Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: BMC PureDAC now available
« Reply #62 on: 21 Nov 2013, 01:48 am »
New user review:

http://deafcanhear.blogspot.ch/2013/11/bmc-puredac-follow-up.html

Thanks for posting, definitely a great showing by the PureDAC!

These are available immediately.  The PureDAC retails for $1690, contact me through PM's to receive AudioCircle special pricing. 

wisnon

« Reply #63 on: 23 Nov 2013, 06:17 pm »
Very good Dac for the price, just like your speakers.

worldcat

« Reply #64 on: 25 Nov 2013, 09:31 pm »
What is the special pricing?

roscoeiii

« Reply #65 on: 25 Nov 2013, 09:53 pm »
Thanks for posting, definitely a great showing by the PureDAC!

These are available immediately.  The PureDAC retails for $1690, contact me through PM's to receive AudioCircle special pricing.

Well, I think if he'd wanted to say publicly, he'd have posted it here. Looks like you will have to PM...

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #66 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:29 pm »
While it's not exactly the same piece, I had the BMC DAC1Pre in my system for an audition.  It sounded fantastic. . .I'm sure the PureDAC does as well.  Carlos Candeias is a very talented designer.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #67 on: 26 Nov 2013, 12:34 am »
Well, I think if he'd wanted to say publicly, he'd have posted it here. Looks like you will have to PM...

Yes, PM please or email ryan@vaporsound.com

HiroPro

« Reply #68 on: 29 Jan 2014, 08:26 am »
New user review:

http://deafcanhear.blogspot.ch/2013/11/bmc-puredac-follow-up.html

I can't take a reviewer seriously that makes comments like, "Given some break in time and a right power cord, PureDAC will pop eyes!!!" and "A worthy note, PureDAC sits on Debussy, while Debussy was rested on Nordost Sort Kones. We all know how isolation can do, right. It is not surprise to see that Debussy is more exciting but they were not compare on a fair ground."

Is this guy trying to suggest because the PureDAC isn't sitting on those SILLY "Sort Kones" but on top of the other DAC it's not on fair ground?

That dude seems KOOKY!

It sure looks like a nice DAC though none the less.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2014, 09:56 am by HiroPro »

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #69 on: 29 Jan 2014, 08:22 pm »
I've owned the NAD M51 for a while now. Nice DAC! I acquired a BMC S1 a few months back. So I've had my eye on the PureDAC mostly because of its connectivity with the S1. But correct me if I'm wrong. Does the BMC S1 connect to the PureDAC via a special umbilical cord? I know the later models have this "special connection" that ties amp and DAC together. As I recall, the S1 does not have the digital volume control which is OK by me as I use a digital volume control on my Anti-Mode.

Of course the 2 BMC pieces would look great together. I'm hopeful they'll add to what I'm already hearing in my setup.

:thumb:

HiroPro

« Reply #70 on: 29 Jan 2014, 09:45 pm »
I've owned the NAD M51 for a while now. Nice DAC! I acquired a BMC S1 a few months back. So I've had my eye on the PureDAC mostly because of its connectivity with the S1. But correct me if I'm wrong. Does the BMC S1 connect to the PureDAC via a special umbilical cord? I know the later models have this "special connection" that ties amp and DAC together. As I recall, the S1 does not have the digital volume control which is OK by me as I use a digital volume control on my Anti-Mode.

Of course the 2 BMC pieces would look great together. I'm hopeful they'll add to what I'm already hearing in my setup.

:thumb:

Yes the DAC has that special TOSlink connection to control the gain structure of the amp from the DAC.

Those are some very interesting products but the price on that amp is...

no comment!
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2014, 12:27 am by HiroPro »

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #71 on: 31 Jan 2014, 10:35 pm »
Yes and I traded a pair of very precious Joule Electra VZN100 for the BMC. And because I don't own any speakers (I have a pair of borrowed SCM active's the BMC sits silent  :(

So I'll be entering the speaker market sometime soon.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #72 on: 1 Feb 2014, 12:14 am »
Hiro is right, the PureDAC and S1 do connect via the DIGM link.  Using them that way is a significant performance improvement, much lower noise floor and a smoother more resolving overall sound. 

It's a combination I know quite well.  When you're ready to talk speakers, I know a few excellent matches  :D

soundofrockets

« Reply #73 on: 1 Feb 2014, 12:25 am »
No speakers !! what happened to your newly aquired V2s ??

i am sure you miss your LS6s.

HiroPro

« Reply #74 on: 1 Feb 2014, 07:45 am »
Hiro is right, the PureDAC and S1 do connect via the DIGM link.  Using them that way is a significant performance improvement, much lower noise floor and a smoother more resolving overall sound. 

It's a combination I know quite well.  When you're ready to talk speakers, I know a few excellent matches  :D

I'm curious if you guys have ever considered using bamboo as a speaker material as it can be purchase with a lam structure similar to your stacked cabs.

Teregren will even make custom molds.

http://www.teragren.com/man_land.html

Plyboo is another manufacturer though I don't know if they have been manufacturing custom laminate molds.

http://www.plyboo.com/

I just love the look of bamboo.

