Your favorite EL34?

prokennex

Re: Your favorite EL34?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Oct 2011, 06:39 pm »
Blue Mike do you have the treasures in the dodds? It would be interesting to hear how the JJ 6ca7 compare when used in the dodds.

Love to hear your thoughts if you try the JJ 6ca7s.

Ray

bluemike

« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2011, 03:39 pm »
Blue Mike do you have the treasures in the dodds? It would be interesting to hear how the JJ 6ca7 compare when used in the dodds.

Love to hear your thoughts if you try the JJ 6ca7s.

Ray
Not yet, the treasures are my first choice but they are pricey
The Genelex kt77 are my second choice
The JJ 6CA7 is a strong contender at it's price point
I have the JJ kT77 and they do alot of things right but i'm missing a bit of the highs and air around the instruments that a good el34 will give you

Syrah

« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2011, 01:54 am »
Hey Bluemike.  All's good.  Always changes to my system.  As I tell my wife, "it's a journey, not a destination..."

carusoracer

« Reply #23 on: 12 Oct 2011, 07:46 pm »
Good to hear about other combinations of New production tubes. Some of the traits that have been described regarding the treasures are pretty darn accurate.
OTH, Break In, Break In, Break In. It is so important with the Treasures as the Manufacture recommends. I listened to mine intially after I purchased them preowned and thought that they were nice but nice nothing too special. I believe they had around 100 hours on them.
I let them burn in through the radio and burn in discs to 400 hours. Never listened in between in my modded Jolia 302b. Put it back in the bedroom system and I think "Marvin Gaye" and had some great bedroom Mojo to set the mood :lol: 8)  Never looked back.

I bought another set and tried them in my new to me acquired Dodd 120's and compared them to the Gold Lion KT77 Reissues. Both are good but the Treasures simply have that well rounded sweet midrange with nice clean non fatique high's. They are pricey. so much that I'm looking at the JJ's for the bedroom since the Winged C's are in there and I'm kind of bored with their sound. Tube goodness might be a nice trick as I can't find anymore deals on the Treasure's.

prokennex

« Reply #24 on: 13 Oct 2011, 12:39 am »
I hope to have another quad of the black treasures before Christmas. A month or so past, I bought a quad of the treasures from datman who now is using the jj 6ca7 in his tori.

He had put 300 hours on them so I'm looking for  another used quad with some hours on them. I hate such a long burn in. I wish the tube vendors who sell these new would at least burn a couple hundred hours on them.

Recently put some nos mullards blackburn factory in my Dodd battery pre. Although they have more detail and sweetness than the stock jj's, I miss the dynamics and find them a little to soft. This is the 6dj8 or 6922. Going to try the gold lion 6922 next for the pre.

I mention the experience with the 6922 to try and avoid the same parallel with the Dodd 120. By using the tresures I'm hoping to get the same authority and dynamics as the jj's with some added sweetness and detail.

bluemike

« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2011, 09:37 pm »
Hey Bluemike.  All's good.  Always changes to my system.  As I tell my wife, "it's a journey, not a destination..."
What does the system look like these days
You still have the logans ?