DIY subwoofers

Kmofflorida

DIY subwoofers
« on: 26 Sep 2020, 05:58 pm »
What are the options now days that people like for good movie and music subs.  I tend to listen to more music than anything.  I would like to build or buy 2 10 to 12 inch sub kits.   Dayton used to be pretty highly thought of.  Any others people recommend?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: DIY subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2020, 11:02 am »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2020, 11:13 am »
Recommend looking at CSS-audio.com for quality drivers/cabinets.   Consensus says go for sealed subwoofers for music (tight bass) and ported/passive radiators for movies (maximum bass output).

Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition, the consummate audiophile primer for learning how loudspeakers/subwoofers behave in-room.  In it he recommends 4 carefully placed subwoofers to reduce inherent in-room bass peaks/dips.  I use 3 to good effect.  As much as two smaller subwoofers work better than one larger one, adding one or two more is that much better.  Most make the mistake of putting their subwoofer(s) in line with their loudspeakers.  Think of a bathtub with 4 inches of water and moving your hand lengthwise back and forth.  Waves will travel to the end where they bounce back until they hit the next wave where they will cancel, double up, or otherwise interfere with each other.  The effect depends on frequency and location.  Putting all your speakers in-line will just reinforce this uneven phenomena.

You shouldn't dismiss assembled subwoofers.  Rythmik L12 is a compact servo powered unsealed subwoofer that only cost $1058/pair.  SVS SB-1000 is another compact sealed subwoofer that start at $1000/pair.  Both offer quality sound.  Cheap subwoofers are notorious for weak, one note performance.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2020, 12:54 pm by JLM »

knotscott

• Sterling Acoustic speakers, Dyna/VTA ST70 bi-amped
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2020, 06:38 pm »
I've got a Dayton SUB-1200 to augment the bottom octave and it works well enough.  I keep the crossover frequency set at the lowest frequency, and keep the gain down so I barely notice it.  For movies you'd probably want to increase the gain.  No assembly needed with this one, but I did add some additional stuffing inside the enclosure.  I'd imagine two of them would do quite nicely for < $300. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2020, 02:26 pm »
JLM please be mindful that this is the Cheap&Cheerful circle.  Your recommendations are all way, way over guidelines.  Thanks for your consideration.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2020, 03:47 pm »

lokie

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2020, 06:15 pm »
Infinite Baffle are relatively cheap especially since you dont need mega power amps to run them.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2020, 06:30 pm »
Used car subs have always been the go to for affordable bass for me.

Still running a ported Nakamichi 12 inch car sub in a DIY sub on the main floor.  Have also run a Rockford Fosgate 12 on OB.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2020, 11:34 pm »
Ages ago I had $100 Dayton sub that I used for movies, it rumbled (that's about it) with no definition. The Dayton was opposite of a fast subwoofer and didn't work at all with music.

DIY Subwoofer has fun designs like the 'The Beer Fridge', 'The Sidewinder', 'The Blast Furnace', and 'Snorky'
https://www.subwoofer-builder.com/

Parts Express has DIY subwoofers, plate amps and individual drivers, but the price of a single subwoofer driver is a lot more than the price of a completed sub plus you have to add in the price of a plate amp unless you have an old Crown or SAE amp laying around.

If I was going to build a sub I would get the GR Research/ Rythmik Audio servo sub kit, this is probably the cheapest and best high quality sub for movies and music but it is not Cheap and Cheerful.
http://gr-research.com/diysubwooferkits.aspx
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.html

Monoprice has a few subwoofers, the $100 12in 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer looks almost like the $4000 REL Gibraltar.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9723&gclid=Cj0KCQjwk8b7BRCaARIsAARRTL7UjEoKKoGY8ycAKHJBv02llmyf0uj3GxCLnRpTqDEVmV_x6VCGHF4aAnZ3EALw_wcB

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2020, 11:15 am »
JLM please be mindful that this is the Cheap&Cheerful circle.  Your recommendations are all way, way over guidelines.  Thanks for your consideration.

Thanks for the reminder, sometimes forget where I'm at.  But as others have indicated it's hard to have a decent subwoofer in a system that fits the C & C guidelines. 

zobsky

• Fringe Lunatic - Dallas, Tx
    • My Audio Blog
« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2020, 08:28 pm »
What are the options now days that people like for good movie and music subs.  I tend to listen to more music than anything.  I would like to build or buy 2 10 to 12 inch sub kits.   Dayton used to be pretty highly thought of.  Any others people recommend?

table tuba (if you can find a place to put it) or tuba18 (if you can accept no bass below 40Hz) - if you can build them. Personally, I miss my tuba18 more (a friend dropped it and broke it).

$ 30 driver, 1 sheet of 1/2" MDF or ply and the cheapest decent amp (I've run them off 5 watt tube amps before just for grins)