Intro post

snaimpally

Intro post
« on: 28 Nov 2023, 10:10 pm »
I first got started in audio because my dad had bought a stereo system (all Sony) and despite being a PhD in Mathematics, he was not particularly adept at hooking up the components. My first stereo included a Nikko amp (CA-310?) which eventually got upgraded to a Yamaha A-500. I started with a BSR turntable and then got my dad's Sony turntable as a hand-me-down. I had many cassette decks over the years but the last and finest one I had was an Akai 760D 3-head, 3 motor, dual capstan. My first CD player was Phillips/Magnavox that I picked up for a $100 (back in the late 80s) because it was a store demo and they had lost the remote. I later sold it and bought a Rotel RCD-855, which I still own. I started with Paradigm 7SE speakers, then Paradigm Monitors, and finally had KEF 103/104 for a long time before recently upgrading to the KEF R3 Meta.

Currently, my listening room has a Project Debut Carbon turntable, Cambridge Audo CXA81, Rotel RCD-855, and KEF R3 Meta speakers. In my office, I have a Yamaha CD-303, Buckeye Amp (Hypex MC502MP) class D amp, Elekit TU-8500 tube preamp, and Philharmonic Audio BMR monitors. I have yet to hook up my Radio Shack (made by Hitachi) linear tracking belt drive turntable in the office. The belt had disintegrated and I recently got a new one.

I love the sound of the Elekit with the Buckeye amp but the Elekit does not have a remote control and so was considering getting a Van Alstine Transcedence 10 RB, so I joined Audio Circle. I recently happened upon a great deal for a Heaven 11 Billie amp, which combines a tube pre with a Class D (ICEpower) amp, and just recently set that up. I may still get a Van Alstine preamp at some point (to try it out).

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Intro post
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2023, 12:38 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

snaimpally

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2023, 12:50 am »
Thanks. I can't believe it has taken me this long to discover this forum. Heck, I've been a member of HeadFi for over 20 years, DIYMA for 15 years, etc.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2023, 12:51 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2023, 02:49 am »
Welcome!