RM40/Bryston 9B SST THX "Headroom" Question

guest1121

« on: 27 Jun 2003, 07:43 pm »
[Note: I posted this same message at HD but wanted to post here to cover both VMPS forums]

I'm considering pairing Bryston amps with VMPS RM40s, an LRC Center, and side and rear surrounds (undecided on what kind, assume for now they're DefTech speakers for surrounds).

One idea I had was to use a 3B SST or 4B SST to power the RM40s, and a 9B SST THX (5-channel) to power the LRC Center and four surrounds. But, the 9B SST THX is only rated for 200 wpc into 4 ohms. Assuming a room approx. 15'W x 22'L x 7.5'H, will this amp be powerful enough to drive the LRC Center and surrounds without fear of clipping if I want to "crank it up" for movies or multi-channel music?

WRT to the 3B SST vs. 4B SST, is it worth moving up to the 4B SST? Will I realize any sonic benefits or just increased headroom?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

AVB

« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2003, 12:13 am »
200 wpc for the center and surrounds will be fine, I'm doing the same thig only with Cinepro amps.  Your room is a third smaller than mine so I can't imagine it not getting loud enough.

As far as moving from the 3B SST to a 4B SST, your ears and wallet should make that decision but I personally think all you'll get is more headroom..

jethro

Bryston 3BSST v 4BSST
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2003, 12:57 am »
I haven't directly compared the 3B-SST and the 4B-SST, but I have compared the 3B-ST and the 4B-ST with floorstanders and bookshelf speakers, several times. I found a large enough difference to make me start to switch over from the 3B-ST line to 4B-ST's.  I found the 3B-ST to have a bit more emphasis on the high frequencies and the 4B-ST seemed to be more neutral across the frequency spectrum. The comparison was made while listening to 2-channel music. I don't think you would be wasting your time by auditioning the 4B-SST.  When I get around to it, I plan to bi-amp my speakers, 3B-ST for the HF, and 4B-ST for the LF. My Bryston amp are all PRO models so I can tweek the gains.

guest1121

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2003, 02:50 am »
Thanks guys.  Glad to hear that the 9B SST THX won't have a problem driving the LRC Center (it is pretty efficient at about 90 Db) and surrounds.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but am leaning towards the 4B SST for the RM40s.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2003, 03:18 am »
I think a bit more watts on the RM40's isn't just headroom, it adds control.  That being said I ran mine on 50wpc triode tube amp for a while in a smaller room but my Spectron 600wpc amp runs then far more authoritatively and much more sweetly too.   I think 200wpc on the LCR has got to be enough!

flintstone

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2003, 02:11 pm »
Another thought, your room is not very large so 4 rear speakers are not that important IMHO, You could use the five channel amp for the fronts in a bi-amp on the RM-40's and the left over channel for center speaker. Use the two channel amp of your choice for the rears.

wshuff

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2003, 03:13 pm »
He'll be using a Lexicon MC-12, so I imagine that 4 rear speakers (and Logic 7) will be a must.

Kishore

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2003, 06:09 pm »
Scott,

You should not have a problem with 'headroom' using your amp (be it 4B or 9B) on your RM40s. I used to be in a similar room and I had complaints my apt neighbhor about too much bass :o (thin walls in apts SUCK!)

If you are using Lexicon pre-pro, I highly recommend using 7.1 set-up to 'swim' in music/HT in Logic7 :). The pains you take to go for smaller surround speakers and arranging them in the room will be worth it!

Cheers,
Kishore

guest1121

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2003, 12:31 am »
He'll be using a Lexicon MC-12, so I imagine that 4 rear speakers (and Logic 7) will be a must.

Yep, this is true.  Thanks for the assist, Stacy.  Surround speakers are definitely figured into my plans, as is Logic7.  :)

I hope my original post was not confusing or misleading to anyone.  I have every intention to "go 7.1" when I put all of this stuff in the HT.  I'm in the planning stages, but I anticipate using RM40s up front, with an LRC Center channel.  I do plan to use four surround speakers (sides and rears).  My thinking is:

Use 3B or 4B for RM40s
Use 9B for LRC Center and four surround speakers.

My only concern was if the 9B had enough "juice" (headroom) for the LRC Center.  It sure sounds like I won't have any problems so I'm thinking my plans will work.

While I'm not sure what I'll use for surrounds, I may just stick with my current DefTech speakers for surround duty until I figure it out.  I have a pair of BP10B's which should work as either side or rear speakers, and a pair of BP2Xs for the other pair of surrounds.

Can't wait to immerse myself in 7.1 channels of bliss.  :)

Sedona Sky Sound

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2003, 03:33 am »
Hello Scott,
You will probably be much happier going with the 4B-SST for the RM40s. The 3B may be a little under powered to get the most out of the RM40s (mainly a bass control issue).  

For the center and four surrounds, the 9B-SST should be just fine. I have powered my LRC with a 100W Marsh amp and it did just fine. The only times I could think that you would not want to use the 9B is if you had two surround plus two VMPS subs (the VMPS subs would suck the amp dry on just about any scene of Lord of the Rings) or if all four surrounds were super hard to drive (ie, 85dB with a 3 ohm nominal load).

Hope that helps.

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

guest1121

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2003, 08:22 pm »
Thanks Julian.

I think I am going to go with the 4B SST to power the fronts.

It sounds like the 9B SST has plenty of power for the LRC Center and four surround speakers.

I'll purchase separate amplification for the subs (I definitely want those critical LoTR scenes to provide full impact!) and will probably look for something that delivers at least 500 watts to each passive sub I use.

Thanks!