DSD DACs

barrows

• Industry Participant
Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #440 on: 31 Oct 2013, 01:57 am »
exD uses their own USB interface.  It is available for DIY folks as well.  It is an in house design (not XMOS, CMedia, etc).

k6davis

« Reply #441 on: 31 Oct 2013, 09:10 pm »
So Ted_B...

When that LampizatOr DSD DAC review is ready, where will it be posted?

I need to know which website to keep refreshing...   :P

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #442 on: 31 Oct 2013, 09:20 pm »
I will post the info here.  It will be a mini-review (i.e a larger post).  Plus, I am soooooo far behind in writing for Computer Audiophile (Chord review) that Chris would fire me if I did another DC there before the Chord.  :)  Most importantly....everyone who has helped with this (wisnon, gopher, berto) are all AC veterans.  The NY rave DSD-only DAC arrives here tmrw, and today I sent the dysfunctional one back to NY for repairs. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #443 on: 31 Oct 2013, 09:58 pm »
exD uses their own USB interface.  It is available for DIY folks as well.  It is an in house design (not XMOS, CMedia, etc).

You're right, sorry.  Jesus thought my Lampi DSD proto used the exD board..which I then equated to Amanero (since it is indeed an Amanero board).  He corrected himself to me today.  Sorry for the tangent.

k6davis

« Reply #444 on: 31 Oct 2013, 10:18 pm »
I will post the info here.  It will be a mini-review (i.e a larger post).  Plus, I am soooooo far behind in writing for Computer Audiophile (Chord review) that Chris would fire me if I did another DC there before the Chord.  :)  Most importantly....everyone who has helped with this (wisnon, gopher, berto) are all AC veterans.  The NY rave DSD-only DAC arrives here tmrw, and today I sent the dysfunctional one back to NY for repairs.

I'm even more excited knowing that you'll be reviewing the same unit that was so impressive at the NY rave!!

I'm sure you would have anyway, but I'd like to request that you explain the configuration of that LampizatOr DSD DAC, if possible. Does it have balanced outputs, Duelund capacitors etc.? Oh and a photo or two (especially of the back) would be great if you can.

I'll wait for your review here.

Thanks!

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #445 on: 31 Oct 2013, 10:41 pm »
I assume it'll be the same as what I had.  USB input, RCA outs, IEC socket for power cord.  I don't think either box had the Duelunds in it.  Berto, Fred?

Scot's pic from his first listen:

wisnon

« Reply #446 on: 31 Oct 2013, 11:02 pm »
I think LF said the NY DSD Dac has Soviet Caps with small V-Caps bypass added to them.

The one that was damaged  had just Soviet caps….not sure if it too was bypassed.

Berto

« Reply #447 on: 31 Oct 2013, 11:18 pm »
I think LF said the NY DSD Dac has Soviet Caps with small V-Caps bypass added to them.

The one that was damaged  had just Soviet caps….not sure if it too was bypassed.

Yes that is correct. The demos are not balanced nor do they have Duelunds in it.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #448 on: 31 Oct 2013, 11:20 pm »
Speaking of tangents Ted, I almost rang you up as I was at NASA Glenn center Tuesday.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #449 on: 31 Oct 2013, 11:21 pm »
You should have, Pete.  15 minutes away!

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #450 on: 1 Nov 2013, 02:51 am »

Is this what you at referring to (http://www.sonore.us/DIY.html)?

wisnon

« Reply #451 on: 1 Nov 2013, 10:06 am »
Tf12,

What kind of speaker is that in your Avatar?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #452 on: 1 Nov 2013, 01:22 pm »
Tf12,

What kind of speaker is that in your Avatar?

It's a DIY 3-way I built with a few friends.  The speaker uses a ribbon tweeter, a polypropylene midrange, and an aluminum woofer.  :thumb:

Thank you for asking.  It makes a guy feel good when folks ask about their STUFF.

wisnon

« Reply #453 on: 1 Nov 2013, 07:20 pm »
Congrats.

Very attractive implementation.

How would you describe the sound?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #454 on: 1 Nov 2013, 07:47 pm »
Congrats.

Very attractive implementation.

How would you describe the sound?

Thank you. 

I am embarrassed to admit but I have not had the chance to really listen to the speakers for what they were made for.  I have always lived in apartments and have been fussing with DIY electronics too much to have everything working unitedly.  :duh:  For movies they speakers are downright awesome with their matching center channel.  I love them!

I expect to have my DAC back up and running very shortly.  Once that is a GO I hope to have my DIY amp repaired and I will be in business.  I live in a home now so all is well in the world  :thumb:

My friend who helped with the crossover design and cabinet construction is quite talented.  I think the sky is the limit once I get back in business. 

wisnon

« Reply #455 on: 1 Nov 2013, 08:02 pm »
NICE!

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #456 on: 1 Nov 2013, 08:33 pm »
I am in Minnesota wisnon.  Maybe we will cross paths at an audio function sometime.   :thumb:

wisnon

« Reply #457 on: 1 Nov 2013, 10:00 pm »
I am in Minnesota wisnon.  Maybe we will cross paths at an audio function sometime.   :thumb:

LoL

I am in Switzerland!

Closest I have been to the Minn is Chicago last Summer….or is Seattle closer?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #458 on: 2 Nov 2013, 01:43 am »
LoL

I am in Switzerland!

Closest I have been to the Minn is Chicago last Summer….or is Seattle closer?

:oops:  I thought you were from Wisconsin.  My bad.  Chicago is a few hours away by car.  Seattle is half a country away.  Well, if we ever do cross paths I hope it's nearer to your parts of the world.    :)

wisnon

« Reply #459 on: 2 Nov 2013, 12:49 pm »
Not a problem. Yeah, I hope so too...