If we were to offer mods for a DAC....

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: If we were to offer mods for a DAC....
« Reply #100 on: 20 Jun 2018, 10:25 pm »
Hi All,

I'm the first to have my MP-D2 modded by Dan so I plan to write a comparison of it to the "stock" sound and my Metrum Acoustics HEX.  I missed UPS yesterday so I'm hoping to

I am unfortunately having some issue with my system that I believe is due to worn out tubes in my preamp.  I hope to isolate the problem tonight and resolve it before the weekend.  If tubes are bad then it's unlikely that I'll get replacements before this weekend.  Wish me luck.

Jake

Hi, Jake.

I hope you resolve your preamp issues soon.

I'm delighted to learn your MP-D2 is Dan's first. I've heard your DAC at Greg's place and I liked how you had modded it. I'm very interested in your impressions of this newest mod.

Michael

jackox

« Reply #101 on: 25 Jun 2018, 12:45 pm »
Dan, I was wondering what you'd think about the sony TA-ZH1ES ?

Great unit, but a bit sqeezy in it.

modwright

« Reply #102 on: 25 Jun 2018, 06:20 pm »
Nice looking unit, but pretty small inside.  This is a desktop piece, yes?  I first thought it was portable, but it is clearly too big for that and relies on AC power.

What kind of mods would be of interest?

Thanks,

Dan

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #103 on: 25 Jun 2018, 11:46 pm »
guys that are getting your musical paradise dacs upgraded please chime in with your thoughts after you get them back.

Springy

« Reply #104 on: 26 Jun 2018, 11:23 am »
Dan,

This is the current D2 MK2 main board and I think you'll find the changes compatible with your mods. The main difference is the plug in upgradeable DAC modules and some minor layout tweaks.

Pete

modwright

« Reply #105 on: 26 Jun 2018, 04:13 pm »
I too am anxious to hear.

The new board layout looks great!  And yes, our mods will still very much apply.

Thanks,

Dan

Tubeburner

« Reply #106 on: 26 Jun 2018, 07:09 pm »
Hi All,

I'm the first to have my MP-D2 modded by Dan so I plan to write a comparison of it to the "stock" sound and my Metrum Acoustics HEX.  I missed UPS yesterday so I'm hoping to

I am unfortunately having some issue with my system that I believe is due to worn out tubes in my preamp.  I hope to isolate the problem tonight and resolve it before the weekend.  If tubes are bad then it's unlikely that I'll get replacements before this weekend.  Wish me luck.

Jake

+1 waiting to hear what you think about the mod!  :)

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #107 on: 26 Jun 2018, 07:24 pm »
Hi All,

Jake

Jake,

Your dac already sounded very good the way you had it set up before. I was impressed with it and look forward to your thoughts on the new mods Dan has done.

I think it's time for us to think about another G2G so we can all listen to the new gear we have accumulated. Of course seeing the great people is the most important part :thumb:

Dan, don't you live in WA. State down South yourself? Maybe you could join us some time?

Take Care,

Greg

modwright

« Reply #108 on: 26 Jun 2018, 07:33 pm »
Yes, I live just north of Battle Ground. I would be happy to join you guys.

Thanks,

Dan

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #109 on: 26 Jun 2018, 09:34 pm »
Yes, I live just north of Battle Ground. I would be happy to join you guys.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, I live in Bothell so a bit of a drive for you. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say it would be great for you to join us sometime. I will come up with a new date and let you know along with posting it on our audio thread we have here.

Greg

modwright

« Reply #110 on: 26 Jun 2018, 09:59 pm »
That sounds fantastic! I can bring a few things for you all to check out also.

Thanks,

Dan

MHL

« Reply #111 on: 26 Jun 2018, 10:51 pm »
Dan,

Any way to keep the tube rectifier with your mods for the MP D2?

modwright

« Reply #112 on: 26 Jun 2018, 11:47 pm »
Yes of course, the tube rectifier remains in circuit.

Dan

MHL

« Reply #113 on: 27 Jun 2018, 02:21 am »
Ok. I thought your SS voltage regulator did away with it.

modwright

« Reply #114 on: 27 Jun 2018, 04:35 pm »
No, still tube rectified, we just add a SS voltage regulator.

Thanks,

Dan

JakeJ

« Reply #115 on: 28 Jun 2018, 01:37 am »
This stabilizes the rectifier voltages so it operates properly?

jackox

« Reply #116 on: 29 Jun 2018, 05:23 am »
Nice looking unit, but pretty small inside.  This is a desktop piece, yes?  I first thought it was portable, but it is clearly too big for that and relies on AC power.

What kind of mods would be of interest?

Thanks,

Dan

Depends on what can be done.

I will keep an eye on your exploration on which DAC you like and what you could do with it.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2018, 05:33 pm by jackox »

Spenav

« Reply #117 on: 29 Jun 2018, 03:05 pm »
Hi Dan

Do you currently offer a mod for the Marantz NA11S1 DAC Network Player?

modwright

« Reply #118 on: 5 Jul 2018, 04:39 pm »
To JakeZ, sorry for not replying sooner.  The rectifier (tube or SS), rectifies the AC to DC voltage.  After this, the DC voltage is further smoothed with R-L-C circuits, using capacitors, resistors and inductors.  The purpose of the voltage regulator is to further smooth DC, but MOST importantly, it regulates the output voltage, keeping it rock-steady, no matter what happens to the incoming DC voltage.

Fluctuations in the AC mains voltage will cause the DC voltage to move up and down by some amount. In tube circuits, this results, in varying amounts of DC at the output of the tube circuit, even though it is cap coupled.  The output caps do block DC, but slow moving fluctuations in DC voltage pass right through the output caps, resulting in a DC voltage that is moving up and down at the outputs.  This could be 10's of mV, to 100's of mV's.  This can cause problems at the input of preamps and amps, particularly if they are SS types!

When the regulator works properly, no matter what the voltage coming into the regulator does, provided it is within the headroom range of the regulator (10%-20%+ ideally), then the output voltage will not change.  This allows the circuit to operate more linearly and also prevents any DC at the output of the device.

I find that this translates sonically to better bass and overall control and solidity of the sound!

I hope this helps.

Dan

modwright

« Reply #119 on: 5 Jul 2018, 04:41 pm »
Regarding the Maratnz, yes, we could certainly offer a tube mod for this product.  It would be very similar to what we did with the Marantz SA8005 player/DAC.  The analog stages in the Marantz units are all very simple and I know how to improve them significantly with our tube circuitry.