3 New Big Budget Chinese Sci-fi films starting with "The Wandering Earth"

WGH

I don't think I have ever seen a Chinese science fiction film but these three upcoming films have me interested:

"The Wandering Earth" is based on a story written by Hugo Award winning Chinese science fiction writer Liu Cixin.
"Shanghai Fortress" will be out this summer.
"Pathfinder" may or may not already be released, but it's on my list.

"The Wandering Earth" has reached blockbuster status in China and is now in limited US release.

4.5 Stars - Roger Ebert.com
"The Wandering Earth" looks better than most American special-effects spectaculars because it gives you breathing space to admire landscape shots of a dystopian Earth that suggest old fashioned matte-paintings on steroids."
"I'm still marveling at how good it is. I can't think of another recent computer-graphics-driven blockbuster that left me feeling this giddy because of its creators' can-do spirit and consummate attention to detail."

NY Times review:
"The film’s budget reportedly reached nearly $50 million, modest by Hollywood standards but still significant here in China. More than 7,000 people were involved in the production. Much of it was filmed in the new Oriental Movie Metropolis, an $8 billion studio in the coast city of Qingdao"

CNN review with trailer:
"Millions of moviegoers watched breathlessly over the Lunar New Year week as Beijing and Shanghai were destroyed for the first time in modern Chinese film history.
It's just one of the reasons China's new sci-fi movie "The Wandering Earth" is taking the nation by storm.
Based on works by novelist Liu Cixin, it tells the story of a group of Chinese astronauts working to save Earth from a dying and rapidly expanding sun. Opening on February 5, the film made about $405 million ($2.7 billion yuan) in just over its first week in China alone -- putting it on track to become the country's most successful film of all time."

For a point of reference, Infinity War made $338 million in the US during its first week. The Force Awakens: $390 million. Black Panther: $291 million.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2019, 12:44 am by WGH »

OzarkTom

China recently put a land rover on the dark side of the moon.

WGH

Feb. 21, 2019 - Netflix announced it has acquired the rights to stream "The Wandering Earth"

"The Wandering Earth" has already grossed more than $600 million globally since it was released in theaters Feb. 5th. A feast for the eyes, post-production and special effects work took two years, undergoing more than 3,000 conceptual designs, and featuring over 10,000 specifically-built props, while employing more than 2,000 special effects shots and a substantial amount of computer graphics shots.

The film will be available in the more than 190 countries but not in China, where Netflix isn't available. The movie will be translated into 28 languages.
No release date yet.