Has anyone experience with DIY HiFi Supply LUX 91 Max mono 300B amplifiers?

-Richard-

Hello fellow tube amplifier lovers ~

Has anyone experience with DIY HiFi Supply LUX 91 Max mono 300B amplifiers with the Silk Transformers?

I have picked up posts of buyers that have had significant problems with this amplifier necessitating them sending back the amp to Hong Kong!!! But I cannot tell if these posters are an anomaly... or if this is indeed a significant quality control issue with this apparently well-designed 300B amplifier.

Here is a link to their website: http://diyhifisupply.com/catalog/110

So if anyone in our community has had experience with this amp... good, bad, and everything in between, can you please share your experiences with me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

With Warmest Regards ~ Richard

Kt77

Hi Richard, I've a friend that owns one of their older Billie 300B Mono-blocks made as a kit, and he has never had a problem with it, as he has shown me it's internal as he has changed out caps and resistors. I'd think that it'd be an easy enough fix unless it was something going on with the transformers in which case I'd merely have them check it over a 78 period before shipping - which gives them enough time to catch if something goes wrong. Brian seems to care a lot about his products and it might just be a case of ones that slipped through without being properly inspected. Regards,Oscar

-Richard-

Hi Oscar ~

I apologize for not responding to your very thoughtful post sooner. AC does not seem to any longer notify me when a thread I have started has been posted to.

Thanks for your feedback and for sharing your personal experience with me... I deeply appreciate it.

Yes... it seems that all of the 300B's out there that are not priced like down-payments on a house, need to have internals swapped-out for better ones in order to raise the performance to its "potential".

I am still looking... audionote England has a kit that is bloody expensive but people rave about it in their feedback section... Bottlehead has a kit that is much more reasonable although their output transformers are surprising small. A great deal of the SET literature claims that the "sound" that SET's are famous for is in the transformers... that is unless one is interested in a transformer-less circuit design like David Berning's... not cheap... and unless he makes a production-run... which is not now on the agenda... his hand-made examples are rather rudimentary... I have heard good things about Don Garber's latest mono-block versions with special transformers... over $6k.

I am looking for a "transparent" and rich sound... liquid but and not overly "tubby". If anyone has any suggestions for a 300B amplifier that fits that description I am extremely interested in your experience and thoughts.

If it is expensive, perhaps I can purchase it used.

Thanks in advance for your kind help and suggestions.

With Warmest Regards ~ Richard