There is also some amazing cement products you can get now with various sealants, dyes and surface textures that could also be used to make amazing cabinets.

Great information about cement molds.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete-molds/

One would think that would be the ultimate cabinet material.

Another potentially amazing material to make speaker cabinets out of is various types of aerogels. The sound dampening properties of various aerogels being researched by anomalous materials researchers is astounding and currently the physics not understood.

I still believe high tech light weight cement products molded into acoustically optimized cabs in the best potential cabinet manufacturing technology currently available.
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2014, 09:58 am by HiroPro »

HiroPro

« Reply #75 on: 1 Feb 2014, 08:41 am »
Yes, PM please or email ryan@vaporsound.com

Do you know Ryan if that DAC is performing oversampling beyond the 32bit digital volume processing?

I've recently come to the conclusion that oversampling hurts audio quality due to qualtization errors/noise and  resulting in dithering being performed that does have a perceived affect on the higher band from interpolation even if at high bitrates. I think there is an unknown psychoacoustic negative perception occurring.

I know the ESS DAC does oversample everything for the volume to be attenuated digitally at 32bit. This isn't oversampling that's actually adding information but is padded digitally before being processed I think though not certain. The thing is the DAC's firmware/microcode can be programmed to also perform classic oversampling with the anti-aliasing filter being performed ahead of the sampler.

This is where I believe the perceivable sonic damage is done to the source via this "folding" as it creates upper order harmonics that have to be filtered by the AA processing.

For anyone interesting in understanding this stuff, as I'm trying to do, these videos are a fantastic primer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2-FP7twy8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqHIOA-Fcuw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4dfZj8pi2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j24Yt77ALf8

DITHER vs. NO DITHER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRlohQw-1DY

The trucation distortion from dithers is the problem IMHO!

The problem is most DAW work flows are 32bit floating point internally so they are always downsampling post production and performing this bloody dithering!

The irony is that the endusers are then upsampling via their DACs a dithered downsampled signal!

Part the problem is also the converters used during production.

If you look at all of the signal processing/conversion done from the point of capture to the enduser/listener via poor distro and audio rendering it'd understandable a lot of keen ears are so into vinyl because this will avoid perhaps one or two layers of these SQ damaging conversions.

I just read an interesting document entitled "Condemnation without Examination is Prejudiced, or Words of Wisdom" by John Curl and was very intrigued with the concept of PIM and am also working through other papers he cites in the piece.

Though not similar in how these psychoacoustic results are produced I'm starting to think this FM distortion due to ignored high order HD that people seem to perceive due to FM noise and phasing issues in the passband is probably one in the same.

Are these higher order distortions out of passband resulting in FM and phase distortion/IM in the passband that we are perceiving?

How does this affect the reality that our flawed stereo playback systems (creating 4 unnatural sound arrivals) is obviously creating a psycho-acoustic perceived phase shift combined with P/IM as well as the real phase and IM issues? Is this due to PIM perception? If PIM is real what is it's operational relationship with the 4 arrival flaw in a psycho-acoustic sense? How does interoral time delay play a role?

Perhaps the noise people seem so keep to introduce (warmth) is masking our perception of this phenomenon...

How do we go about effectively testing for this FM/PIM distortion in the lab? How to we quantify and measure it in loudspeaker system and include the psychoacoustic element?
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2014, 10:04 am by HiroPro »

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #76 on: 19 Feb 2014, 08:07 pm »
No speakers !! what happened to your newly aquired V2s ??

i am sure you miss your LS6s.

We will always miss the LS6's. Dumbest sale ever!  :duh:

Morgan has my Super V's. Ryan had the ATC's in my room and now they are sold. I bought a pair of high end Pioneer SB-22's. So now I have a BMC S1 sending signal through the Synergistic Research Tesla's to a pair of $90 dollar speakers.

I'm watching a lot of Olympics.... :|

StevensSound

« Reply #77 on: 19 Feb 2014, 09:17 pm »
Interesting thoughts on how many DAWs are using 32 bit mix engines. Some are even 64 bit float point engines!
On the reverse side of the coin, a 24 bit file has 144 dB of dynamic range. 141 dB will cause nausea.

And Why

« Reply #78 on: 1 Mar 2014, 04:49 pm »
Good day all,

Hopefully a quick question. Reading the manual it states that the AES/EBU, SPDIF as well as toslink inputs are all limited to 24/96. Can someone who has one of the PureDACs please confirm (or hopefully deny) this. I understand that toslink is limited to 24/96 but the others should be at least able to handle 24/192.

Thanks,

Andy

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #79 on: 1 Mar 2014, 05:37 pm »
Good day all,

Hopefully a quick question. Reading the manual it states that the AES/EBU, SPDIF as well as toslink inputs are all limited to 24/96. Can someone who has one of the PureDACs please confirm (or hopefully deny) this. I understand that toslink is limited to 24/96 but the others should be at least able to handle 24/192.

Thanks,

Andy

I hadn't noticed that in the manual, and will ask BMC to correct it ... but I've put 24/192 through the SPDIF and it has played, and displayed as 192 on the front panel.