how is trinaural vs stereo comparison done?

doug s.

• makin' music
« on: 20 Feb 2003, 04:34 pm »
hi all,

mebbe i'm mistaken, but it seems to me that yust switching back-n-forth between stereo & trinaural isn't a fair comparison - to either one set-up or the other. wouldn't the stereo speakers have to be moved, also? i can't imagine that the optimal location for the stereo pair would be the same w/o the center channel, as with it...

doug s.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Trinaural
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2003, 09:22 pm »
Brian told me the L-R channels are unaltered, in other words pass-through.  This indicates a simple on-off switch would work for the center, but it is not so equipped as of now.  Possibly the complete preamp with Trinaural will have same.  The designer states the center channel is the most critical.  This is consistent with my experience: at CES (the wife concurs) about 50% of the sound came from the center.  This would suggest the possibility that one could spend more on the center channel & less on the L-R.  Maybe an RMX or RM40 center with RM2 or lesser for the L-R.  But then non-Trinaural would suffer...Brian's CES setup contradicted this pattern, because he had the L-R speakers biamped with thoroughly burned in amps while the center had only one brand new amp.  The A2K amps change hugely after burn in.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2003, 09:47 pm »
thanks jim, but this still does not answer my question regarding the physical location of the speakers.  i would imagine that the best physical location of the l-r speakers for stereo would *not* be the same as for trinaural listening...

doug s.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2003, 12:04 am »
I have no idea.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2003, 07:42 am »
Hi Doug,

I'm sure you have seen the diagram Jim B. has posted on his site on speaker set up.  If not it can be seen here :

http://www.ampzilla2000.com/layout.jpg

Bongiorno's philosophy has always been that the perfect sound would actually be inside a sphere that radiated sound.

Since that is not possible, the first steps toward that are to arrange the speakers in a 360 degree circle to offer a surrounding sonic bubble.

That said, the question you have may be answered if you look at the picture.  Now it is doubtful that most will use this "exact" set up with the front speaker up against the wall (unless well dampened).  

So in essence, the front array will be arranged very similar to how I have mine now, in a semi-circle.

So much depends on your room and current listening set up.

I listen with rather wide spacing 9-10 feet and 8-9 feet from the speakers.  I also have set up on the long wall so there are no side walls.  So I could easily use a TNP (TriNaural Processor) with my current set up.

If you listen on the short wall and "farfield" then you will not have the same set up.

The key set up calculation would be to measure the largest Circle you could create in your listening room and that is your limitation.

Inside that circle you draw the largest square.  The corners of the square are where you put your front and back "side speakers" and the very front and back of the circle is where you place your front and rear "center speakers".

I doubt if that answers your question either but the diagram might give you a better idea.

Aside from the fact that I listen "on axis", and have no side walls, the trinaural diagram is rather close to my set up for stereo. (and HT)

Regards,

John Casler

VMPS LA CA USA
SUMMIT Audio Video
800-320-6884
bioforce.inc@gte.net
http://my.register.com/summitaudiovideo.com/index.html

dubravko

Left & Right ch. with Trinaural
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2003, 11:02 pm »
Just a small correction, Trinaural does alter left and right channels.

"... which alters the L and R signals and derives the center algebraically in the analog domain".