DSD DACs

wisnon

Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #320 on: 5 Aug 2013, 04:47 pm »
Randy,

U live near Ted, no? Have you tried the Qute with your Hynes PSU?

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #321 on: 5 Aug 2013, 06:47 pm »
Wisnon:

I do live fairly close to Ted.  No, I have not heard the Chord with the Hynes PS.  Ted would be better suited to answer your question on the Qute DAC as he too has, I believe two Hynes PS's.  One of them being the SR3-12.  I would have assumed that he probably has tried the Chord with both stock and the Hynes' PS.

Regards,

Randy

mav52

« Reply #322 on: 10 Aug 2013, 02:19 pm »
Well if ya see ted, tell him to hurry up with this review of the Chord DAC  :roll:

wisnon

« Reply #323 on: 10 Aug 2013, 04:13 pm »
Wisnon:

I do live fairly close to Ted.  No, I have not heard the Chord with the Hynes PS.  Ted would be better suited to answer your question on the Qute DAC as he too has, I believe two Hynes PS's.  One of them being the SR3-12.  I would have assumed that he probably has tried the Chord with both stock and the Hynes' PS.

Regards,

Randy

Randy,
I have a fair idea what Ted thinks, I was looking for your opinion. Here is a tip...Check it out with the PH PSU!!! I think you will be pleased.

Blackstone

« Reply #324 on: 10 Aug 2013, 11:27 pm »
Has anyone heard the new Ayre QB-9 DSD? It is an entirely new DAC. Updated analog circuitry as well as DSD functionality.

wisnon

« Reply #325 on: 11 Aug 2013, 11:12 am »
Feedback is excellent so far.

this_is_vv

« Reply #326 on: 19 Aug 2013, 03:16 pm »
for some lucky backers they could get a DSD dac for 99$...down the link it shows it supports DSD

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones?ref=live

V

jackman

« Reply #327 on: 19 Aug 2013, 05:00 pm »
for some lucky backers they could get a DSD dac for 99$...down the link it shows it supports DSD

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones?ref=live

V

I'm curious about that DAC but find it strange there is no inflation about the performance anywhere.  No measurements or non-marketing descriptions available.  I'm sure we will start to see more low prices DSD dacs in the future.  My little odac sounds great with 24/96 but it doesn't do hi res beyond 24/96 or DSD. 

I look forward to comments on the low priced DAC because it could be a game changer.  I also wish they would post more specific performance info.

Cheers

Jack

mgalusha

« Reply #328 on: 19 Aug 2013, 05:14 pm »
I look forward to comments on the low priced DAC because it could be a game changer.  I also wish they would post more specific performance info.

There is a bit. http://mustgeekout.blogspot.com/2013/08/geek-vs-others.html

jackman

santacore

« Reply #330 on: 19 Aug 2013, 06:18 pm »
I just committed to one. I've been thinking about picking up a used unit like the Dragonfly for some of the audio editing I do on my laptop. This comes in a great price point, covers all the current technical bases, and will work for my needs. I look forward to hearing the finished version!

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #331 on: 19 Aug 2013, 06:26 pm »
Yes, I got in at $139, too, a couple of days ago.  Looks promising.

rklein

« Reply #332 on: 20 Aug 2013, 01:10 am »
$139 is gone gone gone... :bawl:

Had to take a reverse mortgage out on the house to get in at $159.

Regards,

Randy

rklein

« Reply #333 on: 20 Aug 2013, 01:20 am »
BTW, George K. over at Exasound is shipping back my updated E20 DSD DAC.  As soon as I break it in for a bit, I will be reporting back to all of you on the upgraded MKIII E20.

Regards,

Randy

mav52

« Reply #334 on: 20 Aug 2013, 12:46 pm »
BTW, George K. over at Exasound is shipping back my updated E20 DSD DAC.  As soon as I break it in for a bit, I will be reporting back to all of you on the upgraded MKIII E20.

Regards,

Randy

I'm looking closely at this dac along with the W2S DAC2se

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #335 on: 20 Aug 2013, 05:11 pm »
Hi all. I have had the exaSound e20 MKIII for a few weeks now and I must say it is kick*ss sounding. Until about a month ago I owned the PSA PW MKII DAC + Bridge. I am one of the first owners when the MKI first came out. As great sounding as the PSA DAC "was", that is the problem. Others have started to surpass it now and for less money.

I am waiting on a replacement e20 MKIII with the new custom clock option (from .13ps rms to .082ps rms). Now if I am right the .13ps is only .01 better then the base clock in the MSB Tech DACs (.14ps). The optional MSB clock is only .005 better then the (only $100 more) optional e20 clock, while the optional e20 clock is .058 better then the standard MSB clock. 
Now I realize that the e20 clocks may not be the famous Femto clocks but still. And I realize that it takes more then a low jitter clock to make a DAC sound great. And I hold the MSB DACs in very high esteem. But I also think they are WAY over priced in todays choices of great sounding DACs.

More later.

wisnon

« Reply #336 on: 20 Aug 2013, 06:43 pm »
I never understand all the fuss about clocks and jitter as the end all, be all to good sound...sigh.

hifial

• Ambassador, Sound Galleries & Taiko Audio
    • Sound Test
« Reply #337 on: 20 Aug 2013, 08:57 pm »
wisnon, Please do not get the impression from my post that I am at all suggesting that clocks and jitter are the only thing that matters. Far from it.

BUT, it does matter a great deal more then most realize. As DOES power supplies. And there are more. However, all I was trying to convey was that for the price of the e20 compared to MUCH MORE expensive DACs (like the MSB) you are getting a lot for your money in both specs and SOUND.

But I am curious. Have you ever compared a DAC with an ordinary jitter spec with one that had a very low jitter spec? What was your experience? And if so what brand and models were they? I am not trying to put you on the spot. I am really interested in your experience on this, if any.

wisnon

« Reply #338 on: 20 Aug 2013, 10:21 pm »
In general I agree with you. I think power supply and amplitude distortion is a bigger deal. However, lower jitter(spectrum) not point jitter is also a significant contributor.

I think many attempts to get low point jitter scores defeat the purpose. Sort of how lowering Cholesterol level below and arbitrary benchmark with statins actually do more damage faster than doing nothing at all.

OzarkTom

« Reply #339 on: 21 Aug 2013, 03:28 am »
Sort of how lowering Cholesterol level below and arbitrary benchmark with statins actually do more damage faster than doing nothing at all.

And the right diet will lower your cholesterol faster than any statin can and with no side effects.