MC275 or SS Mac Purchase?

jackmonkeyhat

MC275 or SS Mac Purchase?
« on: 18 Feb 2019, 10:31 pm »
Hi all,

I picked up a used C2300 pre-amp, and I need to make a call on a MC275 amp or one of Mcintosh's solid state amps like the MC452.  I'm currently using Song Towers, in a room that is 16x14x8 ft but in the future I hope to upgrade to something like the Song3a. What would you opt for?

I have been using the Mcintosh C46 with a Job 225 (all solid state), but I wanted to upgrade the phono section of my set-up and get tubes into the pre-amp.
I listen to Country, World, Electronica and 80s music so if I lose bass with the tube amp perhaps my Rhythmic sub could mitigate this?

Freo-1

Re: MC275 or SS Mac Purchase?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2019, 02:14 am »
The current generation of Mac SS power amps sounds great.  They are definitely much more open and neutral sounding than the Mac amps of days gone by.   I've got a MC 152 power amp mated to a MCT 80/D 150 combination.  My speakers are large floor standing German type that are very efficient, so 150 watts is more than sufficient.

Personally, not a big fan of the current KT88/6550's.     

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2019, 02:35 am »
My pick would be the MC275. That classic tube sound is so addictive. The MC275 just keeps rising in value while the SS gear constantly drops. I wish I had bought one 40 years ago.

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2019, 12:58 pm »
There is a fair bit of difference between the original MC 275 and the various later versions.  While I am a big supporter of tube gear, for the speakers you are looking to drive, IMHO, the current Mac SS will drive the speakers more efficiently.   

If you could get your hands on an original MC275 with NOS tubes, that would be more tempting.  Today's small signal tubes just are not as good quality as NOS.  Most of today's 6550/KT88 tubes are not as good as the NOS types, which are hard to get, and expensive.  The Gold Lion KT88 re-issue is a pretty good tube. 

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2019, 01:31 pm »
A friend of mine has the C2300 Preamp, MC 252 and Salk HT-2TL's.  It sounds beyond fantastic. 

MichiganMike

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2019, 08:12 pm »
I have used a McIntosh C48 preamp and McIntosh MC501 amps to drive my Salk SoundScape 10 speakers for more than five years.  I am very pleased with this combination.  The McIntosh MC501 is now more than a decade old, but still gets very good reviews from many audiophiles. 

Some owners have reported a McIntosh tube preamp and the solid state MC501 amps are a great combination.  See post #254 at the link below.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=29619&page=26 

Slashfive

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2019, 02:32 am »
I too have a C2300 preamp and have 3 McIntosh tube amps: MC225, a pair of MC30s, and a MC240. I just got a Salk Exotica RAAL monitor as newly used and have on order the Song 3 BeATs (the Exoticas popped up for sale and I figured I’d try them while waiting for the BeATs).
Source is vinyl and lossless.
I’ve been too busy this week to set up the Exoticas (plus I want to reconfigure my listening space). Hope to be able to make it happen this weekend and will report back. Not exactly what you’re asking but seems our systems share some similarities.
For me, I thought by staying vintage with classic tubes, I could avoid upgrade-itis. I used to be an avid fly fisherman and was seduced by the latest modulus graphite rods and slick marketing. I shifted gears, bought a custom bamboo rod with completely different action/feel and ever since have had no desire to get new rods. Just enjoyed the fishing. Not sure if there’s crossover but maybe if I start with a classic sound I may find listening bliss from the get go...

jackmonkeyhat

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2019, 05:02 am »
Thanks for the feedback all. I heard the mc275 v the mc462 at a friend's house and pulled the trigger on a used 275 today. I hope to bring in a sub until I can afford new speakers. I will also say that I heard  Jim's exoticas on a separate system and they sounded amazing with a tube amp.  If others had luck with Mac combos or brought in a sub with their preamp that would be useful validation too.