Audio Shows

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Audio Shows
« on: 13 Sep 2017, 06:48 pm »
Which have you attended? Likes / dislikes? Let's hear your thoughts.

Phil A

Re: Audio Shows
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2017, 07:13 pm »
Early 2000s - went to the NY Entertainment Show - was my first audio show.  I liked some things about it but it wasn't as consumer friendly as I'd like

Capital Audiofests - been to a bunch of those.  The initial one (Rick you were there) was just in a bad place acoustically. They are better acoustically now.  Don't care for the Rockville Hilton Hotel though.  Like the earlier venue.  It was easy for me to get to those when I lived in the DC area.  I made one trip up since the move (a couple of years back).

RMAF - this will be my first year.

I'd like to see manufacturers team up with local audio societies (where there is of course enough demand for the manufacturer or it works into their vacation schedule). 

Buying audio has changed since the old days.  There are few B&M Stores and while there are good ones, there are also bad ones.  With fewer dealers the bad ones just stick out more for me.  I have one local dealer about 15 minutes away and probably nothing else much for about 2.5 hours away.  The local dealer is only open I think 3 days/week.  I tried 4 times to get an audition of a music server (with me doing all the work like dragging my Windows music server in with a monitor).  Each time there was some issue and there seemed to be no interest on the dealer's part.  My read (and several other local audiophiles have told me the same thing) is that unless one wants to spend megabucks (e.g. $200k plus) they don't seem to care that much.  Not that what I was looking at was cheap (I ended up buy a used music server online for a dealer in IL and I'm in FL), but there is no point to have a local dealer if one can't get a demo.  If I was in the market for a pair of speakers, it would probably be easier to talk to a vendor or vendors and make a road trip.

I like going to an occasional audio show (doesn't have to be every year) just to see what is out there and what is new.  The one local dealer has very limited stuff (I probably have more equipment/systems in my house).

Delacroix

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2017, 01:47 am »
RMAF only, most years over the last decade.

Likes -- the chance to hear stuff I cannot hear otherwise....which let's face it with high-end stores nowhere to be found, is practically anything interesting now. I like the location enough - sort of manageable in scale.  And let's face it, you're in a community of like-minded fanatics....all good.

Dislikes -- almost certain that something I really want to hear is not going to be found (speakers mainly). That bit can't really be helped but it is disappointing to travel and not hear some highly regarded products that are always in the press and which we're constantly told we have to hear for ourselves.   Could live without noisy people who talk loud enough to destroy the listening experience for others. Rooms where they won't just let you come in, listen and leave without trying to sell you; Rooms of certain big name companies that think music is optional (yes, it's true, some rooms treat regular attendees as inconsequential while talking to their friends from the media). Or how about the room where the main guy is giving a pitch at the front and rolls his eyes every time someone new walks in....yeah, I get it....you want to explain your new invention that morphs the time-space continuum and these people just keep coming in like they expect to be able to go anywhere, anytime, at a show they paid to attend. The audacity!!!   Oh, and volume...did I mention volume...after a day at RMAF I need to lie down and give my ears a break.

Makes it sound like the dislikes are more than the likes....not so....but you asked.

Now, are you going to be in Denver next month??

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2017, 04:43 pm »

Likes -- the chance to hear stuff I cannot hear otherwise....which let's face it with high-end stores nowhere to be found, is practically anything interesting now. I like the location enough - sort of manageable in scale.  And let's face it, you're in a community of like-minded fanatics....all good.

Dislikes -- almost certain that something I really want to hear is not going to be found (speakers mainly). That bit can't really be helped but it is disappointing to travel and not hear some highly regarded products that are always in the press and which we're constantly told we have to hear for ourselves.   Could live without noisy people who talk loud enough to destroy the listening experience for others. Rooms where they won't just let you come in, listen and leave without trying to sell you; Rooms of certain big name companies that think music is optional (yes, it's true, some rooms treat regular attendees as inconsequential while talking to their friends from the media). Or how about the room where the main guy is giving a pitch at the front and rolls his eyes every time someone new walks in....yeah, I get it....you want to explain your new invention that morphs the time-space continuum and these people just keep coming in like they expect to be able to go anywhere, anytime, at a show they paid to attend. The audacity!!!   Oh, and volume...did I mention volume...after a day at RMAF I need to lie down and give my ears a break.

Makes it sound like the dislikes are more than the likes....not so....but you asked.

Now, are you going to be in Denver next month??

Thanks for your input. Sadly too much of the "attitude" still exists at shows.  The RMAF is a great event but I won't be there this year. I have a few things in the works but didn't have enough time to finish them for the October date.

There are some changes coming with a few designs being 7+ years old. The fact that they have lasted this long is rare in high end audio, especially when the "flavor of the month" has been so prevalent. I'm proud of the fact that these models have stood the test of time and remain great values.

djdube525

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2017, 12:44 pm »

The fact it coincides with the Great American Beer Festival is another "+" IMHO.....

Audio... beer... what else would someone come to CO for....

:)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2017, 03:25 am »
I just read about the recent TAVES show in Canada. It was moved to a new venue but many of the "rooms" had temporary dividers to split up a larger exhibit-style room. Really? Huge mistake.