Done With Facebook

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Done With Facebook
« on: 29 Mar 2018, 01:53 pm »
Albeit with mixed feelings, I cut the cord today with Facebook both personally and with our Tortuga Audio page and have permanently deleted the account.

I've been a big fan of Facebook specifically and social media generally from the beginning but things have changed. Recent revelations regarding security and privacy, the creeping divisive nature of online interactions on Facebook, and the documented manipulation of users by dark entities has led me to the decision to part ways with Facebook.

I look forward to ongoing communications with the audio community through well managed sites like AudioCircle.com.

Cheers!
Morten
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2018, 03:14 pm by tortugaranger »

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Done With Facebook
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2018, 02:57 pm »
I applaud your courageous and principled stand, Morten. It seems abundantly clear at this point that Zuckerberg's loyalties are not with Facebook members but rather are guided by personal ambition.
Furthermore, I urge all AC members to investigate what has happened and to consider joining Morten in protest. I cannot withdraw my own membership because I never had one.
I would, however, love to sever any connection with Linked-In. Efforts to unsubscribe have always failed.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2018, 03:15 pm »
I applaud your courageous and principled stand, Morten. It seems abundantly clear at this point that Zuckerberg's loyalties are not with Facebook members but rather are guided by personal ambition.
Furthermore, I urge all AC members to investigate what has happened and to consider joining Morten in protest. I cannot withdraw my own membership because I never had one.
I would, however, love to sever any connection with Linked-In. Efforts to unsubscribe have always failed.

I Googled it for you. I signed onto Linkedin 15(?) years ago, but I haven't used it more than once or twice.

Go to the top right hand corner, put the mouse over the tiny picture of you, or the white box with the grey outline of you if you don't have a photo on LinkedIn.
Go down to privacy and settings and left click.
Re-enter your password if asked.Then click on the account tab on the left (see picture below).
More items...
How to close and delete your LinkedIn account - The Linked In Man
https://thelinkedinman.com/how-to-close-and-delete-your-linkedin-account/

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2018, 03:21 pm »
It's to late. The level of sophistication of the data mining already has us pegged. I think I will pull my business off and keep the personal site. I seldom use it but it is a way to see what some friends are doing.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2018, 03:33 pm »
I Googled it for you. I signed onto Linkedin 15(?) years ago, but I haven't used it more than once or twice.

Go to the top right hand corner, put the mouse over the tiny picture of you, or the white box with the grey outline of you if you don't have a photo on LinkedIn.
Go down to privacy and settings and left click.
Re-enter your password if asked.Then click on the account tab on the left (see picture below).
More items...
How to close and delete your LinkedIn account - The Linked In Man
https://thelinkedinman.com/how-to-close-and-delete-your-linkedin-account/
Thanks, Michael.
Here's the reply I received for my efforts:

We’ve closed your account.
Your LinkedIn account is now closed. Although you no longer have access to it, it’ll take a few weeks for your public profile to disappear from search engines.

kclark0395

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2018, 03:41 pm »
I'm on the fence at the moment. I've been a FB member for quite some time but actually only post something once a month or so. Otherwise it's a time waster and I cannot say it has improved my life in any way whatsoever. Years ago my son moved to Europe for college and it was a way to stay somewhat connected but he hardly posts any longer (I understand young folks have other favorites now). Heck, half the time I open the app the top posts are where someone is eating their next meal, and the few news outlets I follow have websites I can visit anyway. Yea, maybe it's time to pull the plug spend that little bit of more time living more life.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2018, 03:41 pm »
You're welcome!  :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2018, 03:50 pm »

If you are not paying for a product then YOU are very likely the product.  I find that important to remember. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2018, 04:19 pm »
I created a FB page and never used it... the time commitment to continuously respond and add content never made it seem attractive as I spend a lot more time than I'd like doing things other than building and designing these days as it is.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2018, 05:51 pm »
Dilly-Dilly !

These corporations are not our friends.  I would include MQA in this. Their desire to control ALL musical content under the guise of "better" is frightening. I encourage members to rebuff them also.

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2018, 06:20 pm »
I certainly can't argue with the above logic especially when looking at all the press lately.  I have both a FB and LI account and use them every week for different reasons.  I don't install any social networking app on my phone however- I keep that bare bones as possible..  I guess if "they" want to see what I'm doing, then go right ahead.  I'm pretty boring that way I guess. Also, if you are currently carrying a phone and own a PC, anything anyone (with the means of course) wants to know about you plus some is already out there.  I guess you can try and limit it, but unless you are off the grid, we (our actions, history, browsing etc) pretty much are visible anyway.  Just stinks that people would mine our personal data for their own monetary gain. Disappointing but not surprising. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2018, 06:22 pm »
Social media is the bane of the of the internet.

Why don't we all unplug and meet at JohnR's every Friday at 19:00?

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2018, 06:42 pm »

+1 !

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2018, 08:01 pm »

Great idea. I can look in on Nina Proudman while I'm in the area. How many guest rooms does John have exactly?

deadhead

« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2018, 08:58 pm »
I dumped Facebook in August and haven't looked back.  So much more time for activities!

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2018, 09:01 pm »
I didn't use my real name on it. They cut me off. No complaints from me, my information is worthless to them without confirmation of a real person behind it... They might even ACTUALLY delete that stuff. I asked a friend and they said, "you were just gone."

My life is better. You won't see me create an account so I can have a business one. Instagram? Linkedin? I can handle those, if I want to.

sts9fan

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2018, 09:08 pm »
Instagram is Facebook FYI.

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2018, 11:44 pm »
I really don't see how people get so riled up about it. Like ANYTHING - it just depends upon how much work you put into it. Do you go into relationships with the thought that everything that comes to you is easy?

It might not be your cup of tea but it just depends on YOUR effort. Very few things are given to you on a silver platter.

I know many amazing people around the world and I love FB. Sometimes it's a bit frustrating and not perfect - BUT WHAT IS??? I've chatted with friends before going to bed as they were getting up to go to work! So cool!  :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2018, 11:49 pm »
What is Facebook?  :o

sts9fan

« Reply #19 on: 29 Mar 2018, 11:53 pm »
In would also find interesting the age of ya all abandoning FB.  In moderation it’s fine. Just don’t expect privacy.