I need help from a towel ring Rainman

Doublej

I need help from a towel ring Rainman
« on: 2 Jul 2014, 01:47 am »
Ah the beauty of unmarked fixtures.

I have a unknown brand towel ring. The mounting bracket is a round plate with two screw holes and a short round bar press fit into it. The tip of the bar is flattened on opposite sides. The towel ring slides onto the bar and is kept in place with a short hex screw.

My problem is that the bar repeatedly snaps off the plate. I epoxy it back in place. Six months later it snaps off again. Repeat.

How the heck does one identify the brand or get a replacement part? It seems like it would be easy to replace if I could figure out who the manufacturer is.

Is there a Rainman of towel rings out here?

I need a Rainman of plumbing fixtures as well. The bathroom faucet needs a rebuild kit. No markings on it either.

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: I need help from a towel ring Rainman
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2014, 02:34 am »
You could find an old plumber who's seen it all and ask him to look at them. You could visit a plumbing supply house and ask the counter people. Or you could acknowledge that you have lived long enough to have entered the age of disposable everything, and just go buy replacements. Then you'll know what brand you have when you need parts and can't buy them next time.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2014, 02:39 am »
Pix of the item might help.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2014, 12:31 am »
Pics:

- without rod

rodge827

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2014, 12:03 pm »
Dj,

Look up a welding/machine shop near you and have them weld the pieces together.
Or, got to a large home improvement store and explain to someone in the bath fixture department your troubles, chances are they might have your part sitting around.

I'm a paperhanger and spend a lot of time in other peoples bathrooms  :eyebrows:.
I have removed and reinstalled that type of bracket many times in the past. The issue with that type is the towel ring/towel bar/towel hook is to heavy for it. The people who design such stuff should live with their creations before it is sent to market.  :x

Chris

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2014, 12:43 pm »
Drill and tap fellas.  Tap that plate, replace the rod with a bolt (might have to remove the head), grind a flat on it for the set screw and you are done.

Mail it to me and I'll whack it out for you.

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2014, 02:20 pm »
My idea?  Buy a new one.  When you start having to go to a shop or buy a tap kit just to fix a towel ring, it's cheaper and easier just to buy a new one. Unless it's some kind of special one-in-a-kind, can't-find-them-anywhere version.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2014, 07:38 pm »
But then I have to replace the rest of the set. Toilet paper holder, towel rack, robe hook, possibly the faucet too.