AODs - first impressions

jgb0194

AODs - first impressions
« on: 18 Dec 2007, 04:40 am »
Well, the "Arrays of Desire" have arrived and I've had my first listen this evening.

I've had some outstanding loudspeakers in my home: Talon Firebird diamonds and Meadowlark Blue Herons (w/the gas piezo tweeter) among them. None have the assemblage of virtues possessed by these line arrays.

Extraordinarily relaxed and natural sound across the full frequency spectrum. Uncongested with the most complex passages. Midbass, a relative weakness of every system I've owned, is particularly articulate and in perfect balance with the total sound.

Rick, my sincere gratitude and congratulations on a marvelous product. These loudspeakers are worth every penny.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: AODs - first impressions
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2007, 05:39 pm »
Well, the "Arrays of Desire" have arrived and I've had my first listen this evening.

I've had some outstanding loudspeakers in my home: Talon Firebird diamonds and Meadowlark Blue Herons (w/the gas piezo tweeter) among them. None have the assemblage of virtues possessed by these line arrays.

Extraordinarily relaxed and natural sound across the full frequency spectrum. Uncongested with the most complex passages. Midbass, a relative weakness of every system I've owned, is particularly articulate and in perfect balance with the total sound.

Rick, my sincere gratitude and congratulations on a marvelous product. These loudspeakers are worth every penny.

Good to hear that you're enjoying the arrays and subwoofers.  :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2007, 05:55 pm »
Pictures!  It didn't happen if we don't have pictures...

Seriously, congrats to both of you.

Bryan

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2007, 05:57 pm »

Haha... On a speaker building forum I frequent, they say the project doesn't exist unless you have pictures to prove it.

Congrats, I am sure you are pretty excited.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2007, 06:48 pm »
Please forgive my ignorance but what model Array is this? Also a throwaway camera & having a CD made up is alway an easy way to get pictures w/o owning a digital camera. I heard a set of Ricks Arrays back in the summer of 2006 at Beemer's home in Garner, Ma during Rick's trip to the Northeast  and was totally impressed with the fullness that his Array's projected into the room as was the richness of the midrange.  :thumb:
I hope to hear another set of Arrays again someday but for now, I'm just curious as to what model we're talking about here? Are they ported(I'm guessing no) and what subwoofer are you using? Also if you don't mind, could you please run down the associated components you're using with these "AOD's"? Thanks and congratulations on your entry to audio bliss!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2007, 07:10 pm »

(sub is pictured here vertically but is operated horizontally with the array on top)

Fountek Pro5i ribbons and Scan-Speak Revelator woofers with outboard crossovers built to my spec by NorthCreek Music Systems. Sealed box arrays and subwoofers.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2007, 09:06 pm »

Seriously, congrats to both of you.

Bryan

My back assures you that they did happen.  :icon_lol:

Pictures posted.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2007, 09:11 pm »
Yup - I believe!

They look really nice.  How do you like the Pro compared to the standard Fountek?

Bryan

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2007, 09:18 pm »
Yup - I believe!

They look really nice.  How do you like the Pro compared to the standard Fountek?

Bryan

It's better but it should be considering how much more it costs! This is the best array that I've designed and will compete with anything on the market, period.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2007, 09:26 pm »

(sub is pictured here vertically but is operated horizontally with the array on top)

Fountek Pro5i ribbons and Scan-Speak Revelator woofers with outboard crossovers built to my spec by NorthCreek Music Systems. Sealed box arrays and subwoofers.

Are these on your website yet Craig? I'm willing to bet this set of Arrays simply blow away what I heard in Gardner, Ma.! It just doesn't get any better(in my opinion) than having 8 Scan-Speak Revelators when it comes to a sweet midrange,,, incredible and not cheap by any stretch.There must be a base for these beauties isn't there Craig? What are you using for drivers in the sub? They look to be 10"res.

This has got to be 1 killer system that would give any waveguide setup a run for it's money,,,, especially both in the midrange & bass departments. You are to be congratulated on this masterpiece Craig.  :thumb: :notworthy: :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2007, 03:36 am »

Are these on your website yet Craig? I'm willing to bet this set of Arrays simply blow away what I heard in Gardner, Ma.! It just doesn't get any better(in my opinion) than having 8 Scan-Speak Revelators when it comes to a sweet midrange,,, incredible and not cheap by any stretch.There must be a base for these beauties isn't there Craig? What are you using for drivers in the sub? They look to be 10"res.

This has got to be 1 killer system that would give any waveguide setup a run for it's money,,,, especially both in the midrange & bass departments. You are to be congratulated on this masterpiece Craig.  :thumb: :notworthy: :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Good to hear from you again. Unfortunately we the subwoofers that were being loaned for the RS8 demo didn't make it to Paul's house and that would've made a huge difference. The sealed box RS8 is a low "Q" design and is -3db @70hz so the subs really help with the overall balance. That said, even with subs, the AOD is in another world and the extra cost of the drivers takes it to another level in performance.

The dual Scan-Speak subs are essentially 9" drivers so with two per side you move more air than a single 12" woofer. In this system they sit horizontally and form the base for the arrays.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2007, 05:43 am »
Got to hear a pair of them someday  :thumb: stunning