How to dampen a small transformer?

rockadanny

How to dampen a small transformer?
« on: 8 May 2023, 01:55 am »
Small transformer is bolted to sheet metal bottom. What should I between the trannie and the sheet metal to dampen trannie vibrations?

RDavidson

Re: How to dampen a small transformer?
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2023, 02:17 am »
I think something as simple as a felt (or wool) pad can be used to damp a transformer to good effect. Don’t “dampen” it, though. That would be very bad. :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2023, 03:03 am »
I would use small rubber blocks or feet between the Trafo and the metal board, not hard rubber or too soft rubber like Sorbothane, but mid density rubber.

Other flavors:
Soft wood
10mm Felt

if the Trafo runs too Hot you cannot use felt or rubber because of the danger of heating.
« Last Edit: 8 May 2023, 04:48 am by FullRangeMan »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2023, 12:32 pm »
I used rubber washers, after 1-1/2 years of use no issues.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2023, 02:16 am »
Hey!

When I replaced the transformer in my pre, I tried faucet rubber washers and 1/4" cork cut to fit from cork sheet. I listened to each one for a while and at the end I preferred the cork board. Not sure why but cork sounds better to me and seem quieter. Care must taken not to tighten the nuts and bolts too much though.

By the way, I used to use 1/4" sheet on top of my old Rega Planar 2's glass platter instead of the supplied felt mat, liked the cork better.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2023, 03:36 pm »
  I like a bed of silicone caulking . Angela/Gilbert Yueng style.

charles