Poll

2 Original or 1 Larger Sub

1. Another Original Subwoofer
6 (66.7%)
2. Trade up to a Larger Subwoofer
2 (22.2%)
3.  Hey, do you really need more LFE?
0 (0%)
4.  Save your $$$$ and get the RM/X you heard!!
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: 10 Feb 2003, 03:31 am

Larger vs 2 Originals Subs...hmmm?

Woodsea

« on: 27 Jan 2003, 03:31 am »
I would just like to have some other opinions beside the 2 others I have in my (sybal like) head.  I have an OSW now, I have until  August for the trade-up option.  Now do I save pennies for a 'larger' upgrade, or nickels for another OSW?  So, I am looking for dollars to performance ratio.  
Thanks,
Eric

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2003, 05:16 am »
If the RMX is as good as I've heard it's supposed to be, then go for that.  You can always "add" a sub later, but the RMX will get you very close to the performance of 2 Original subs anyway, and the better imaging and power handling in the mids/highs is just a nice bonus :-)

AVB

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2003, 11:45 pm »
Since Tyson is almost always wrong :) (just a jab at your sig) I have to say move up to the Larger.  2 OSW will only give you more output within their range while a Larger will give you more output and also go lower.

If you are saving for a larger how long will it take for the RM/X and you'll still need a sub for LFE anyway.

Anthony C

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2003, 03:20 am »
For HT, I beleive one sub is needed at leat for LFE. So,.....

with current speakers.... two original subs (adding a larger also for LFE would be optimal)

With RM2's, 40's or RMX..... one larger sub for LFE only with speakers set to large

I say this about the current setup as adding a sub for each speaker would be best for music (basically turning them into full range) and then the larger sub would be LFE only with the 626/orig combo set to large

If HT is you main interest though, I would think the RMX would be too much as I don't think the best music speakers are always the best HT. To get the most from these speakers I think you need a high end preamp so if you use a pre/pro you would need one with a HT bypass.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2003, 03:52 am »
trade it for two largers!   :)   but, i'd rather have two orig's than one larger.  of course, ya can get the one larger now, & get another one later... :wink:

doug s., w/two larger's...  audio only, no ht...

Audio Architect

Re: Larger vs 2 Originals Subs...hmmm?
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2003, 01:00 am »
Quote from: Woodsea
I would just like to have some other opinions beside the 2 others I have in my (sybal like) head.  I have an OSW now, I have until  August for the trade-up option.  Now do I save pennies for a 'larger' upgrade, or nickels for another OSW?  So, I am looking for dollars to performance ratio.  
Thanks,
Eric

I have been using 2 sunfire subs for a few years now and I feel that 2 subs interact with the room in a better fasion than one plus thay don't have to work very hard so there is les ditortion.

warnerwh

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2003, 10:23 pm »
Two originals being as you must have the room.  You can integrate them better and they only have to do half the work, ie less distortion and the power is spread out better in the room.