Bugle and PS build

Jaxn

Bugle and PS build
« on: 14 Jul 2013, 07:27 pm »
I finished my basic construction of the Bugle and PS a couple of weeks ago. Listening to my system is a new and eye opening experience, to say the least.

Over the last several years I have been collecting and in some cases bringing back to life some equipment I used to have back in the 1970's. In addition to equipment, I have also sought out some old recordings from that era, specifically some direct to disk recordings on vinyl I used to own. The demands of these records has shown to me how great Jim's design is. It prompted me to build the power supply a week or so after I finished the Bugle. "Finished" is not exactly true, as I have yet to put either in a chassis. Still looking around for an idea or two. I have included a pic for your amusement. They currently reside atop my Citation 17.

My equipment would not be considered esoteric to many, but it serves me well and like the phono preamp in my Citation 17 pre, there is room for improvement. The way the little Bugle has opened up the sound is nothing short of amazing. I use an Ortofon M/C 3 Turbo for a cartridge in a Thorens TD-160 with a few mods done to it. I have a H/K ST-7 for backup vinyl playing with an Ortofon M15e Super, a Citation 19 power amp and a pair of GALE GS401c speakers. The improvements in soundstage, individual instrument details and the bass response is crystal clear to both my Wife and me. She is new to high fidelity and it has been a joy observing her introduction to the world of vinyl records.

I have hesitated to get into a higher quality, low output m/c cartridge until now. I plan to build the Piccolo later this year, along with a Bugle2. Perhaps next year I may try my hand and budget on a Cornet. This has been a fun exercise and I want to say how much I appreciate Jim's work in getting us into higher fidelity equipment at an affordable price. The printed circuit boards are a work of art, in my humble opinion.

Jack

Batty

Re: Bugle and PS build
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2014, 09:23 am »

Here's mine.