• Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Tanzanite and RC4
« on: 18 Dec 2004, 02:01 pm »

tkp

Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2004, 03:16 pm »
Rick,

What are the specs for the RC4?  (dimension, frequency response, part used and prices).

BradJudy

Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2004, 03:36 pm »
It looks like there are holes for PRs on the rear of the RC4 - is that correct?

Marbles

Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2004, 03:56 pm »
Quote from: tkp
Rick,

What are the specs for the RC4?  (dimension, frequency response, part used and prices).

Same ???'s for the Tanzanite...

Thanks

Bingenito

Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2004, 12:37 am »

Looks like a vertical brace inside the cabinet not PR holes

mca

Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2004, 02:22 am »
Very purdy :D

I dig the drapes, too!

BradJudy

Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2004, 04:03 am »
Quote from: Bingenito

Looks like a vertical brace inside the cabinet not PR holes

Doh.  You're right.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2004, 01:26 am »
Rick,

The cabinet is 44" x 12" x 16"  and contains a side-mounted 12" powered subwoofer (optional), two Seas 8" magnesium cone woofers, a Seas 5" magnesium cone mid, and Hiquphon 3/4" dome tweeter. The response is 27-20K (+1.5/-3db), 8 ohm load, 86db sensitivity, and the cost is ?? (TBA).

Rick

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2004, 01:35 am »
Quote from: Marbles
Rick,

Same ???'s for the Tanzanite...

Thanks

The Tanzanite is a 7" shielded 3-way with the Seas magnesium cone woofer, Morel dome midrange, and Fountek ribbon tweeter. The response is 55-20K (+2/-3db), 6 ohms impedance, 85db sensitivity, and $1,495/pair (assembled). The cabinet is 17 1/2" x 9 1/2" x 12" (HWD).

DSK

Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2004, 03:40 am »
Hi Rick,

Just wondering if you could briefly tell us your thoughts on the sonic differences (especially: detail, refinement, dynamics) between:

1) Hiquphon vs Fountek JP3 tweeters?
2) SEAS mag 5" mid vs Morel dome mid?

Many thanks.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2004, 04:05 am »
Quote from: DSK
Hi Rick,

Just wondering if you could briefly tell us your thoughts on the sonic differences (especially: detail, refinement, dynamics) between:

1) Hiquphon vs Fountek JP3 tweeters?
2) SEAS mag 5" mid vs Morel dome mid?

Many thanks.

IMO the ribbons have more transparency and detail so that's why I prefer them. The Hiquphon has more "body" (for lack of a better term) and for some listeners its' more forgiving character may be a better choice. I could live with either one.

The Seas 5" works better in this system because of the crossover point needed for the dual 8" woofers. It has a more analytical quality when compared to the Morel dome mid and of course increased dynamics because of the greater radiating area.

DSK

Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec 2004, 06:53 am »
Thanks Rick,
Just a couple more questions if I may  :roll:  ....

1) How does the Tanzanite sound compared to the RC3R (I'm guessing a bit more detailed and transparent, perhaps a bit less warmth)?

2) On the RC4, did you use two 8" drivers just to increase sensitivity, or was it for sonic reasons (eg. tighter and more weighty bottom end, or ?)?

3) On the RC4, why did you go for MTWW rather than TMWW?

Thanks Rick, it helps me get a better idea of the sound of your different models without being able to hear them myself.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #12 on: 20 Dec 2004, 02:08 pm »
Quote from: DSK
Thanks Rick,
Just a couple more questions if I may  :roll:  ....

1) How does the Tanzanite sound compared to the RC3R (I'm guessing a bit more detailed and transparent, perhaps a bit less warmth)?

>>> Yes, but the Scan-Speak woofer in the RC3R is more extended and dynamic - that's the tradeoff. With a subwoofer I prefer the Tanzanite.

2) On the RC4, did you use two 8" drivers just to increase sensitivity, or was it for sonic reasons (eg. tighter and more weighty bottom end, or ?)?

