DSD DACs

Maxvla

Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #140 on: 24 Feb 2013, 04:08 am »
X-Sabre general availability will be in mid March.

Maxvla

« Reply #141 on: 27 Feb 2013, 08:50 am »
Got it tonight. A few pics for now. Impressions later. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've got it working with DSD in Foobar and JRiver and of course DXD works as well. It is now available for pre-order, with delivery sometime in mid to late March.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #142 on: 27 Feb 2013, 02:08 pm »
Nice.  I understand from Arthur that you will be reviewing for some Head-Fi feedback (along with project86) and the upcoming Austin show, but will you be listening to it through amp/speakers too? 

Maxvla

« Reply #143 on: 27 Feb 2013, 05:58 pm »
Hm.. It is possible, but my speaker gear is far less refined. A pair of Paradigm Studio 40v4 large bookshelves powered by a vintage Pioneer SX-9 (125WPC) + Velodyne CHT12.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #144 on: 27 Feb 2013, 06:04 pm »
Hm.. It is possible, but my speaker gear is far less refined. A pair of Paradigm Studio 40v4 large bookshelves powered by a vintage Pioneer SX-9 (125WPC) + Velodyne CHT12.

Ok, no problem.  Then I guess you will compare X-Sabre to other DACS you've heard through your hp's?

sfox7076

« Reply #145 on: 27 Feb 2013, 07:29 pm »
Excited to see the review of the X-Sabre.  I am trying to decide on buying the Meitner or buying a McIntosh D100 and another, cheaper DSD DAC to play with for a bit.  I think it will be the Meitner in the end so I get the best of all worlds...  I just tend to be that way.  Otherwise there are too manyy what ifs...

Shawn

Maxvla

« Reply #146 on: 27 Feb 2013, 07:46 pm »
Ok, no problem.  Then I guess you will compare X-Sabre to other DACS you've heard through your hp's?
Yes, I will compare it to the Schiit Gungnir a balanced, yet not DSD equipped, DAC. I may also be comparing it to the Resonessence Concero, an unbalanced non-DSD DAC.

As far as headphones and speakers I don't really want to start an argument, but I find it significantly easier to hear detail and imaging precision on headphones. Adding to that is that a headphone rig capable high end reproduction is dramatically cheaper, partly in gear, partly in being able to ignore room problems.

Edit: I will be visiting someone's home in Austin who runs a turntable rig with a Leben 300 amp and Harbeth 5 something speakers. If there is time we might try it.

glory

« Reply #147 on: 3 Mar 2013, 08:53 pm »
I have the Lampizator L5 dac with DSD. Only tubed DSD on the market??

wisnon

« Reply #148 on: 3 Mar 2013, 10:10 pm »
Are you sure your L5 is DSD capable? I am not aware that there is a DSD Lampi yet available.

Here is a tubed DSD Dac posted by Ted from about 6 weeks ago:

Well, Norman, looks like Lucasz won't have the worlds first DSD tube DAC after all...
http://www.lector-audio.com/digitube-dsd.htm

Maxvla

« Reply #149 on: 4 Mar 2013, 02:02 am »
Compared the X-Sabre to PerfectWave II and Lavry DA11 yesterday. Preferred the X-Sabre. The other two were close, but had issues. Tried the X-Sabre on the Leben/Harbeth setup, and actually fooled someone into thinking it was running off the WTL Amadeus. He was slightly drunk at the time though, heh. It sounded very good on the speaker rig, clear pounding bass, great attack with balanced frequencies and ability to image well and be detailed. I thought it sounded just as good as the most clean records he put on the Amadeus, but with a bit more treble energy (my preference). Having experienced a full night of vinyl, I can say I am definitely not cut out to be a vinyl person. Too much work, and if his rig is anything to judge by, not enough reward (or any).

@lexander

« Reply #150 on: 7 Mar 2013, 09:18 pm »
Compared the X-Sabre to PerfectWave II and Lavry DA11 yesterday.
:o
First, Chord QuteHD beats all in price range, not we have 1k DAC better than 4k PS Audio.
I'll be very useful to compare X-sabre to e20 and to QuteHD.
I almost bought e20, but that 2.5 times cheaper devise looks very attractive. And now cant decide which to buy. Can't audition any of them, because no one is available in my entire country. No wrong choices allowed, we shoul pick best one  :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #151 on: 8 Mar 2013, 06:19 am »
So, what's your vote for the best sounding DSD DAC?

