 3d that I've had for a good while.  My wife and I watch 3-4 movies a week.  Mostly streaming, some Blu-ray. 
Any specifics to look for? Anything to avoid?

This one seems attractive...    TCL 85-Inch QM8 QLED 4K Smart Mini LED TV
https://www.amazon.com/TCL-85QM850G-Accelerator-Streaming-Television/dp/B0C1J4FKS2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1B86NWTPSD77M&keywords=tcl%2Bq8m%2B85%2Binch&qid=1700358807&sprefix=tcl%2Bq8%2Caps%2C338&sr=8-2&th=1

kingdeezie

Re: 75-85" TV recommendations???
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2023, 03:10 am »
IMO, if you appreciated the inherent characteristics of plasma, you are going to have a hard time with anything LED in its current iteration. OLED is the only real current subsitute for a plasma TV. Its bests Plasma in everything except motion, where Plasma still remains supreme amongst flat screen TVs.

Because you can achieve pixel level control with OLED, and are not bottlenecked by LED dimming zones, you can achieve greater black levels and higher levels of perceived contrast. LEDs can get much brighter on average, but can't control dynamic scenes of light and dark the same way an OLED can.

LEDs have certainly gotten much better, and have closed the gap significantly, but I think for movies its hard to beat OLED.

That TCL will likely provide you a great picture, but coming from plasma I would miss certain key attributes that I only now find in OLED (deep black levels, great dynamic contrast, and there's just something about emissive displays that my eyes like).

I think you could probably get a 77 inch LG B or C series for around your budget, especially with holiday sales coming up.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2023, 04:06 am »
Iam not a expert in screen technology or HT.
But by what I saw stay away from Philips and Sony.
Both have the strongest Planed Obsolecense I have seen.
P will fail 2 months after the warranty expired.
S will last a little longer but ask a higher price.

Said it about 20 years a go when I watched TV I never had problem with Toshiba and AOC (inexpensive), my current PC monitor are AOC, no prob since 2006 in daily use.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2023, 08:43 am by FullRangeMan »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2023, 09:04 am »
OLED is the way to go, IMO.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2023, 10:39 am »
OLED is the way to go, IMO.

Couldn’t agree more!

But he won’t get the size he is looking for on that budget.

Spend a little more and get this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-77-class-c3-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6535930.p?skuId=6535930

I have last years model and the picture is outstanding!

George

GentleBender

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2023, 01:26 pm »
There's a bunch of technology out there that I'm slowly getting up to speed on.  And, much like stereo, you pick your compromises.   
I'm looking to spend under $2K to move on from an older Samsung Plasma 3d that I've had for a good while.  My wife and I watch 3-4 movies a week.  Mostly streaming, some Blu-ray. 

This one seems attractive...    TCL 85-Inch QM8 QLED 4K Smart Mini LED TV
https://www.amazon.com/TCL-85QM850G-Accelerator-Streaming-Television/dp/B0C1J4FKS2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1B86NWTPSD77M&keywords=tcl%2Bq8m%2B85%2Binch&qid=1700358807&sprefix=tcl%2Bq8%2Caps%2C338&sr=8-2&th=1

I bought the 65” TLC QM8 and I couldn’t complain with the picture for the price. The TCL QM8 gets really bright and will work great in rooms with a lot of light or windows, but the screen reflection handling is mediocre. Just know that it has bad off-access viewing performance and low resolution content looks really bad/weird. I ended up returning it because of two bad pixels and replaced it with a 77” LG C3 OLED. The LG’s picture seems more 3D than the QM8 and off-axis viewing is not an issue. The contrast of the LG OLED is better than the TCL since every pixel is controlled individually. All of the HDMI inputs on the LG C3 support the HDMI 2.1 standard unlike the TCL that has 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs and the others are the older standard. Sam’s Club includes a 5 year warranty on it and that is worth at least a couple $100. I chose the LG since they seem to have the best panels that prevent the dreaded burn-in. Sony and Samsung have the newer QD-OLED panels that look pretty outstanding, but it seems like they haven’t come up with a good way to prevent burn-in and I enjoy gaming on mine. I don’t want a life bar burned into my TV.  :nono: Most warranties don’t cover burn-in.  :duh:

The LG is about twice the price of the TCL, but I like watching older movies and shows and want them to look good. Sony does have the best picture processing, but I don’t want to gamble on burn-in. I suggest you check out Rtings to check out their reviews. https://www.rtings.com/tv

I probably would have been happy with the TCL QM8 if I hadn’t tried the LG OLED C3 after returning it, but there were no 75” TCL’s near me.

gene9p

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2023, 01:43 pm »
That large a screen can be very bright except in a very large home..not to mention very very expensive. Look for a 4K UST projector from VAVA and other affordable UST's. I have the original VAVA with a screen from VAVA..cost 1900..screen 500, size..100 inches..without using the screen..150 inches..no stutter as on OLED, built in Harmon Khardon speakers and yes it does 3D

oh..and the OLED is impossible to sell if you decide to change tv's . Expect  a HUGE loss if you do.

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2023, 01:46 pm »
We bought an LG C3 OLED 83" after Ian claimed our previous LG 65" OLED and it is terrific so far. I watch sports and maybe 1 or 2 movies a week, not much else. Highly recommended!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2023, 04:39 pm »
These are helpful suggestions and info.  I'll look at the LG OLEDs.  There is a an LG C2 that is in the budget whereas the c3 is not. This comparison indicates that not much is given up with the C2.  https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c2-oled-vs-lg-c3-oled/31229/37848?usage=1&threshold=0.10
No gaming, just movies. 

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2023, 08:08 pm »
These are helpful suggestions and info.  I'll look at the LG OLEDs.  There is a an LG C2 that is in the budget whereas the c3 is not. This comparison indicates that not much is given up with the C2.  https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c2-oled-vs-lg-c3-oled/31229/37848?usage=1&threshold=0.10
No gaming, just movies.
C2 would more than do the job, great buy right now.

GentleBender

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2023, 08:20 pm »
I agree. The C2 uses the same panel and will do everything you need.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2023, 08:44 pm »
I have a professionally calibrated 77” C2 and it produces a beautiful picture!

George

GeorgeAb

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2023, 04:42 am »
Good time of year for a TV purchase. I like the stop the FOMO TV advice and education. Consider things like if you watch during the day in a bright room, optimal size for distance from TV are a couple of things off that bat. Picture quality or features, etc. First video addresses those issues to best match your specific needs or get you thinking about them. 

Personally, I'm a Sony guy, but likely Hisense for your size, buget, and quality level. The second video link is on manufactures and their strengths and weaknesses so they are aligned with your requirements. For the your size and price point the value brands are Hisense, TCL, and Vizeo. Do look a their strengths and weakness and see what fits for you.  Of the value brands, Hisense focuses on picture quality less on features, TCL is a compromise between the picture quality and features, and Vizeo has lots of feature but compromises on picture quality. That is the type of info the video will provide. I say this as you linked to the TCL and it may work for you.

He also has post on Black Friday deals. The C2 recommendation is solid, but may not be in your price point for the size you are looking for. 

Please circle back when the deed is finally done to let us know how you did. 

Congrats and good luck.   

TV Buying to fit your situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksxF22BvMxU

TV Manufactures - What there strengths and weaknesses and do they fit your requirements.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_JrZ_roLF4&t=559s

Black Friday Deals, and how to go about looking for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSXzvOTnOIA

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2023, 10:37 am »
These TV usually lasts how many years until broke first time?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2023, 11:53 am »
My TV's (going all the way back to Plasma) have lasted longer than the technology.

Hopefully that trend will continue.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2023, 12:11 pm »
For the OP...I should have started with this. 

How important is the picture quality to you?

Just like audio, you can spend a lot more for incremental improvements.

I have multiple LG OLED's in different rooms and they are wonderful.  OLED provides a substantially better picture than LCD unless you put it into a super bright room with lots of direct sunlight.

For my HT, I even went the extra mile and had my 77" C2 professional calibrated.  I wanted to get every once of performance since this is a light controlled, dedicated space.

That said, in my bedroom I have TCL 75" S Class TV that was under $700 and I am equally happy with it.

It's picture is solid, the built in Roku allowed me to simplify the experience, and it meets my needs.

So depending on your priorities and level of performance, you can go in a few different directions:

Best Performance:

Get the largest OLED you can afford in your price range (I am partial to LG, but you could also go Sony or Samsung) - you might have to go over your budget

Really Good Value and Performance:

Get a TCL or Hisense and spend between $1-2k and you will be getting an excellent LCD TV and could even go to 85" if that works for you

Great Value and Good Performance:

Get a TCL or Hisense under $1k

The info over at https://www.rtings.com/tv are pretty good and a great resource to guide you.

Best of luck.

George

BobM

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2023, 12:53 pm »
Seriously consider buying your new TV from Costco, if you are a member. They double the warrantee period and offer another extended 2 years for very little money. It may be well worth it for about 8 years of coverage.

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2023, 02:48 pm »
No gaming, just movies.

I know everyone says the only replacement for plasma is OLED, but I haven't found it a great experience. it just seems to be a battle not to have everything pushed down into black. Just now there was a guy with half his face black, and this is the best I've been able to do so far (without ruining everything else). Whereas with the plasma I don't think I even changed any settings, nor did I ever have that kind of "hey that doesn't look right" experience.

I actually bought it a few months ago and put it aside, and am having another go at it now. Maybe in a few days I'll be singing a different tune. But just be aware that it may not be a simple upgrade ;)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2023, 02:52 pm »
I know everyone says the only replacement for plasma is OLED, but I haven't found it a great experience. it just seems to be a battle not to have everything pushed down into black. Just now there was a guy with half his face black, and this is the best I've been able to do so far (without ruining everything else). Whereas with the plasma I don't think I even changed any settings, nor did I ever have that kind of "hey that doesn't look right" experience.

I actually bought it a few months ago and put it aside, and am having another go at it now. Maybe in a few days I'll be singing a different tune. But just be aware that it may not be a simple upgrade ;)

What tv are you using John?

George

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2023, 01:18 am »
Hi, it's an LG C2. I've turned off HDR in the source (ATV 4k) and on the TV, turned off power saving. I didn't turn off ASBL but there's been a firmware update recently apparently to address that. In Standard mode I've raised the black level and tweaked various other settings. I don't remember where Gamma ended up being set. The room is lit but not brightly.
I'll try it for a few days and switch back to the plasma and see. Ofc the resolution on the OLED is better being 4k vs 1080p, I suppose I was expecting it to be "the same but better." But it's not that, it's a completely different thing :)