Why not to buy Sapphire XLs?

griller

Why not to buy Sapphire XLs?
« on: 5 Dec 2007, 05:47 pm »
Okay, I am so close to pulling the trigger finally. With the Holiday pricing special and the boss being close to a yes. Any reason I wouldn't want to finally jump now? Any reason to wait?

Mike Dzurko

Re: Why not to buy Sapphire XLs?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2007, 11:35 pm »
The only reason I can think of is if you feel you must pay more for them :)

CSI

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2007, 12:15 am »
I can give you one good reason not to buy them. You will never again enjoy the agony of trying to decide what speaker to buy because you won't find a better, more satisfying speaker. I work from my home and mine are on all day long. Several evenings a week a take an extra hour or so to crank them up for a real audiophile session. I bought my first pair of really good speakers back in the sixties (Acoustic Research AR3a) and have traded every 2-3 years in all the decades since. The Sapphire XL's are far and away the best I've ever owned. Mike has no idea I'm posting this and he doesn't owe me a thing (although a Christmas card would be nice).

Bill
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2007, 12:38 am by CSI »

Eric

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2007, 01:26 am »
If you like them, I can think of no good reason not to buy them

Woodsea

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2007, 01:31 am »
Dude,
Pull the trigger all ready.  You are not going to get any naysayers here.
I did not look nor know of ACI when I purchased.  But, I have to tell ya, that every time they have a cause I 'donate' my money, to win what reads as a very well made speaker.
I have no buyers remorse with either case of purchase or donation.
Pull the trigger all ready!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2007, 01:33 am »
Don't forget the Force XL,,,,,, makes a good stocking stuffer!  :thumb:

Zero

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2007, 01:39 am »
Well, there is the whole Mike beating puppies thing...     :lol: :lol: aside from that, no reason why NOT to get a great pair of monitors like the Sapphire XL's.  :thumb:

Rasta

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2007, 02:57 am »
The only reason I can think of, is to save your money for that hair shirt you've always wanted.   :lol:

Really, as a previous customer, I can say, you will not be disappointed.

ajayrav

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2007, 05:21 am »
Short answer:  No reason to wait....Just do it!  With the 30 day trial you really don't have much to lose.  There is a reason why these speakers are universally acclaimed- simply put, they ARE wonderful.  I can't think of a single negative review I have read to date.  That speaks volumes.

Ajay

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2007, 06:41 am »
Any reason I wouldn't want to finally jump now? Any reason to wait?

Yes....Wait !!!!

But take the money you have now and buy me a pair for X'mas....then....you can get yours later..... :jester: (just kidding)

The Sapphire XLs are very good speakers....heard them a number of times....order them now....then enjoy the tunes.... 8)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2007, 10:29 am »
The 10 best reasons not to buy Sapphire XLs:

10. You have a very small power amp (that wouldn't drive them properly).

9. You're a bass hound (and don't want to use a powered subwoofer).

8. You've always wanted to DIY speakers (but trying to DIY to save money on small 2-ways is a tough way to save money and the quality of cabinetry is even harder to duplicate).

7. You don't want to spend the money (or that much money).

6. You'll have buyer remorse when you find something better for less next month (the cure to this is to never buy anything).

5. You're after some sort of esoteric sort of sound (single driver, dipole, horn loadings, ribbons, etc.).

4. You believe that great sound can come from cheap drivers/components (you might get good, but not great sound from cheap parts).

3. You want floorstanders (standmounts are damage prone around kids/pets, but the many will say that the best sound comes from mid/tweeters being away from walls and woofers being somewhere else).

2. You don't want the flexiblility or complexity of separate speakers/subs (can't talk wifey into spending thousands on end tables that match the speakers).

And the number 1 reason for not buying Sapphire XLs:

1. You feel compelled to make a charitable gift this x-mas rather than buy speakers.

griller

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2007, 08:36 pm »
Many thanks. I think I just needed a shot of extra confidence to sell this to the boss. She has been open to the idea lately but of course has other areas she would rather the funds go. I am right now perfecting my strategy. I want a pair NOW!

jrebman

« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2007, 04:05 am »
Here's another reason:

I went to RMAF with no intention whatsoever of buying speakers as I was more than happy with my Adagios.  I had never heard ACIs of any kind  before, and only knew of them peripherally through AC, and had only visited their web site once or twice.  Despite all the rave reviews, I just don't put a lot of weight on other people's impressions -- unless I know the person, their gear, and their tastes.  But, one does have to take note of a certain pattern of excellent reviews by a varied field of reviewers, most of which it seems, ended up buying their demo pairs, and all with different kinds of systems, musical preferences, etc.

Back to RMAF -- I went into the ACI room ostensibly to listen to my Bolder modded SB3 with Reference mods as it was on loan to the guys in the ACI room as Wayne figured I wouldn't mind (and he was completely correct.)  Then something happened... my wife and I just sat and listened, and listened for a whole lot longer than was necessary to hear the SB3 do its thing.  Whatever kind of music was playing, at whatever volume, it was nice, very nice, and very very "listenable".  Then I asked which sub they were using and they said that the sub was off and had been off for my entire time there.  To prove it, Mike turned it on, and then as the very bottom filled out with a bit more weight and presence, but otherwise the music sounded just as good, just as smoothe, and with no collapse of soundstage or smearing of the image -- in other words -- one of the best integrated subs I've heard.  This isn't an accident :-).

Long story short -- we ended up going back to the ACI room many more times over the weekend and ended up buying the demo models of the sub and SCS stands, and having a pair of the XLs in the cherry veneer shipped to us (matched the sub).

We never expected to do anything even remotely like this, but have just never looked back at our decision to do so.  I sold the Adagios to a neighbor who lives abut 50 yards away, and we negotiated supervised visitation rights, but I'm guessing that I'm not going to feel like leaving home very much to hear them :D

BTW, it was my wife who first asked how much they cost and if we could get them -- and she's no audiophile -- just loves to listen to music.  Tell that to the boss.

Also be prepared to have a great relationship with the maker of your speakers -- customer service is outstanding.

-- Jim

Double Ugly

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2007, 04:44 am »
They're very good speakers, griller.  I doubt you'll regret it.

griller

« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2007, 09:22 pm »
Jim, thanks very much. I'm completely sold, and I just showed your comments to the boss. I also pointed out how much she enjoyed our Emeralds and Force when I set them up in stereo mode. We're now using them in our HT to fantastic effect. You are so right about dealing with ACI, the company, great people and real support of their products and customers.  The good news is she said YES! She even agreed that I should put a move on and order them now. Think I'll pick up flowers on the way home!

griller

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2007, 08:56 pm »
Thought I'd let everyone know, they are on order, can't wait!  :D

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: 18 Dec 2007, 08:58 pm »
I think you'll love them.  They're wonderful speakers - very easy to listen to. 

Bryan

DR

• The Man
« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2007, 12:08 am »
Hey griller,

I think I am going to do the same thing instead of the second Force XL. I love the Emeralds but I think I need a pair of Sapphires. That is what happens when one becomes an ACI junky.  :D

Enjoy!

DR

DR

• The Man
« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2007, 12:27 am »
griller,

My order is in also.

Merry Christmas!

DR

Eric