>>> More weight and authority. The original design was commissioned for a fairly large dedicated home theater room and higher output was needed.

3) On the RC4, why did you go for MTWW rather than TMWW?

>>> With the 44" tall cabinet placing the tweeter below the mid keeps it at listening height when seated.

Thanks Rick, it helps me get a better idea of the sound of your different models without being able to hear them myself.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2004, 07:33 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new to this circle, and to speaker building.  I just saw a posting wherein Rick was asked of the sonics between a ribbon and a dome tweeter (like the hiQ OW, say).  I couldn't find any reply.  Can anyone provide any input?  I am planning to build a speaker around the HiQ OW series, but then I was told about the ribbon approach, so I need to do some research in this area.  Comments on the two types of tweeter are most appreciated.

Thanks.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2004, 07:41 pm »
Quote from: goldlizsts
Hi all,

I'm new to this circle, and to speaker building.  I just saw a posting wherein Rick was asked of the sonics between a ribbon and a dome tweeter (like the hiQ OW, say).  I couldn't find any reply.  Can anyone provide any input?  I am planning to build a speaker around the HiQ OW series, but then I was told about the ribbon approach, so I need to do some research in this area.  Comments on the two types of tweeter are most appreciated.

Thanks.

See my earlier post in this thread.

Rick

MarkM

Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2004, 07:49 pm »
Rick,

Could you please post the RC4 measurements for response, impedance and electrical phase.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2004, 08:58 pm »
Quote from: MarkM
Rick,

Could you please post the RC4 measurements for response, impedance and electrical phase.

I won't have those for a few weeks but I can tell you a few things. This is a revision of a design I did about a year ago. The difference is that a side-mounted powered subwoofer is being added. This will change the crossover a little since the 8" drivers will have an additional passive high-pass filter to integrate them with the subwoofer.

The 8" woofers are wired in series to match the output of the midbass so the impedance is going to be 8-10 ohms (depends on what I do with the crossover revision). With the subwoofer the -3db and -10db points (27hz,20hz) are the same as that of the Whomp! subwoofer. The subwoofer can also be omitted and with the same size cabinet the 8" drivers running full-range are -3db @42hz and -10db @25hz.

This system is very dynamic and detailed with  low coloration. I'll post everything when I'm finished.

Rick

sfpepper

Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #17 on: 24 Dec 2004, 12:04 am »
Quote from: Rick Craig
Rick,

The cabinet is 44" x 12" x 16"  and contains a side-mounted 12" powered subwoofer (optional), two Seas 8" magnesium cone woofers, a Seas 5" magnesium cone mid, and Hiquphon 3/4" dome tweeter. The response is 27-20K (+1.5/-3db), 8 ohm load, 86db sensitivity, and the cost is ?? (TBA).

Rick, Just a ballpark price?? (w/o side sub)

thanks...

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #18 on: 24 Dec 2004, 03:39 am »
Quote from: sfpepper
Quote from: Rick Craig
Rick,

Rick, Just a ballpark price?? (w/o side sub)

thanks...

$3,000 - $3,300/pr. depending on the veneer.

Rick

DSK

Tanzanite and RC4
« Reply #19 on: 26 Dec 2004, 08:03 am »
Rick,
I hope you and your family have had a wonderful Christmas Day and enjoyed some good food and good wine  :D

You mentioned that you preferred the Tanzanite to the RC3R when used with a subwoofer. The Carnelian shares the same tweeter and dome mid driver as the Tanzanite, but has an 8" SEAS magnesium woofer instead of the 7" version used in the Tanzanite. This allows it to extend deeper and therefore the subwoofer's LP filter can be set to a lower frequency. I probably would let the Carnelian run full range with no HP filter used (unless you suggest otherwise).

So, I am wondering whether the Carnelian sounds better than even the Tanzanite, when used with a low-Q sealed subwoofer (in a music only system)? How do they compare in the midrange and bass range and what would be the -6db point of a sealed-box Carnelian?

Thanks Rick.