OzarkTom

« Reply #152 on: 8 Mar 2013, 01:00 pm »
Digital Audio Review gave a mention of the X-Sabre on their website a few days ago.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/03/matrix-audio-announce-x-sabre-dsddxd-dac/

But it looks like Teac now has one for $849 retail, if you scroll down to the letters.

srb

« Reply #153 on: 8 Mar 2013, 01:45 pm »
But it looks like Teac now has one for $849 retail, if you scroll down to the letters.
There is a current topic about the Teac UD-501
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113671.0

Steve

OzarkTom

« Reply #154 on: 8 Mar 2013, 01:50 pm »
There is a current topic about the Teac UD-501
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113671.0

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #155 on: 8 Mar 2013, 07:02 pm »
An observation on what I heard last night listening to the Benchmark DAC2.

For years Bucky Pizzarelli Live has been one of my favorite SACDs because it does a faithful job of capturing the feel and ambiance of a great band playing in a small jazz club. Last night I played the DSD file through the DAC2 for the first time. I’m not sure how to articulate this, but I experienced a level of holographic realism that I’ve rarely heard from any recording.

I’ve done studio recording in the past and I’ve mixed live sound for over 30 years. The sound and feel of a band playing live through a good studio monitoring system or a properly tuned P.A. is burned deeply into my aural memory. It’s the immediacy and tactile pressurization of the senses that usually gets lost between the live event and what gets recorded, stored and played back later. Listening to the Bucky recording in DSD got me as close to that live feel as I’ve ever heard in my home system. It was startling, and joyous.

I can't tell you how much of this is due to the sound of the Benchmark, or the superiority of native DSD, or how this compares to other DSD DACs.  I've made my choice and am happy with it.  What a treat to have a piece of gear that can convey such a rich musical experience.

Russ

rhmmmm

« Reply #156 on: 8 Mar 2013, 10:50 pm »
Russ,

It's awesome you're enjoying your DAC and DSD.  The moments of realism and being "transported there" that can give you a rich musical experience is one of the reasons I'm in this game of audiophilia!

I'll have to check out the SACD you mentioned.  Last night I was also listening, and I had a similar moment with this disc: Roy Orbison - Black & White Night through my MA-1.  It was simply stunning.  The first track (Only The Lonely, classic Orbison) was my favorite and I listened to it a few times.  I felt like I was in the crowd.

Rob

munosmario

« Reply #157 on: 8 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm »
Russ,

It's awesome you're enjoying your DAC and DSD.  The moments of realism and being "transported there" that can give you a rich musical experience is one of the reasons I'm in this game of audiophilia!

I'll have to check out the SACD you mentioned.  Last night I was also listening, and I had a similar moment with this disc: Roy Orbison - Black & White Night through my MA-1.  It was simply stunning.  The first track (Only The Lonely, classic Orbison) was my favorite and I listened to it a few times.  I felt like I was in the crowd.

Rob

Guy's a little clarification would be most appreciated.

Russ is talking about listening to the DSD file version of that Pizzarelli SACD but, Rob, you are talking about checking out that SACD...or did you mean "file"? I gather Meitner transports can pass native DSD from SACD (through a propriatary optical link) to their DSD capable DACs (like yours, Rob), is that your situation and , thus, the checking for that Pizarelli SACD?

Now, if we are actually dealing with a DSD file --or files-- Russ, could you please be more specific, was it a downloaded DoP file (from where?), or some rip from the actual SACD using a suitable Sony Play Station, or was it some other way to stream DSD natively from computer?

Thanks and cheers,

Mario

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #158 on: 9 Mar 2013, 12:47 am »
The Bucky Pizzarelli DSD file I referred to was extracted from my SACD, thanks to Tyson's generous SACD ripping offer.

Russ

munosmario

« Reply #159 on: 9 Mar 2013, 01:48 am »
The Bucky Pizzarelli DSD file I referred to was extracted from my SACD, thanks to Tyson's generous SACD ripping offer.

Russ

Thanks a lot, Russ...out of curiosity, what type of file extension shows for the DSD files that tyson ripped for you, DSF or DFF, or something else? Apologies if that was already stated in this or another pertinent thread.

Cheers................Mario