Best boxes to pack Vinyl for a move?

TKonrad.NOLA

Best boxes to pack Vinyl for a move?
« on: 26 Jul 2019, 08:27 pm »
I'm moving from Denver to New Orleans and I think I want to pack my albums myself instead of having the movers do it.  Also thinking about taking them with me, as well as the turntable in my car.  Thoughts?   All input appreciated.

Phil_S

Re: Best boxes to pack Vinyl for a move?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2019, 08:31 pm »
Standard book boxes 13X17X12.  Available wherever moving supplies can be had.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2019, 08:47 pm »
I used 14 x 14 x 14 boxes from Home Depot, any bigger and they may get too heavy to pick up. Sturdy enough for 1 move but not much more.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pratt-Retail-Specialties-14-in-L-x-14-in-W-x-14-in-D-Moving-Box-25-Pack-CB1001023/202950418

15" of albums weigh 48 lbs or more = 80 albums = 1 - 14" x 14" moving box full.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2019, 09:32 pm »
The very best boxes are Wine bottle boxes. They are usually rather hard to acquire though.
When I moved 6000 LPs I got McDonalds frozen french fry boxes. I needed about 100 for all LPand CD and DVDs... I woud pick them up and spray them a bit with Febreze. When I was finished. I took them back to the McD and put them in the recycling all McD have. One thing is now many do you have? if you are going to pack the rear of your car.. you may actually overload the suspension!! Plus of you plan on stopping for the night at a motel...? All those goodies right out in the open...

krustykat

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2019, 09:58 pm »
I recently moved my record collection of about 1000 records to a new house.  I bought 6 Mapleshade unfinished oak LP modules (with the baltic birch overlays) to pack the records and move them.  The move went without any issues at all.  Once in the new house, I bought the 2 kick base and top sections, finished all the pieces with minwax stain, added alphabetical dividers and now use them to permanently store my records.  While not a cheap solution, it is a very study way to move the records and has the added benefit of being a permanent solution.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2019, 09:59 pm »
Standard book boxes 13X17X12.  Available wherever moving supplies can be had.
I just moved 3000 albums plus numerous box sets from Wa State to Missouri and used the standard 1.5 cu. ft. book boxes available from any moving company or U-haul. I got most of mine for free because they were used. About 40 boxes for the albums plus the standard medium size (3.0 cu. ft.) moving boxes for the box sets. They worked great.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2019, 10:38 pm »
I recently moved my record collection of about 1000 records to a new house.  I bought 6 Mapleshade unfinished oak LP modules (with the baltic birch overlays) to pack the records and move them.  The move went without any issues at all.  Once in the new house, I bought the 2 kick base and top sections, finished all the pieces with minwax stain, added alphabetical dividers and now use them to permanently store my records.  While not a cheap solution, it is a very study way to move the records and has the added benefit of being a permanent solution.

I like that IDEA and I don't need more than one at this time.  any pics?

krustykat

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2019, 10:51 pm »
I like that IDEA and I don't need more than one at this time.  any pics?
Sure, here it is today, notice how it gathers clutter.....

[/img]

krustykat

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2019, 10:52 pm »
not sure why that didn't work before....

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2019, 11:18 pm »
not sure why that didn't work before....

[/quoteI

Think I might order one

jschwenker

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2019, 02:34 pm »
Thanks for asking this, DD.
Huge kudos to them, and "our" folks, audio folks everywhere ought to know that Home Depot "small" moving boxes are PERFECT sized at 12-3/8 x 12-3/8 x 17 inches. And there's now a double wall heavy duty version...
Spread the word!
Cheers, John

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2019, 02:40 pm »
U-Haul has perfect boxes for under $2.00 each.  12 5/8 x 12 5/8 x 16"+.  I just moved about 8 linear shelf feet of LPs.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2019, 07:25 pm by thunderbrick »

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2019, 08:05 pm »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2019, 09:36 pm »
Is there an option for double boxing?

witchdoctor

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2019, 09:17 am »

JohnGotra

« Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2020, 05:13 pm »
Standard size cardboard boxes are enough, buffalo grove movers have used those boxes during relocation.

GerogeKelly

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2020, 11:17 am »
Cardboard size boxes are of great use because you can easily place things into it. You can rent moving boxes from any company that offers such boxes on rent.