VR4 to VR6 Upgrade? Who's heard of this? Anyone listened to them? Comparisons?

Aceboympk

Has anyone heard of this upgrade?  I've seen/read the upgrade to the VR5, but not the VR6.

Let me know your impressions if you've heard the before/after.

Thanks,
Mark

hi5harry

I don't think that is possible. I own the vr8's ( almost the same as the vr6's) and they are a completely different speaker both is physical size and the drivers used. Maybe the vr5 update is what you are looking for?

MichiganMike

I also wondered whether a VR4 to VR6 upgrade was feasible.  This question may have been prompted by an ad on audiogon offering a VR4 that was reported to have been upgraded to a VR6 that "Albert personally voiced".  I have no experience with these speakers and cannot shed further light on the matter.  However, one odd thing in the audiogon ad is the weight for shipping is only 80 lbs, which is less than half the weight of a single VR6.   
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1235881851&/Vonschweikert-VR4-to-VR6-up

hi5harry

My vr8's were 550 lb. shipping weight per speaker! Be carefull of this ad. Also. if you can find a nice pair of wood finished VR6's, BUY THEM!!!

msm_1

Having a pair of VR-4 Gen1, I looked into the upgrade modifications (including the latest).

On the older website, they listed a modification to bring the older VR's up to the advances of the VR-5/7 series.

This was offered at a unbelievable price of $2500.00 plus freight!! (how times have changed!!)

I've never heard of a modification to the VR-6 specs, but, with all the difference in cabinet design etc, I find it hard to believe it would produce the same sound. That said, I know my dealer has extra parts for all the VR models so a person could do their own DIY if they dared!

Might as well go with the newer VR-5 Anniversary upgrade for the 4's now.

Mike

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Having a pair of VR-4 Gen1, I looked into the upgrade modifications (including the latest).

On the older website, they listed a modification to bring the older VR's up to the advances of the VR-5/7 series.

This was offered at a unbelievable price of $2500.00 plus freight!! (how times have changed!!)

I've never heard of a modification to the VR-6 specs, but, with all the difference in cabinet design etc, I find it hard to believe it would produce the same sound. That said, I know my dealer has extra parts for all the VR models so a person could do their own DIY if they dared!

Might as well go with the newer VR-5 Anniversary upgrade for the 4's now.

Mike

Hey Mike,

That would be sweet indeed but the crating, transportation costs and recrating....whew.  Makes me want to appreciate the sound I currently have!

JackD201

The VR-4s and VR-5s of old had similar driver compliments (tweeter, 6" mid, 2 8.5" woofers per side) quite different from the VR-6s and VR-8s. I don't see how the drivers can fit in the 4 HSE and 5 HSE cabinets which have much smaller cabinet volumes and dimensions. While I believe Albert and his engineers at VSA can come up with crossovers that will handle time alignment electronically instead of physically the way the 6s and 8s are configured, for those looking for the sound of VR-6s and VR-8s I would humbly suggest that one try and locate the now discontinued and somewhat rare DB-99 SE which like the VR-6s and VR-8s were similarly voiced for use with low powered tube amplification.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Upgrade a VR 4 to a VR 6 is only a dream.

Unfortunately the VR 6 is no more in production.
The VR 6 is a very different design.

If you are looking for a VR 6, we still have one set in nat. cherry here in Holland.
It is really a collectors item.

Please feel free to inform.

Cor

info@musicalreality.nl