Californian looking for a region 2 DVD Player

MikeCTM2

Californian looking for a region 2 DVD Player
« on: 28 Jul 2011, 10:00 pm »
Hi   i get ch. 726 through Dishnetwork  which is German TV.  i just ordered one of my Favorite Shows on DVD through Amazon.de

It just occurred to me, i don't think i'll be able to play the DVDs i receive from Amazon.de on my current DVD player.

Does anyone have or know how to get a Region 2/European   DVD player  for someone living in California?      I haven't been to the 'Circles' in years, but this was the first and only Forum for this i could think of...   before i begin my search.

i appreciate the insight

se-riously

Re: Californian looking for a region 2 DVD Player
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:01 am »
You can use a DVD ripper program to rip the files onto your computer, and watch it there.  Or you can buy a hackable DVD player to make it region free - like the Oppo 971H.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:17 am »

katzer

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2011, 07:21 am »
There are a bunch of multi region dvd players on amazon.

I bought the PIONEER DV-220V-K one but returned it after a short while.
The picture and sound quality were not amazing (the cheap Sony Sony DVP-SR500H was better). What made me return it was that the power supply was modified to handle both 110 and 220... that kind of hack is too close for a fire hazard in my book (who gives the warranty?).

I am sure the other models would be fine though.
Good luck,

gundam91

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2011, 06:27 am »
Which DVD player do you have? Many player only require pushing a few buttons on the remote to unlock the region lock and allow you to play DVDs from other regions.

Do an internet search on DVD region hack. No need to spend three times more money buying a region- free player.

I was able to unlock my players from Oppo and JVC but couldn't do it for the two Sony models.

wilsynet

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2011, 09:45 am »
The older Oppos from a few years ago could be made region free with a special key sequence, but the newer ones like the BDP-83 require an easy to install hardware mod kit.  For example:

http://www.imegstore.com/oppo-bdp83-region-free-modification-kit-latest-version-p-8.html

If you're just looking for a simple DVD player, Google for something like "region free hack" for your make model.  I like the old Oppo DVD players which you can probably find on Audiogon or EBay.  But if you aren't particular, then pick some candidate players you might want and, as has been suggested, Google is your best friend.

gundam91

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2011, 11:15 pm »
For Oppo-83, you can still use software hack which will allow you to watch DVDs from all regions, but not Bluray. I've watched DVDs from several regions without any issue. I don't have Blurays from other regions, so no need to buy the hardware kit yet. But thanks for the link.