Selah Audio XT8 Impressions

XMarine

« on: 31 Dec 2004, 12:21 am »
I am not qualified to write an audiophile review but as a music lover I can describe what I hear.  Rick designed the speakers after many sessions learning my taste in music, room dimensions, associated equip etc.  Through the years I've owned horns, cones and domes, hybrid planars, and ribbons many of which were highly acclaimed.  When the speakers were completed, I had the pleasure of Rick and his family driving 12 hours to deliver and install them..How many designers are going to have the courage to do that?  What if I was unhappy with them?  It only cost me a dinner for four at a Japanese steak house.   :beer:  

CABINETS:  Bloodwood finish consisting of two parts...Cabinets 60 x14" x 14"...Bases 4" h with the crossover and binding posts built into them.  Perfect craftsmanship and very solidly built...8 Vifa woofers and 8 Fountek ribbons...Rick will have to supply the tech specs but we did set the processor to crossover at 60 Hz but the two channel listening w/o subs indicated a lowend around 35 Hz.

SETUP:  Rick designed the speakers so I left it up to him to position them. :hyper: He ended up at 7' center to center...49" from front wall...28" from side wall.  Interesting that the final position is very close to the Cardas formula for nearfield listening but he managed it by sound not measurements...Main listening position 9'...not quite an isoceles triangle.

SOUND:  The line array design affords a very wide and deep soundstage w/o center channel....No hole in middle.  You can move to any position in the room and not lose imaging or the sweet spot.  If you are over 6' tall you will lose some extension while standing but who does critical listening standing.  Instruments and vocals seem to have air around them and are in their proper position.  We tested them w/o subs and the bass was deep, tight, and musical.  What can you say about ribbons that hasn't been said?  Exceptional extended and crisp highs..  At any listening level there is no distortion and even at very low levels(which my wife likes) they do not lose their detail.  Anyone else out there have that problem?  I think so!  After playing some of my favorite cd's;  TD's Oasis, Junor Reactor's Shango, The Best of William Orbit, Hotel Callifornia, The Flamingoes' I Only have eyes for you, Doo-wop music, etc, I wanted to listen to all my CD's again to see what instruments or vocals I could never hear or understand.  Now I can say that's an Oboe or a triangle or a rim shot or the percussion is in the rear of the sound as meant to be.

SUMMARY:  Am I happy with the speakers? :dance:  :dance:  Best audio I have had in my room and the best sound these 64 worn out ears have heard in a home environment.  Compliments to Rick for an exceptional design.  I would highly reccommend anyone thinking of new, replacement or upgrades to give Selah Audio a call before making a final decision.  Please feel free to PM me for information or even an audition.

ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT:  Krell Amp and Processor, Integra universal player, Monster power center, 2 VMPS subs, MIT XLR interconnects and bi-wire speaker cable.    :drums:  :drums:

tkp

« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2004, 12:42 am »
Which speakers did the XT8 replace?

Bingenito

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2004, 01:07 am »
The XT8 is a taller version of the Xarray. See the Xarray on the Selah site
 2nd paragraph

http://www.selahaudio.com/id23.html.

Bingenito

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2004, 01:08 am »
XMarine- welcome to the linearray fan club :!:

I have been extremely happy with my arrays.

XMarine

RE: Welcome
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2004, 01:44 am »
Thanks Brian!  I don't have a lot of technical knowledge...just enough to get into trouble.  I know that red means positive and black means negative except when replacing a light switch.  That black one will grab you. :nono:

spectralman

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2004, 03:01 am »
Hi Xmarine,

Did you go with the sealed or ported model?  Was your measurement of 35hz a flat response or some dB down from flat?  Thanks.

Bill

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2004, 03:12 am »
Quote from: tkp

I'm gonna assume this question was answered correctly by Bigenito, but I'll ask it a different way:  
XMarine,
What speakers did the XT8's directly replace in your listening room?

Thx,
Ted_B

XMarine

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2004, 05:00 am »
Quote from: spectralman
Hi Xmarine,

Did you go with the sealed or ported model?  Was your measurement of 35hz a flat response or some dB down from flat?  Thanks.

Bill

We did the sealed version.  These measurements would be best answered by Rick.  I'm just the messenger of good listening.

XMarine

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2004, 05:03 am »
Quote from: ted_b

I'm gonna assume this question was answered correctly by Bigenito, but I'll ask it a different way:  
XMarine,

Thx,
Ted_B

I have sent you a PM.  Needless to say the speakers I replaced did not "do it for me" in my listening enviroment.

ekovalsky

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2004, 05:11 am »
I have sent you a PM.  Needless to say the speakers I replaced did not "do it for me" in my listening enviroment.

