Is a set of passive volume controls the proper solution?

Mr.Retro

I hope this is the correct forum, please guide me elsewhere if it is not.

I am planning on replacing a solid state amplifier in my current system.  The amplifier is used with an active crossover for the woofers only on a horn loaded system. The Mid's and high's are run with tube amps and I alternate between two different pairs of mono amplifiers. ( different manufactures) . My sub is also horn loaded and has an active crossover in conjunction with a solid state mono amplifier.
      As you can see level matching is a necessary requirement and I am assisted in that task with a real time analyzer, calibrated microphones and sound generator.
So...……..  my current woofer driving SS amplifier has a balance control and a volume control, its back up amp ( quite old )  has separate volume controls for each channel. The new amplifiers I am looking at do not have separate channel volume control.  ( amp on..... amp off...  )  In order to level match with accuracy I need volume control on the amp and  have thought of passive volume controls after the active crossover. I could even use one for each channel.  I am concerned however about adding garbage to the signal path and compromising some of the benefits of a new amp.   
Thoughts?
Suggestions?
I would really appreciate your input.
Mr.R

RDavidson

Re: Is a set of passive volume controls the proper solution?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2019, 11:23 pm »
Sounds like you need an active crossover with attenuation control. Pass Labs, Bryston and Marchand come to mind. I'm sure there are other good ones out there.

brj

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2019, 02:22 am »
You could consider a speaker level (between amp and speaker) option, such as the Intact Audio 'Speaker Level Autoformer Modules'.  I haven't used Dave Slagle's speaker level autoformers, but have his silver wired autoformers in my pre-amp, and they are some of the most transparent devices I've experienced in audio.  Or consider one of his signal level units between pre-amp and amp.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2019, 12:46 pm »
If you are using it as a stage gain level control for the new amps, sure a passive control is all that's needed. It would be a set it and forget it level control. Place it near the amps. Heck, you then could replace the passive unit with a DIY pair of resistors.

Mr.Retro

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2019, 01:53 pm »
Thank you all for some great suggestions. I was in a bit of a mental rut and didn't see other possibilities.  Time to start looking into these options.
R.