Why not to buy Sapphire XLs?

JMS

Re: Why not to buy Sapphire XLs?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2007, 07:16 pm »
Is anybody using these as the mains in a dedicated HT system?  I'm sure they're wonderful for 2-channel music, but I wonder how they are when pushed with some of the things you get in movie soundtracks (e.g. explosions, gunshots, etc. etc.)  FWIW, I already own Jaguar/LFM combo and several other ACI models, so you don't need to convinve me about he quality of the product.  I'm looking for some specific feedback surrounding HT use.

ajayrav

« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2007, 07:47 pm »
I use 'em for HT along with the Sapphire XLC and an Arcam receiver; and they work exceptionally well.  For gut-wrenching bass you will need a sub though!  It all depends on how much slam you need.  The XL/XLC combo can play very loudly without any strain.

tomagardner

« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2007, 01:36 am »
Yep, 3 across the front with their in-ceiling speakers for the back 2 and a subwoofer. You'll love'em. Tom

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #23 on: 20 Dec 2007, 04:02 am »
I just got back from one of my customer's rooms.  I let him borrow the Korato amp and took over Waynes PS and Statement mod SB3.

He runs 3 Sapphires across the front, 2 Emerald for the side surrounds and is waiting for a set of the ACI inwalls in a custom enclosure for the rear surrounds.  He has 2 of the Force subs.

Very nice sounding system.

Bryan

griller

« Reply #24 on: 20 Dec 2007, 02:00 pm »
griller,

My order is in also.

Merry Christmas!

DR

Merry Christmas DR!  We'll have to compare notes when we get our new jewels in place. Man, I am looking forward to to it !

griller

« Reply #25 on: 20 Dec 2007, 02:02 pm »
Oh yeh, as far as using for a dedicated HT, I bet they'll be terrific. I'm using 5 Em XLs and Force XL for HT and they do a superb job. 

DR

• The Man
« Reply #26 on: 21 Dec 2007, 03:32 pm »
Hey Mike, your did send the best pair of Sapphires to me rather than griller didn't you?

:lol:

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #27 on: 21 Dec 2007, 04:31 pm »
Hey Mike, your did send the best pair of Sapphires to me rather than griller didn't you?

:lol:

Dave:

They're all "the best" so you, Griller, and even some guy named Santa C. will be getting "the best "  :green:

DR

• The Man
« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2007, 01:05 am »
Griller,

I have a question for you. What do you use to secure your speakers to the stands? I have been using blu-tack for years and it works well. I just hate the thought of putting putty on the Sapphires though. Any thoughts?

Also, I will most likely use the Emeralds for 5.1 rears. Have you had success using wall mounts or do you have those on stands also?

Thanks a bunch.

DR   

Joe_K

« Reply #29 on: 24 Dec 2007, 12:58 pm »
Griller,
Did you buy the custom stands or ?
What I plan on doing, at least to start, is I have a good, heavy pair of stands with tops about 5 1/2 x 9. I cut some 5/4 inch pine butcher block 5 1/2 x 11 1/2, same size as the custom stands top, painted the wood black. I can set these on top of the points, or remove the points and screw to the stands.
Between the wood blocks and the Sapphires, I'll use that non-slip drawer liner stuff or the heavier stuff you place under throw rugs so they don't slip. I believe a fellow member uses the stuff under a sub?
Anyway, it's a starting point and it won't scratch or mar the finish on the bottom.
Once the Holidays slow down, I'll be able to focus more on this.
Let us know what you come up with.
Joe

Joe_K

« Reply #30 on: 24 Dec 2007, 01:00 pm »
Oops, previous message meant for DR too!
Joe

DR

• The Man
« Reply #31 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:02 pm »
Thanks Joe,

Some good ideas there. I am going to take a look at the non slip materials you describe - I would never have thought of it!

DR

DR

• The Man
« Reply #32 on: 27 Dec 2007, 12:22 am »
Joe,

I went to Lowe's and sure enough there was black anti skid shelving material. I intend to cut out a piece matching my target stand plate and put the Sapphires on it to see if it works.

Griller, you have been gone for a while. I just traced my shipment and it has arrived in Nashville. they will be here for sure tomorrow!

:drool:

griller

« Reply #33 on: 27 Dec 2007, 01:56 pm »
Griller,

I have a question for you. What do you use to secure your speakers to the stands? I have been using blu-tack for years and it works well. I just hate the thought of putting putty on the Sapphires though. Any thoughts?

Also, I will most likely use the Emeralds for 5.1 rears. Have you had success using wall mounts or do you have those on stands also?

Thanks a bunch.

DR   

I had the Em XLs on stands when using for 2 channel. Now that I've put together our 5.1 system the front three sit on the cabinet right under the TV. I've got them siting on little felt pads so nothing gets scratched but they can move. I might try the non-slip stuff, seems like a better idea.  The rears are wall mounted using the brackets that ACI sells and that works great.
Not sure yet what I'l do w/the Sapphires. I am getting the custom stands as well. Will probably do something like the non slip stuff at first. Leaning towards blu tac or similar for the long term. It might cloud the finish on the bottom of the speaker, but hey, it's the bottom and I'll never be looking at it.