DSD DACs

wisnon

Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #540 on: 26 Nov 2013, 09:10 am »
Rather than just external HDD connections, Sony should offer at least 2 SDXC bays. SDXC has been shown to be the BEST physical transport out there.

sts9fan

« Reply #541 on: 1 Dec 2013, 02:32 am »
Grabbed the little Schiit Loki for my second system. Quite happy with the outcome.

k6davis

« Reply #542 on: 1 Dec 2013, 06:42 am »
Grabbed the little Schiit Loki for my second system. Quite happy with the outcome.

I second that. I use JRiver to output all of my music to it as DSD64 and the Loki performs far above what its price would suggest.

scorpion

« Reply #543 on: 9 Dec 2013, 11:21 pm »
Next out: iFi nano iDSD.

http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/Nano_iDSD.html

/Erling

kbuzz3

« Reply #544 on: 10 Dec 2013, 02:37 am »
The rollout could morph into separates, ie, pull the amp out and give me the audio engine. They have customers who gain from this approach rather than more Sony "all in one" boxes. Hey SONY.... get it right this round !!
totally agree i dont understand why no stsnd alone unit.  if they are marketing to the high end crowd-most of us have amps already. lol.  id guess most on this forum have more then one.

wisnon

« Reply #545 on: 10 Dec 2013, 08:59 am »
Chord announced the Hugo, a high end battery powered DSD-128 capable Dac.

Bear

« Reply #546 on: 10 Dec 2013, 03:52 pm »
I'm going to wait for one of these to become available before making any final decisions.  Hopefully, the price of these will come down to the $600-700 range.  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HAPS1-Hi-Res-Player-System/dp/B00FFZCZE4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

USB input:  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-UDA1-Hi-Res-System-Audio/dp/B00FFZD070/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

WireNut

« Reply #547 on: 10 Dec 2013, 04:02 pm »

I'm just learning about DSD. If I got a Loki, where would I get the tunes from?      Is it streaming only or do I store them on my PC?

shadowlight

« Reply #548 on: 10 Dec 2013, 05:01 pm »
I'm just learning about DSD. If I got a Loki, where would I get the tunes from?      Is it streaming only or do I store them on my PC?

I am still in the learning mode but you will be streaming via your pc connected to loki.  the dsd files can be either be stored locally on your pc or on nas/second pc.  initially i plan to use my laptop to stream dsd which are stored on another pc.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #549 on: 10 Dec 2013, 05:08 pm »
Shadowlight, that is NOT streaming, that is simply getting DSD files (DSF or DFF) from a hard drive, connected to a pc or NAS (acting as a file server).  Streaming is using an internet path using something like UpNp.  It is not file based, but instead streamed (packets) within TCPIP.  jRIver can be used as a DLNA device and stream DSD to things like a Lumin, but that's not the topic here.  He asked about a Loki, which is a simple USB DAC.  It uses a USB connection from a pc or MAC.

Wirenut, you would get DSD files from download sites (see our threads on DSD download sites) or from ripping your SACDs via a hacked PS3 method (see those threads too).

shadowlight

« Reply #550 on: 10 Dec 2013, 05:36 pm »
Thx Ted.  Stand corrected  :thumb:

tasar

« Reply #551 on: 10 Dec 2013, 06:40 pm »
And when you see the $$Cost!! of those downloads, you'll wish you had lots of friends with SACDs ! Now we have come full circle, as DSD was always the organic file (so to speak). As the "me too" marketeering unfolds, the learning curve will be daunting, and brutally expensive. Going back in this discussion, and worth noting, the SONY label includes the technology and ownership (licensing aside), with their own massive libraries. This could get ugly, or then again, cheap depending on which side of the aisle you're on. Me, I'm going to roll over and sleep till the stampede moves by. My bet is many equipment $$$ will be blown as this plays out thru the mass producers. In other words, good dacs will be integrated with garden variety. Can you spell cheap ?

scorpion

« Reply #552 on: 10 Dec 2013, 10:36 pm »
tasar, I believe you are right. So far I am afraid that the DSD-community is too small to make good money from. May be it will change.
Eventually prices should be no higer than regular CD prices and hopefully no more than the better MP3 downloads, given the existing resource that could
be exploited. Mostly Classical though.

