OB H/W Frame Wiring Info / Diagrams

Captainhemo

Re: OB H/W Frame Wiring Info / Diagrams
« Reply #20 on: 6 Apr 2020, 06:30 pm »
there are other   stickies that were started by    members.....

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 8 Apr 2020, 01:15 pm »
there are other   stickies that were started by    members.....

Okay, I figured it out.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 8 Apr 2020, 01:50 pm »
Thanks, that’s going to be a big help to a lot of folks

Captainhemo

« Reply #23 on: 8 Apr 2020, 03:50 pm »
Okay, I figured it out.

Thanks bud

jay

Metfit77@gmail.com

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jun 2020, 09:38 pm »
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I am hooking up a dual ob sub, but as opposed to the drawing, my top woofer is backward facing and the bottom is front facing. The driver coil section is fairly straightforward, but I'm confused as to how to wire the servo section.
Do I go servo amp (red) to red (bottom front facing), black (bottom) to red (top rear facing woofer), black to amp (black) ?
Or
Red (from amp) to Red (bottom), Black (bottom) to Black (top) , Red (top) to black from amp ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2020, 02:02 pm by Metfit77@gmail.com »

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jun 2020, 02:00 pm »
Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I am hooking up a dual ob sub, but as opposed to the drawing, my top woofer is backward facing and the bottom is front facing. The driver coil section is fairly straightforward, but I'm confused as to how to wire the servo section.
Do I go servo amp (red) to red, black to red (top rear facing woofer), black to amp (black) ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

It's not that bad. If you flip a woofer then flip the polarity on both coils.

Metfit77@gmail.com

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jun 2020, 02:03 pm »
Thanks

Captainhemo

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jun 2020, 05:18 pm »
First example on  first post of this   thread.   There is a  drawing of the terminals/wiring there as well.

"DUALS WITH  OPPOSED WOOFER (one forward, one  backward)

Driver Coils
Big red lead from  A370 to lower (backward) woofer - driver coil, then from there to upper (forward) woofer + driver coil.
Big black lead from amp to  lower (backward) woofer + driver coil, then from there to  upper (forward) woofer - driver coil.
Driver coil wiring done.

Servo Coils
Small red wire from amp to  lower  (backward) woofer - servo coil.
Run a wire from the lower (backward) woofer + servo coil  to the  upper (forward) woofer + servo coil
Finally, run the  small black wire from the amp to the upper (forward)  woofer - servo coil.
Servo coils  done.

"

jay

bonsiguy

« Reply #28 on: 4 Jul 2020, 12:07 am »
hi all   getting my stuff together to put a set of the duel subs together . wondering what is the best wire to use for these subs ? and i assume the run from the plate amp should be as short as possible . and what gauge is the best for them also. thanks all hope to post some pics when i get started.    mark 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 4 Jul 2020, 04:27 am »
hi all   getting my stuff together to put a set of the duel subs together . wondering what is the best wire to use for these subs ? and i assume the run from the plate amp should be as short as possible . and what gauge is the best for them also. thanks all hope to post some pics when i get started.    mark

The wires from the amps are already connected to the amps. Ideally you want to connect these to the speaker. When You order the kit(s) you can get Danny's 16ga hookup wire and 4 pole Neutrik connectors. The female connectors goe on the speakers and the male connectors go on the amp wires.

Captainhemo

« Reply #30 on: 10 Aug 2020, 05:30 pm »
We never do it that way but it really doesn't matter.
Typically,  we  put the femaile connector  in the  hole that  most  customers  have us pre-drill in the  one end of the amp box(s).   When   we wire them,  we  usually  cut the  built in wire of the amp to  just reach the  female connector  ( actually  a bit longer  to allow  it to poke out of the hole  and wire up the  conector).  Then, we   leave a small run of the  chosen wire  out the rear of the sub ( it  tucks   away nice in the  bottom joingt of the no rez.  Then  just  add the male connector to the end of the pigtail.   

We too typically  use  Dannys   wire.... I think Tyson has had  good  results  using   a heavier  guage  siler  wire,  IIRC he even  replaced the  wiring   from the amp.....  still have  yet  to do this one.

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 10 Aug 2020, 08:07 pm »
I did use silver wire all the way back to the amp board.  But very high quality copper would work too.  The subs actually play up close to the midrange in my speakers so a generic “subwoofer cable” is not good enough IME.  Use as good a wire on the sub as you use on the main speakers.  Same with the subwoofer interconnects.  High quality, don’t skimp.

Early B.

« Reply #32 on: 10 Aug 2020, 10:16 pm »
...a generic “subwoofer cable” is not good enough IME.  Use as good a wire on the sub as you use on the main speakers.  Same with the subwoofer interconnects.  High quality, don’t skimp.

What do you recommend for subwoofer interconnects? Did you make your own?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #33 on: 10 Aug 2020, 10:56 pm »
I do make my own.  The KLE silver RCA connectors with the VH Audio OCC in foamed Teflon wire will get you an excellent cable for not too much $$.

morganc

« Reply #34 on: 27 Oct 2020, 09:19 pm »
Easy Question for the Community but which I am flailing on, what size screws do you use to anchor in the woofers into the frame?  I have tried 3 different wood screws without success.  Am I missing something?  What is ideal size and length?  And is wood screw the answer or am I missing something?  A shopping list would be great for these build outs for the amateurs like myself!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 27 Oct 2020, 09:27 pm »
The wood screws usually come in the package with the SW12 style drivers.  Usually in a small plastic bag attached to the speaker.

None in the box?

morganc

« Reply #36 on: 27 Oct 2020, 10:04 pm »
No I do not have them as I got these Used. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #37 on: 7 Dec 2020, 07:41 pm »
Well, the ones  that  come with the  woofers  are a nice  allen headed   wood screw, approx  3/4"  long (thread length).   Although not the most  common,  they seem to be a  #7 in size... you  might get  away with a #8  but  it may be too large to pass through the woofer frame.  Nice thing about the ones that  come with the woofers are that  the allen head  fits inside the recess  of the woofer flange, a typical wood screw, ispecially in the #8 size may not...
Might want to give  Danny a call and see if he happens to have  any    lying  around...

jay

paolocaminiti

« Reply #38 on: 22 Mar 2021, 06:41 pm »
I'm planning to have the subs cabinets built by a local business here in uk. I'd like them to make boxes for the plate amps as well.

Does anyone knows the dimensions or perhaps has a drawing for those boxes? Is it fine to have them just as simple mdf boxes with some random holes for ventilation?

Thanks

Captainhemo

« Reply #39 on: 22 Mar 2021, 11:41 pm »
Amp cut out is  11 1/8  x 1/8  (A370PEQ/HX800).  The HX300's are smaller and I can't  recall of hand  what the   cutout zie is.

You  need about  5"  of  height   for clearence between the  top  and bottom  edge of    box frame
I liked the idea of some ventatlation although I am not  sure it is  required as I've seen    these amps in non vented enclosures...... if you  leave the bottom open  and add some "feet"   that  should  also do it.

jay

jay