2009 Thanksgiving Menu

BobM

Re: 2009 Thanksgiving Menu
« Reply #20 on: 20 Nov 2009, 04:20 pm »
I've got a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker, so it's primarily a set it and forget it cook, with an occasional restocking of wood. We usually don't brine our turkey, but I can see how that might help keep it nice and moist in the smoker without needing an extra water pan. The big question is how long to let it go for?

turkey

« Reply #21 on: 20 Nov 2009, 04:30 pm »
I've got a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker, so it's primarily a set it and forget it cook, with an occasional restocking of wood. We usually don't brine our turkey, but I can see how that might help keep it nice and moist in the smoker without needing an extra water pan. The big question is how long to let it go for?

I found someone who says it took 8 hours at 250 degrees.
http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=ab-bbq&tid=2942

Old Smokey recommends about 5 1/4 hours in my smoker for that size bird.

Here's what Masterbuilt recommends:

Recipes

Smoked Turkey

Ingredients

10-14 lbs Turkey                                                                                                                           

1 tbsp Salt                                                                                                                         

2 tbsp Sugar                                                                                                                     

1 Apple (cored, peeled, and quartered)                                             

2 medium Onion (quartered)                                                                                           

4 Celery stalks with leaves                                                                             

Suggested wood for smoking:

Hickory or Apple chips

Directions

Thaw turkey according to package directions if necessary. Remove giblets and neck. Rinse and pat dry. Sprinkle turkey cavity with salt. Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Dredge apple in mixture.  Stuff apple, onion and celery into cavity. Close with skewers. Tie ends of legs to tail with kitchen string. Lift wing tips up and over the back to tuck under.  Preheat smoker to 225 degrees. Place turkey on grate and cook for about 8-12 hours or until inner thigh temperature reaches 180 degrees.  Before serving, cover turkey and chill or let stand 20 minutes before carving.

BobM

« Reply #22 on: 20 Nov 2009, 05:25 pm »
I just spoke with the real cook and she said "you're not going to experiment with my Thanksgiving dinner." So maybe some other time (Christmas? - probably not).

Thanks anyway.

turkey

« Reply #23 on: 20 Nov 2009, 06:08 pm »
I just spoke with the real cook and she said "you're not going to experiment with my Thanksgiving dinner." So maybe some other time (Christmas? - probably not).

Thanks anyway.

I'm betting that it would be delicious. Turkeys aren't that expensive, so maybe you can try smoking one when it's not a holiday? It's no different than if you decided to buy a brisket or pork shoulder and smoke that.

I can see her point about not trying something brand new for Thanksgiving Dinner.

ctviggen

« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2009, 06:18 pm »

Thanks anyway.

You can do what I did, which is to cook two turkeys.  That way, there's the normal turkey and the "new" turkey.  But then, I like turkey. 

My Grill Dome will supposedly cook at low temperatures, like 200-250, but I've never done it.  I can't see staying up to midnight to start cooking a turkey that will take 12 hours to cook, however, so that it's ready at noon.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2009, 06:31 pm »

Thanks anyway.

More time for you to drink your Castle Borghese Pinot Noir.  BTW, congrats on your new contract.  We still hope to hear from you even when you get busy.   :lol:

P.S.  If you are drinking $30 LI (not exactly known for it's terroir) Pinot Noir, you really should pick up that Super Tuscan (#10 on the list) for $18.50.  It's basically a Bordeaux with additional Sangiovese in the mix.  Good synergy among the grapes can really make these hedonistic pleasures if you like muscular red.  It's a no brainer at this price. 

BobM

« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2009, 07:11 pm »
I do like a good Meritage, but right now my wine rack is actually over full. I need to drink it down first  :wine:

And I'm just the man for the job!!! Too bad you don't live closer - good wine, good music and we can bitch about Topround (who is also a wine drinker BTW, so he can't be all bad). :wink:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2009, 07:30 pm »
Hey,  I like Mike personally.  I have had nothing but good conversations with him on the phone and PMs.  I am sure I would have fun time with him if I ever get to one of the RAVE affairs.  But I have to do what I need to do as volunteer who assumed certain responsibilities on Audio Circle.  I don't have any personal animosities against anybody.

Enjoy your turkey day.  You, too, Mike.   :wine:

BobM

« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2009, 08:06 pm »
Mikes a bud. No worries, just trash talkin'.

turkey

« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2009, 08:29 pm »
But then, I like turkey. 

I'm blushing.