But really any benifitable download should be considered, because as I hear it, most records played back over/converted to DSD benefit of a less agressive sound more analouge sounding.
A benefit at least to my ears.

/Erling

raysracing

« Reply #553 on: 13 Dec 2013, 02:06 pm »
I was looking up specs on my Sony Streamer for non audio reasons and lo and behold it sounds to me as f it will play DSD files, but I am no expert nor have I ever used it for music. I will try it this weekend and see if it has a bearable DAC. Now to DL my first DSD file.

Can someone look at the specs and see? Seems I can run all files though the USB and control with an iphone app.

http://store.sony.com/sony-smp-n100-network-media-player-with-wi-fi--zid27-SMPN100/cat-27-catid-EOL-Blu-ray-DVD-Internet-Players

stereocilia

« Reply #554 on: 13 Dec 2013, 02:12 pm »
"Discontinued. Contact us for other options: 877-865-7669"
Why would this be discontinued?
I was looking up specs on my Sony Streamer for non audio reasons and lo and behold it sounds to me as f it will play DSD files, but I am no expert nor have I ever used it for music. I will try it this weekend and see if it has a bearable DAC. Now to DL my first DSD file.

Can someone look at the specs and see? Seems I can run all files though the USB and control with an iphone app.

http://store.sony.com/sony-smp-n100-network-media-player-with-wi-fi--zid27-SMPN100/cat-27-catid-EOL-Blu-ray-DVD-Internet-Players

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #555 on: 13 Dec 2013, 02:19 pm »
No, this Sony streamer of yours does not play DSD (nor FLAC, for example).  I am suspecting it is not hirez either.  Where did you get the feeling it does DSD?

Sony only recently (this fall) announced DSD file-based playback, as we've discussed already.  Any Sony product in the past that even mentioned DSD (their own invention) was an SACD/universal DVD player that could send DSD via HDMI to a DSD-capable AVR.  That, unfortunately, is not file-based.

raysracing

« Reply #556 on: 13 Dec 2013, 02:29 pm »
No, this Sony streamer of yours does not play DSD (nor FLAC, for example).  I am suspecting it is not hirez either.  Where did you get the feeling it does DSD?

Sony only recently (this fall) announced DSD file-based playback, as we've discussed already.  Any Sony product in the past that even mentioned DSD (their own invention) was an SACD/universal DVD player that could send DSD via HDMI to a DSD-capable AVR.  That, unfortunately, is not file-based.

24bit 192Khz spec and pcm (lpcm) , but honestly I am just scratching the surface about this and dont know all of the required specs.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #557 on: 13 Dec 2013, 02:35 pm »
24/192 is a PCM spec, not DSD.  Oh well, it plays hirez PCM so that's nice (again, specs are worthless without hearing, and I'd suspect the DAC chip is comfortable at something other than 24/192 as many dac chips have their sweetspot NOT at their max sample rate, especially budget ones).

raysracing

« Reply #558 on: 13 Dec 2013, 03:30 pm »
24/192 is a PCM spec, not DSD.  Oh well, it plays hirez PCM so that's nice (again, specs are worthless without hearing, and I'd suspect the DAC chip is comfortable at something other than 24/192 as many dac chips have their sweetspot NOT at their max sample rate, especially budget ones).

Thanks and I will continue my self education on DSD. I really like what few hi Rez downloads I have and want more (especially classical). I like jazz and rock on vinyl.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #559 on: 13 Dec 2013, 03:41 pm »
Thanks and I will continue my self education on DSD. I really like what few hi Rez downloads I have and want more (especially classical). I like jazz and rock on vinyl.

We are NE Ohio neighbors.  I'd be happy to start a DSD discussion (including sharing my SACD ripping guide info) at a NE Ohio GTG.