Power tubes in Rogue Cronus Magnum?

rpf

Power tubes in Rogue Cronus Magnum?
« on: 16 Feb 2011, 10:13 pm »
I have a regular Cronus which I like a lot. It sounds really good with the EL34/6CA7/KT66/6L6 family of tubes. Not so good with 6550s.

According to Mark at Rogue the power supply and other upgrades in the Magnum edition match better with the 6550/KT88 family. It would be nice to be able to have that extra power at times. But I really like the sound of the Black Treasure 6CA7s and Genalex KT66s I use and want to know that they will still sound great in a Magnum before I upgrade.

So, has anyone with the Magnum used these tubes (or other EL34/KT66s) and how do they sound?

And how do they compare with whatever KT88/90/6550s you're using?

TIA

Rob

Sam-fi

Re: Power tubes in Rogue Cronus Magnum?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2011, 10:26 pm »
Research suggests you may like the kt-88 black treasure more?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0509/shuguang_treasure_series_6CA7_kt88.htm

Sam

rpf

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2011, 10:35 pm »
Research suggests you may like the kt-88 black treasure more?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0509/shuguang_treasure_series_6CA7_kt88.htm

Sam

Perhaps not. As much as I'm sure I would enjoy the BT KT88s, there is a mid-range magic to the EL34 family that I love, that seems to be unmatched by any other pentode and that I won't do without.  Hence my question.

Sam-fi

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2011, 03:13 am »
Yeah, that euphoric midrange has made me an EL34 head for the most part. My SET comes in tomorrow - we'll see how that works out.

It's good you have the sense to know your own taste. My understanding is that it will afford you more clarity, punch, drive and bass over the Cronus. But sometimes it is more your taste than audiophellia that should determine if an upgrade is a good idea.

Sam

jmowbray

« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2011, 04:08 pm »
I have a regular Cronus which I like a lot. It sounds really good with the EL34/6CA7/KT66/6L6 family of tubes. Not so good with 6550s.

According to Mark at Rogue the power supply and other upgrades in the Magnum edition match better with the 6550/KT88 family. It would be nice to be able to have that extra power at times. But I really like the sound of the Black Treasure 6CA7s and Genalex KT66s I use and want to know that they will still sound great in a Magnum before I upgrade.

So, has anyone with the Magnum used these tubes (or other EL34/KT66s) and how do they sound?

And how do they compare with whatever KT88/90/6550s you're using?

TIA

Rob

The KT-88's won't fit through the holes in the top plate of the Cronus. After having my Cronus upgraded to Magnum status, one of the KT-90's failed so I switched back to the EL-34's that came with it originally while I sent the KT-90's back to Rogue to be checked out. It sounded just as I remembered. IMO, the increased bass, punch, dynamics, etc of the KT-90's comes at the expense of some of the midrange magic of the EL-34's.

So, the short answer to your question is yes, you can always go back to the lower powered output tubes (at least you can with the EL-34's) after the Magnum upgrade.

Jack

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2011, 11:56 pm »
Check out rpf's other Rogue topic for a workaround regarding the small holes in the top.

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2011, 11:59 pm »
Thanks Jack, that's a relief.

As Eric has referenced, I've used socket extenders for the large width BT 6CA7s, Genalex KT66s and GE 6550s.

Rob