Placement of your Salks

Bigload

Placement of your Salks
« on: 16 Feb 2010, 01:34 am »
Well, I am sitting here drooling over everybody's pictures and reports of sonic euphoria with their new Salks while I just wait, wait, wait.  I am only 1 1/2 weeks into my order.  This is killing me.   But the pics look great!!

Can't help but notice in the pics how most people have the speakers positioned well in front of their displays, especially the center channels on stands.  Wondering if the centers are on stands out in front because they don't fit in the racks, or is it because of some soundstage or imaging issues with getting the best performance?

I have been stressing about whether a ST center would fit in my rack.  Maybe I should not put it there even if does fit?? 

Thanks.

TJHUB

Re: Placement of your Salks
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2010, 01:52 am »
There is no doubt the wait is one of the most difficult things I've had to endure.  At least you know that your new Salk speakers will be worth every minute of it.  :D

My guess is that those who put there centers in front of their stands do so because it doesn't fit in or on their racks.  Unless you listen to multi-channel music, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I'd wait and use your own ears to determine what works for your needs. 

This is an older picture, but it shows my speaker placement:

vintagebob

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2010, 02:08 am »
I didn't want my center to be enclosed by my stand since I wanted to play multi-channel music.  The sound would have probably sounded like it was coming from inside a well.  It does surprising well with movie dialog even though it is out in front like that.

I like TJHUB's solution though!

silvermesa

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2010, 12:41 pm »
Last summer I had an av cabinet built with a space for a center channel in the enclosed cabinet. I spoke with Jim about this and he recommended a front ported center channel. Jim was concerned a rear ported center channel might sound boomy in a cabinet with an enclosed back.I have had my system for just a couple of weeks and am pleased with the results.

Good luck in your journey!

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2010, 07:00 pm »
I have my center placed very similar to TJHUB. I have however placed  hard foam pads under the center with increased thickness on the front. This sets the front baffle at about a 15 deg. angle. With the height of my speaker at 3 ft this angle directs the sound to about ear height when sitting at my listening position.

Harrison

OgOgilby

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2010, 08:33 pm »
I went from having my center in the cabinet angled to ear height like Vulcan00, to sitting in front of the cabinet (also angled to ear height). Jim and others have told me that the center will sound better if it isn't enclosed in a cabinet. I couldn't fit the center into the cabinet now anyway!

To be honest, I don't know if moving the center out of the stand made a big difference in the sound quality since I upgraded my electronics (and moved them to a new stand) when I moved the center. It sounds great now but I don't use the center for multi-channel music very often since I prefer 2 channel.

I agree with TJHUB that you shouldn't worry about it too much unless you listen to multi-channel music often. There is also WAF involved when the speaker is in front of the cabinet, but Jim's speakers look too nice to stick them in a cabinet!

« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2010, 08:32 pm by OgOgilby »

floresjc

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2010, 11:31 pm »
I don't have a center rack, and I just set my SongCenter on the floor. I shoved a book under there to angle it up towards our ears, it makes a big difference in the soundstage. Someday I'll get Jim or someone to make me a little floor stand that does the same thing, or I may get one that's off the ground a bit, like Og's.

floresjc

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2010, 11:33 pm »
Also, what speakers did you order? I couldn't see where you had announced it (or if you had), but I've been off the board a while.

Bigload

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2010, 03:42 am »
Also, what speakers did you order? I couldn't see where you had announced it (or if you had), but I've been off the board a while.

I ordered the standard SongTowers in dark curly cherry about 2 weeks ago.  I sent Jim pics of my piano and furniture and he said he could dye match the color just fine.  I also ordered the AVA DAC/Preamp combo and a 240 amp.  That will be my new 2 channel family room set up.  Once I get these things here and if they are as awesome as everybody says (and I believe they will be), I am all set to also pull the trigger on a full set for my HT room.  I am planning for that order to be for all black SongTower fronts, SongTower center and a set of SongBirds for surrounds.  But first I want to listen to the set I have on order before going bonkers ordering more.

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2010, 06:13 am »
TJ's room looks so clean.  Too bad we're going to clutter it up with room treatments soon.  Wait, that's not a bad thing at all.   :eyebrows: