A day with GR-Research

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: A day with GR-Research
« Reply #40 on: 29 Oct 2020, 05:25 am »
I would too miss that punch. How do the low mids punch on the Nx-Oticas from the M-165 woofers? Do they act more like woofers or more clean and transparent like the NQ drivers in an OB config? Somewhere in between? There is a lot of bass thumpin and drum slam in that 70-150 Hz range.

They get close to a large paper woofer but not quite there on their own.  But the good news is that the servo subs play cleanly up to 200hz.  So if you want more punch in that range, just dial the sub to cover it. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: A day with GR-Research
« Reply #41 on: 29 Oct 2020, 05:27 am »
Nice amps you guys have. I have, or had some similar.

In the past I have had the entry level Prima-Luna, both stereo and the mono blocks. Also had First Watt Aleph J, F5, and original Aleph 3.

Today I have:
VTA ST-70 with the octal input tubes
Pass ACA mono blocks
Ayre Acoustics V-3

To try something different, I just purchased a Purifi Audio 1ET400A by VTV, with the Sparkos SS2590 input buffer. Looking forward to trying this amp. First class D for me.

Ah, interesting.  So you're also a tube guy, and you're dipping your toes into Class D.  Have fun!  If the Purifi amp doesn't fully satisfy you, don't give up on Class D, check out the Cherry/Maraschino amps from DAC here on AC.  I've heard them a few times at RMAF and they get tone right in a way that many Class D (and SS) amps don't.