Which choices make most sense?

mellowjammer

« on: 7 Jul 2003, 04:08 pm »
What do you experts recommend for this situation?  I've got a pair of older (ferrite) RM2's as mains, a 626SE (shielded) as a center, 2 larger subs and 2 dipole surrounds (which I cannot place properly in new home).  I was considering buying an LRC for my center channel and moving my 626SE to the rear wall as a surround and purchasing another to go with it.  Questions: (1)Should I order another shielded 626SE so that they're both the same or should I buy unshielded and replace the other (shielded) drivers (will it make that much difference?)   (2)Will the neo drivers in the LRC clash with the rest of the system or blend sufficiently?  (3)Is it really worth upgrading mids and tweets in RM2's to neo (much difference for $ ?)  (4) Dynamic drivers in 626SE should blend fine with rest of system for HT use but what about for multichannel music?  (626 Ribbon Speaker is not really an option because of rear ported design plus extra cost), plus I'm already not able to use my Dipoles, I'd like to be able to at least use my 626SE.  Any suggestions as to what would yield the best bang-for-the buck would be appreciated.

John Casler

« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2003, 01:09 am »
Hi Mellow,

You have a difficult problem.  I would consider the following:

Center = LRC or 626R
Mains = Your current RM2s
Surrounds = RM1s
Subs =  2 LARGERs

The RM1s are "front ported"

I have not compared the iron ferrite with the neo panels so I can't tell you about overall timbre and tonal differences.

Sell the 626SE and the Dipoles to a friend.  The 626SE can be used as a Center and the Dipoles can be either surrounds or foward firing as Mains. (ala Def Tech)