Vandersteen 5A Question

dminches

Vandersteen 5A Question
« on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:38 pm »
What is the +/- db range of the low frequency optimization controls on the back of the speakers?  Right now I have everything set at 0 but have to make adjustments based on room measurements.  I assume they will be somewhat approximate since the pots are not marked.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Vandersteen 5A Question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2012, 04:14 pm »
I believe they're +3, -12dB, but that's only a vague recollection.  Do you have the setup disc?

dminches

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2012, 04:25 pm »
I believe they're +3, -12dB, but that's only a vague recollection.  Do you have the setup disc?

No.  I am working with an acoustic engineer who has analyzed recordings in the room after we have installed all the acoustic treatments.  In case you are interested, here are a couple shots.

*Scotty*

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2012, 05:50 pm »
According to your owners manual you are in an ideal position to have your Model 5As professionally setup by your acoustic engineer.  Various reviews of the 5A underline the fact that the the factory setting of the bass equalization on the speaker results in bass levels that are louder than the rest of the music spectrum in most rooms.
 On this basis I wouldn't assume that the factory settings on the equalizer are necessarily correct for your room dimensions or speaker placement.
Scotty

dminches

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2012, 05:53 pm »
I haven't assumed that.  What I can't figure out is what the adjustment range is on the pots on the back of the speaker.  Even if you have the proposed adjustments, how do you know how much to turn the screws to match the adjustments?  I assume someone has done this.

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2012, 06:30 pm »
I'd say it's time to call Vandersteen and get the answers to your questions.
Scotty

dmatt

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2012, 06:48 pm »
David,

I guessed that the hash marks are per dB.  Since Vandersteen says in the 5A manual that the adjacent bands also need to be adjusted, and that you should strive for only a 75% correction to flat, I had to perform at least 5 frequency sweeps per speaker to dial in my room compensation.  Very iterative.

If you don't have the manual, it can be found at the Vandersteen site:

http://www.vandersteen.com/5amanual.pdf

Good Luck.

David M.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2012, 07:17 pm »
I haven't assumed that.  What I can't figure out is what the adjustment range is on the pots on the back of the speaker.  Even if you have the proposed adjustments, how do you know how much to turn the screws to match the adjustments?  I assume someone has done this.

I have no idea how much the turn of the screw changed things.  While it is probably not what you wanted to hear, I measured, made changes, and measured again.  I repeated this process until I got the sound where I wanted it (measured and by ear).

Took a while to do, but well worth it.

BTW, love the room!!   :thumb: :thumb:

George

*Scotty*

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2012, 08:03 pm »
I can easily believe that there will being a lot of successive approximations until it measures and sounds close to right. With eleven bands of equalization available there are at least eleven ways per loudspeaker to get it wrong if comprehensive measurements aren't done as part of the process.
Scotty