215 sub question

rblnr

215 sub question
« on: 29 Nov 2005, 02:40 pm »
The top and side panels of my new 215 sub (w/megawoofer and soundcoat) vibrate when in use.  I don't think the sub volume is turned up too high.  I'm new to subs -- is it unreasonable to expect a totally inert cabinet?

CornellAlum

215 sub question
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2005, 04:01 pm »
Not unreasonable, but fairly hard to obtain as well.  You could open her up and add lots of bracing as well as Blackhole 5, it solved the problem for me.

jgubman

215 sub question
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2005, 04:52 pm »
I've owned subs from Infinity, HSU Research, SVS and VMPS. None of the cabinets have ever been inert.

CornellAlum

215 sub question
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2005, 05:04 pm »
I don't think a cabinet will ever be completely inert.  It's a matter of whether it vibrates to the point of creating a resonance mode that matters.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
weight
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2005, 05:17 pm »
I recommend heavy weights on top of the cabinet.  100 lbs or more work well.  Not only does this reduce vibration, you get cleaner sound!

rblnr

215 sub question
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2005, 07:38 pm »
I've owned subs from Infinity, HSU Research, SVS and VMPS. None of the cabinets have ever been inert

Wondered if others were inert, thanks for the info.

How much of an operation was it to dissemble and add Blackhole?  How would you rate the improvement?

Have a rubber yoga mat and some dumbells nearby, I'll try some weight on top.

CornellAlum

215 sub question
« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2005, 07:43 pm »
It's not much of a chore.  Realisticall;y, it took an hour tops to do it right.  Improvement I would put in the 50 percent land, and I am not kidding.

John Casler

Re: weight
« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2005, 09:04 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
I recommend heavy weights on top of the cabinet.  100 lbs or more work well.  Not only does this reduce vibration, you get cleaner sound!

I've seen an AMPzilla or 2 on the 215 before, put to good use

I use rubber coated Olympic Barbell Plates

skrivis

« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2005, 09:23 pm »
Quote from: John Casler

I've seen an AMPzilla or 2 on the 215 before, put to good use

I use rubber coated Olympic Barbell Plates

I suspect some people won't get into the idea of putting electronics on top of a source of vibration....

I'd go for the barbell plates, or else you can cover those round (or other shape) paver stones they use for walkways in the yard with vinyl or something else that's soft. I once used some old vinyl tablecloths (with the cloth backing).

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 29 Nov 2005, 09:41 pm »
Quote from: skrivis
I suspect some people won't get into the idea of putting electronics on top of a source of vibration....

I'd go for the barbell plates, or else you can cover those round (or other shape) paver stones they use for walkways in the yard with vinyl or something else that's soft. I once used some old vinyl tablecloths (with the cloth backing).

Hi Skirvis,

I was kidding about the AMPzillas :mrgreen:

The AMPzillas in the picture were not powered or used for anything except their "mass" to keep the 215 from jumping around on the carpeted floor of the CES room.

vmpsbk

« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2005, 11:38 pm »

I couldn't agree more, I put 100lbs on both my larger subs and the difference was quite amazing!

skrivis

« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2005, 12:32 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Quote from: skrivis

Hi Skirvis,

I was kidding about the AMPzillas :mrgreen:

The AMPzillas in the picture were not powered or used for anything except their "mass" to keep the 215 from jumping around on the carpeted floor of the CES room.

Well, I'm not wholly convinced that SS electronics are that sensitive to vibration, so it probably wouldn't have hurt to put the amps there and use them.

I just figured that there'd be 1000 people jumping all over you and saying that you needed to isolate the amps with quantum bricks or something.  :lol:

CornellAlum

215 sub question
« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2005, 02:16 am »
Along these lines, I have my TV on top of my larger at the moment.

D~

Woodsea

215 sub question
« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2005, 07:25 am »
I have my 626 on my original sub.  I am cheap, makes for a decent stand