Please PM me too, I was curious...

I spoke with Rick tonight about a possible line array project.  I was hoping the curved back cabinets could be made taller but because of the materials used it seems they are limited to 5' or so.  I have a 10' ceiling and would really like to have the array near 70% of room height, so I will probably go rectangular.

If you have a digital camera, please post some pics!

XMarine

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2004, 05:41 am »
Quote from: Bingenito
XMarine- welcome to the linearray fan club :!:

I have been extremely happy with my arrays.

Brian

These are by far the best speakers I have ever heard.  Their dynamics, detail, sensitivity, and presence clone the early Klispch horns from the '60's & '70's without the 'honk.  My wife is not a music person but she acknowleges a better sound.  I have a somewhat dedicated room which is a basement room and she will not come down here when I 'm listening.  She loves to watch movies and I have an Optoma HD50 with VMPS 626R as surrounds.  I don't know how to post pics yet but will figure it out.  In the meantime, Rick can fill you in on my room.

BJ

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2004, 05:43 am »

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2004, 05:13 pm »
Quote from: XMarine

XMarine,

Thx,
Ted_B

I didn't receive a PM from you, XMarine, and PM'd you again about it yesterday.  Please try again, assuming you don't want to say publicly what you used to listen to.
Thx,
Ted_B

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2004, 06:21 pm »
Well, I think the fact that he has 626R's as surround speakers probably gives a big clue what his front speakers used to be  8)   It's too bad that it's all secret, cause I'd really like to hear a comparison   :cry:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2004, 06:27 pm »
I caught that, too.  Well, it''s probably a good thing to keep flame wars down to a minimum.  I'm very interested in hearing more of his impressions of the Selah's anyway.

Ted_B

Marbles

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2004, 06:45 pm »
I caught that, too.  Well, it''s probably a good thing to keep flame wars down to a minimum.  I'm very interested in hearing more of his impressions of the Selah's anyway.

Ted_B

While it's good to keep the flames down, I think it's also good to compare two speakers in the same system and give your opinion.

I think this helps others with the decision on which speaker to go with in their enviornment.

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2004, 06:49 pm »
I think that the secret to keeping the flames down, is to state carefully what you mean - when I read about someone's new component X sounding better than old component Y, I usually chalk it up to system synergy, and preference.

For example - some have likely read my reviews about the Teac tripath when it replaced my Sugden integrated - I hope that it did not come across as my dislike for the Sugden, it was an excellent piece, and served me well for 10 years.

In any case, nice report on an interesting speaker, and hopefully more thoughts to follow.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2004, 07:20 pm »
Exactly.  Just look at tkp's comparison of the Omegarrays to his RM40's.  He liked the Omegarrays better, but no flames....

tkp

« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2004, 08:01 pm »
Quote from: Tyson
Exactly.  Just look at tkp's comparison of the Omegarrays to his RM40's.  He liked the Omegarrays better, but no flames....

Tyson,

My pair is the Incredarray which is a lot more expensive than the RM40s.  However, with my preference, I put the Incredarray above even the RMX.  I could have gotten the RMX but decided not to.  

I do think that both the RMX and the Incredarray are up there with the very best and it will broil down to personal taste.  For me, wide sweat spot is a must without sacrificing other areas.

Direct comparison between speakers are beneficial and more meaningful because readers can use the previous speakers as a base, especially if the previous speakers came from respected brand.  The key is to keep the emotion out of the review and try to stick with facts.  

I have learned that good first impression might not lead to long term satisfaction and the exciting of getting a new pairs of speakers might take over one's opinion.  This is the reason why I have not written an official opinion of the Incredarray yet because I want to be sure that they are as good as I thought when I first turned them on.  So far they have met and probably exceed my expectation in some area.  Hopefully, I can write an honest opinion on them in about a month.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2004, 09:00 pm »
Quote from: spectralman
Hi Xmarine,

Bill

This is a sealed version. 35hz would be an in-room response but I don't know how many db down from the average level. In-room figures can vary quite a bit so that's why I don't include them in the specifications like some other manufacturers do. In my experience if you see them listed without a nearfield / anechoic response curve to compare to the company is either :

1) not smart enough to know how to do it (it's really not that hard) or

2) full of it

3) or both  :nono: