RM40 with Sub

Xi-Trum

RM40 with Sub
« on: 19 Feb 2003, 04:23 pm »
Anyone here using a sub to compliment the RM40?  I have a fairly large room that my RM40 needs some help in the bass region.  I'm looking at getting a sub (either the New Original or the Larger).  If you use a sub, how do you use it?  Do you still run the RM40 full range or let the Sub do all low bass?  Pros and Cons?  Thanks.

TheChairGuy

RM40 with Sub
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2003, 10:01 pm »
Holy crow, Xi-Trum, you must live a gymnasium!  Or, open air amphitheatre!

You bass scoundrel, you.  :mrgreen:

John Casler

RM40 with Sub
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2003, 01:21 am »
Yes, I do occasionly use the LARGER sub with the RM40s.

I recently ran some test tones and my RM40s begin to slope around 25-28 hz in their present position.

They are 5 feet out from the front wall putting the fronts almost 7 feet into the room.  This plays havoc with low bass at the listening area.  

I have the Music system set up "analog" and the HT system set up digital.

The HT system has rather good bass management which allows me to be listening to the Music system and "blend" in the BASS ONLY signal of the subs (yes I said subs 1 LARGER and one SuperNova MK IV 15").

It also allows me to set the cross over at 40 which really rolls in just about perfectly.

The remote control adjustment of the subs makes it very adjustable and allos me to acheive near perfect integration and I really don't hear any big difference in "digital" bass.

If you haven't heard Madona's VOGUE on this system (in Q-sound) you are really missing something.

My room is about 30x20x9.

Oh and the subs are on the left and right room walls run "out of phase" for push-pull from 40 down.

The LF at the "sweet seat" is near perfect.  Powerful, Dry and clean.  No Boom, Bloat, or Hang.

I am not a BASS HEAD, but that last octave or so, from 25 to down to 15 sure adds to the body of the sound.

Regards,

John Casler

VMPS LA CA USA
SUMMIT Audio Video
bioforce.inc@gte.net
http://my.register.com/summitaudiovideo.com/index.html

Anthony C

How about with RM2's ?
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2003, 12:29 am »
I have RM2's and have the same basic questions. I'm planning on integrating both HT/2ch and using the RM2's as mains in both. I definately prefer having a sub for LFE (HT) and figure I should probably get a sub which will also help fill in low end on 2ch also. How do/would you setup the sub with the RM2's? Run all full range? crossover low (30Hz)? etc

John Casler

RM40 with Sub
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2003, 03:39 am »
Well let me see if I can explain this set up in a way that is understandable. :?

First I have an analog 2 channel music system.

TT/CD "analog" outputs  > PreAmp > Power AMP> TRT RM40s

I also have a HT system

CD/DVD/Sat TV "digital" outputs into > HT Receiver > Power AMP > TRT RM40s (Subs are run from the LFE output of the Receiver)

To add the SUB into CDs is simple.  I set the music system to CD analog, the HT system to CD digital and I use the Bass management of the receiver to set the sub to come in at 40 Hz down. (your Bass management may be more flexible or less depending on your Receiver or Pre/Pro)

I set the volume on the preamp and blend the sub into the mix with the receiver remote, for the exact amount of BASS augmentation.

It seems to work like a champ in my set up for CDs.  I haven't set up the system for the TT yet which will take a cable run from the second set of analog preamp outputs to an unused pair of Receiver inputs, to be able to do the same thing.

I hope that is simple enough to follow.  :|

Regards,

John Casler

VMPS LA CA USA
SUMMIT Audio Video
800-320-6884
bioforce.inc@gte.net
http://my.register.com/summitaudiovideo.com/index.html

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
An idea
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2003, 08:37 pm »
This applies to VMPS owners adding a subwoofer.  I have not tried it yet myself.  If someone does, please report back to the forum.

There are reasons to believe this will work better than running the main speakers (PR equipped) full range.  If you use a high pass XO on them of an kind, the ribbon performance is impeded.  Also a sealed system has better transient response than reflex (a PR is a reflex system).  

So I propose the owner turn the main speaker on its side.  Then remove the base & the PR.  Seal around the perimeter of the PR hole with gasket tape.  Then invert the base upside down & screw the bottom flat piece to the bottom of the speaker.  The slot could also be swiveled around to the back, for cosmetics & bass coupling to the floor of the front woofers.  

The resulting sealed bass system should have much better transients though of course it will cut off much higher.  But the SW will take over the low frequency duty anyway.

Please report back if you try it.

Jim Romeyn, VMPS sales/service since 1985, 707 765 1992, Petaluma CA