fry's in Concord

Charles Calkins

fry's in Concord
« on: 11 Nov 2019, 03:33 am »
  Hi Guys:
      I'm very sure that Fry's in Concord is going under. I was there last week looking for a digital cable.
     No customers in the store. No employees in the store. two girls at checkout. Many,many,many bare
     shelf's in the store. I told this to one of my buds and he said Fry's is not paying their suppliers.
     Today I went to Joann's store. Drove by Fry's. Parking lot is EMPTY !!!!!
      I guess online shopping has taken over. Oh Well !!!!!!!!!!!!! That's life.

Cheers
                                                           Charlie

galyons

Re: fry's in Concord
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2019, 05:51 am »
Fry's = Empty J-hooks!! This has been going on for years and rapidly accelerating.  I mostly went there for electronic components, (diodes, caps, resistors, etc.), when I did not have time to wait for Digikey, Newark, Parts Connexion, Michael Percey, AND Al Lasher's was closed. 

Fry's has always been poorly managed, so the decline to closing is inevitable.  Last I heard was that they were taking new inventory only if offered on consignment.  (No vendor payment until product sold!) I am sure vendors are standing in a long line to participate in that model.  :o

Too bad they caused the local electronic parts store to go out of business.

Brettio

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2019, 08:13 am »
I can’t believe they're still in business.  Nearly 20 years ago I built a computer using parts bought at a then local Frys. Although I bought name brand parts the failure rate of the stuff that did work was very high (the RAM they sold was worthless) and their ‘customer service’ was beyond useless. Looking back my memory of that store was poorly stocked shelves and long waits to return products.  After that experience I wouldn’t step foot in a Frys.

To me it’s retailers like Frys that makes online shopping so appealing.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2019, 04:12 pm »
I can’t believe they're still in business.  Nearly 20 years ago I built a computer using parts bought at a then local Frys. Although I bought name brand parts the failure rate of the stuff that did work was very high (the RAM they sold was worthless) and their ‘customer service’ was beyond useless. Looking back my memory of that store was poorly stocked shelves and long waits to return products.  After that experience I wouldn’t step foot in a Frys.

To me it’s retailers like Frys that makes online shopping so appealing.
         Brettio:
                    I agree with you 1,000,000%  I too had bad experiences at Fry's

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

j-bomber

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2019, 04:48 pm »
Agreed with all, this is no surprise.  If the only function of a retail business is to move boxes from distributor to consumer, then that retailer is doomed to being overtaken by online retailers.  Is Best Buy next?

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2019, 09:37 pm »
No. I think Best Buy has a done a good job of providing services and aren't just a box mover like Fry's. Not to mention, I think most consumers still think of Best Buy as the primary local place to go for electronics and appliances. They now have even less competition.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2019, 07:27 pm »
Frys would rewrap returns and put them back on the shelf as new, regardless of what the cause of the return was.  It's just a matter of time when the announcement happens.  Hopefully the remaining employees will get paid for their time when it happens.