Omega's for large room

CJ Paul

Omega's for large room
« on: 18 Jan 2006, 02:27 am »
Hello, I will probably eventually call Louis but I would like to get some stuff narrowed down first before I make a call.  I have a pretty large room, 24x38x8 and I sit about 15 feet from the speakers.  I have an Arcam integrated that does about 100 watts into 8 ohms and 150 into 4 ohms.  I would like to get into a speaker that would allow me to get into tube amps at a later date but I want something that is going to sound good with a decent solid state amp like the Arcam right now because if I buy the speakers I will have to start saving again before amps would be feasible.  

So any way, I listen to almost everything from classic rock to hard rock to jazz, small scale blues, classical etc. and at decent volume... maybe on average of 70-80dB average with higher peaks of course and keep in mind how far away I'm sitting.  So what would you all recommend given those criteria?

Brad

Omega's for large room
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2006, 02:40 am »
For that size room and musical tastes, I think the best Omega would be either the Hemp 8 or one of the new 1.5 way floorstanders using the Hemp driver.

They need some room to work and enjoy being driven hard.  I think they'll sound BETTER with tubes, but will sound good now with your Arcam.

Louis will definitely help you pin down the exact fit though.

CJ Paul

Omega's for large room
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2006, 02:44 am »
What are the new 1.5 ways?  I dont see anything on Omega's website.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Omega's for large room
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2006, 11:03 am »
The A8s with subwoofer could be another real option.

CJ Paul

Omega's for large room
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2006, 12:23 pm »
Oh, I forgot about that.  I have an outboard crossover and an infinite baffle sub so whatever I get WILL be crossed over at either 50, 80 or 120hz to a sub.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Omega's for large room
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2006, 02:38 pm »
Quote from: JLM
The A8s with subwoofer could be another real option.

Thats what I'm doing and am very happy with it. I'm using a POS Behringer Xover at 90hz, 24db per octave and its the weakest link in the chain. I'm using 300 watt monoblock SS amps and your Arcam should be fine. You're going to love the detail you get if you end up getting the A8s. Any weaknesses in your source component WILL be revealed.

CJ Paul

Omega's for large room
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2006, 02:53 pm »
I pretty much expected some variety of opinion, so could you all please provide some detail on your recomendation.  For example, I would have thought that any of the speakers with the smaller drivers would not have enough output for say rock music in a large room yet there is a recomendation for the bipoles.  Details would be appreciated.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Omega's for large room
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2006, 03:06 pm »
Quote from: CJ Paul
I pretty much expected some variety of opinion, so could you all please provide some detail on your recomendation.  For example, I would have thought that any of the speakers with the smaller drivers would not have enough output for say rock music in a large room yet there is a recomendation for the bipoles.  Details would be appreciated.

Hi CJ Paul,

I recommend that you call Louis: (203) 847-2800

He knows his speakers the best and would be glad to answer all your questions and give you his recommendation.

Regards,

mcgsxr

Omega's for large room
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2006, 03:43 pm »
I am presently using the Visaton b200 drivers (same as in the A8's) in DIY open baffles in my 25x35x7 unfinished basement - other than the expected bass issues with OB, they drive that room perfectly - with the 100 or more wpc that you are talking about, it will bend your head back.  I have used them with 30wpc and love them that way too - all amps I have used, from 20-100wpc have been able to go louder than I want, with the b200 drivers.

Good luck, you have a wealth of excellent choices!

CJ Paul

Omega's for large room
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2006, 05:30 pm »
Well, I took all your advice and called Louis.  I talked to him hung up, and thought for about 20 minutes and called him back and ordered a pair of the Compact Hemp 8s in the Red Maple laminate.  It was his recomendation based on my strongest weighting being towards the presentation of rock music.  It was nice to get that recomendation from Louis since I heard the Hemp 8s at RMAF and REALLY loved them so it was a good confirmation that my tastes and his recomendation matched.  Of course that was in a what, 15x17 hotel room sitting probably nearfield.  I'm sure the sound will be a little different in my room, but the tone was awesome!  I did not tell Louis I had heard the Hemps until after he recomended them, not that I was testing him or anything, just the course of the conversation.

Thanks for all the replies and look for my impressions in 3-4 weeks after I get them and break them in, etc.

Louis O

Omega's for large room
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2006, 01:15 am »
Hi CJ Paul,

Many thanks and it was great speaking with you over the phone.  The Hemps I thought would be the best way to go and they love rock. The tone gets me especially with guitar.

Looks like they will be ready sooner than I thought.

Thanks again,
Louis

CJ Paul

Omega's for large room
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2006, 01:44 am »
The number I gave you when we talked is my cell phone.  If you want to either give me a call or post in this thread when they are ready to ship I would greatly appreciate it.  I am so excited!!!