Salk Instagram Account

lewdogg

Salk Instagram Account
« on: 30 Apr 2019, 05:39 pm »
Jim (and other users) - your speakers are gorgeous and would make for perfect eye-candy on your IG account. Would love to see more posts! I looked up the hashtag #salksound and there's only 6 results. I guess everyone is too busy listening to these fantastic speakers rather than posting on IG.  :wink:

Post more so we can all drool over your Salks! :D

jsalk

Re: Salk Instagram Account
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2019, 07:06 pm »
Jim (and other users) - your speakers are gorgeous and would make for perfect eye-candy on your IG account. Would love to see more posts! I looked up the hashtag #salksound and there's only 6 results. I guess everyone is too busy listening to these fantastic speakers rather than posting on IG.  :wink:

Post more so we can all drool over your Salks! :D

I was thinking about this last week.  I created an account, but for some reason, Instagram requires a phone to post pictures (although I guess there are work-arounds).  I have no pictures on my phone but a ton of them on my computer.  The other issue is that Instagram seems to like photos in a certain format - mostly horizontal - and all of our pictures are vertical.  They are also not a standard size since we crop them from a larger view.

So I just have to take some time to sort these two issues out and then can post a pic a day for quite a while.

- Jim

jriggy

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2019, 07:35 pm »
Get a cheap little iPad / tablet to do it all on.

lewdogg

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2019, 08:21 pm »
I was thinking about this last week.  I created an account, but for some reason, Instagram requires a phone to post pictures (although I guess there are work-arounds).  I have no pictures on my phone but a ton of them on my computer.  The other issue is that Instagram seems to like photos in a certain format - mostly horizontal - and all of our pictures are vertical.  They are also not a standard size since we crop them from a larger view.

So I just have to take some time to sort these two issues out and then can post a pic a day for quite a while.

- Jim

I hate that! I prefer to take photos and work on a PC rather than a little phone and trying to post hi-res photos on IG is tricky, because as you mentioned the app likes certain formats. If you need someone to help I (and I'm sure plenty of other Salk owners) could try to help.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2019, 09:08 pm »
when i signed up - a phone was required for the instagram sign up.  but once signed up, photos can be uploaded to instagram from computer. 

good luck!

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2019, 10:49 pm »
There are formatting APP's for the phone to make the photos show up/crop how you want, videos, too.

Yes, it is a major god damn pain in the ass that they make you do it from the phone.... But I only do it for my dog. I think it's a good idea for Salk to do it for... well everything Salk.

Email yourself the photos and download them to phone.

My suggestion is make it someone's job that has free time, like a receptionist.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2019, 10:56 pm »

My suggestion is make it someone's job that has free time, like a receptionist.

Everytime I've called Jim is the receptionist!  :lol: Such is the prestige and glamour of having a small business.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2019, 01:10 am »
if you really want to figure out how to do it, google "how to post on instagram from computer."

its not that hard.

good luck!

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2019, 03:39 pm »
I was able to post a pic from my computer today (by tricking Instagram into thinking I was using an iPhone).  But the vertical nature of our photos result in clipping on the top and bottom of the photo.  I didn't come across anything that would allow me to edit the photo any farther than I did.  So it looks like most of the photos I would post would be cropped by Instagram.

If you know of a way to get around this limitation, let me know.

Thanks,

- Jim

lewdogg

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2019, 04:25 pm »
Love it! This seems to work well, I just tried it with a landscape photo. Unfortunately, the file size needs to be under 10MB.

https://sproutsocial.com/landscape

EDIT: Forget it. Doesn't work like I thought.

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2019, 08:19 pm »
I tried posting a few more pictures and the process seems to be working fairly well.  We also added an Instagram link to the bottom of our web pages.

- Jim

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2019, 01:01 am »
hi:  whats the instragram account name?  i just searched on salk and it did not come up.

thanks

lewdogg

« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2019, 01:37 am »
Awesome! Now you need to start adding hashtags. At least #salksound, anyway.  :wink:

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2019, 02:49 pm »
hi:  whats the instragram account name?  i just searched on salk and it did not come up.

thanks

It is salksound.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2019, 02:51 pm »
Awesome! Now you need to start adding hashtags. At least #salksound, anyway.  :wink:

Any suggestions?  Would #salk #speakers, etc. work?  Just add them to the text? (I obviously have little experience with Instagram.)

- Jim

lewdogg

« Reply #15 on: 2 May 2019, 02:57 pm »
Any suggestions?  Would #salk #speakers, etc. work?  Just add them to the text? (I obviously have little experience with Instagram.)

- Jim

I'm no social media expert, although my wife is. However, I would browse other speaker companies' accounts and see what they use. If you're not interested in any marketing and just want to display your work, I'd use #salksound and if you want, the others you listed. In my opinion, #salksound is the most important. Other owners can use it and then their posts will be displayed when users search for that hashtag. Totally up to you. I'm kinda crazy when I get into stuff and now that I'm set on buying Salk speakers, I love to see photos of your work. It's just incredible!

RonN5

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2019, 04:08 pm »
It seems to me that there is an issue.  If you go to the Salk web page, scroll to the bottom and click on the Instagram link you get the salksound Instagram page. 

On the other hand...in my case, if you go to google and type in either #salksound, or Instagram salk sound or salk sound Instagram...you do no get the page.....which makes the Instagram account far less value as a way of promoting the product.  I'm not sure why this is happening....

lewdogg

« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2019, 04:44 pm »
It seems to me that there is an issue.  If you go to the Salk web page, scroll to the bottom and click on the Instagram link you get the salksound Instagram page. 

On the other hand...in my case, if you go to google and type in either #salksound, or Instagram salk sound or salk sound Instagram...you do no get the page.....which makes the Instagram account far less value as a way of promoting the product.  I'm not sure why this is happening....

When I say search, I mean within the IG app or website. I'm not sure Google is the best place to search specifically for IG content.

RonN5

« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2019, 05:16 pm »
Good point...you are correct.  It works fine this way.  Now all Jim needs to do is hire some big time social media "influencers" who start dropping his hashtag and photos all over the place with a few "wow, these speakers are fantastic" comments and before you know it, lead times will be 2-3 years...hmmmm...maybe not such a great idea after all.