• Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Vigore
« Reply #21 on: 20 Jun 2018, 05:40 am »
More pictures...

steve1580

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jun 2018, 11:45 am »
Is the grill held by magnets below the veneer?  Love this speaker!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jun 2018, 03:38 pm »
Is the grill held by magnets below the veneer?  Love this speaker!

Yes, embedded neo magnets. I love it too!

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #24 on: 21 Jun 2018, 01:02 pm »
I love it too.  :D
Any comments on the sound? What stands are you using for the photo op?

dburna

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jun 2018, 01:04 pm »
Rick, what height stands do you recommend for this monitor?

Thanks, -dGB

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #26 on: 21 Jun 2018, 04:40 pm »
Rick,

What was your goal in voicing these speakers? What was the result? [I know. I'm asking you to use words to describe their sound.  :duh: ]

There are many compact three-way speakers of more or less similar size; some stand out for their midrange; others for their balance. Some are warmer sounding; others are more resolving. Where does the sound of these speakers fall? Will my Ancora center channel give me a good idea of their sound?

Regards,

Michael

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2018, 06:24 pm »
I love it too.  :D
Any comments on the sound? What stands are you using for the photo op?

22" tall Sanus stand. I'm biased on the sound since I designed it - Nick can chime in later.  :)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #28 on: 22 Jun 2018, 01:49 pm »
Rick, what height stands do you recommend for this monitor?

Thanks, -dGB

Here's a vertical response set of curves. As you can see it's very uniform and flexible for stands 18" to 24" tall.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #29 on: 25 Jun 2018, 01:25 pm »
Rick,

What was your goal in voicing these speakers? What was the result? [I know. I'm asking you to use words to describe their sound.  :duh: ]

There are many compact three-way speakers of more or less similar size; some stand out for their midrange; others for their balance. Some are warmer sounding; others are more resolving. Where does the sound of these speakers fall? Will my Ancora center channel give me a good idea of their sound?

Regards,

Michael

I aim for a neutral tonal balance with any design. The beryllium tweeter has a little better resolution than the soft dome in the Ancora.

Nick V

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jun 2018, 08:41 pm »
Look what finally showed up today!

The first speaker showed up almost a week ago, and I had to agonize until today for the second box to show up. Thanks USPS.

I'm just playing some Norah Jones on SACD through the Esoteric SA-50 and things are sounding very good out of the box. I'll post some comments once I've had a little more time with them.

The System (2 channel signal path):

Selah Audio Vigore (obviously)
Esoteric SA-50 SACD/CD/DAC
miniDSP DDRC-22D Dirac Live processor (all digital signals run through here then into Esoteric SA-50 coax digital input)
Wyred4Sound STP-SE Preamp
Krell KAV 250a/3 re-capped with Nichicon 105°C capacitors
Oppo BDP-83 (mostly for 2ch. DVD-Audio into the Esoteric DAC)
Sound Application CF-X Power Conditioner
Various cables, tweaks (Bybee AC purifiers, AQ Rocket 33 speaker cables, AQ MacKenzie XLRs, Anticables, Cryoclear, PS Audio, Signal Cable, etc..  )

I also have a pair of Velodyne SPL800R subwoofers that I was using with my previous KEF LS50s. Not sure if I'll be using them anymore or if I'll sell them. I might also hook them up as LFE subs for home theater to complement my Mirage BPS-400 instead of running them as stereo subs for 2 channel. This is a hybrid 2 channel / home theater system with separate signal paths for each.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #31 on: 6 Jul 2018, 08:47 pm »
Rick,

Can monitors such as these be easily modified to have a wider baffle/shallower depth? Would doing so have a negative effect on SQ or imaging?

Thanks,

Michael

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #32 on: 6 Jul 2018, 10:00 pm »
Rick,

Can monitors such as these be easily modified to have a wider baffle/shallower depth? Would doing so have a negative effect on SQ or imaging?

Thanks,

Michael

Not in this case possible due to the port tuning. An option would be going sealed and adding a DSP amp. Wider baffles aren't an issue but you don't want the box to be too shallow as that can add coloration.

steve1580

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jul 2018, 12:02 am »
Rick,

How would you describe the difference between the Vigore and the Fedele?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #34 on: 21 Jul 2018, 12:24 am »
Rick,

How would you describe the difference between the Vigore and the Fedele?

The main differences are in bass extension and output capability. The overall sonic character is very similar.

steve1580

« Reply #35 on: 23 Jul 2018, 07:52 pm »
Rick,

Sent you an email the other day.  Am now able to go with floorstanders (up to 40") and am wondering if the Vigore in a reconfigured cabinet could be an option for us with only 17" available depth to a rear wall?  If no, would any other of your designs be a better fit (ie Essenza, etc). 

Again I love the look of this speaker!

Steve Morgan

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #36 on: 23 Jul 2018, 10:35 pm »
Rick,

Sent you an email the other day.  Am now able to go with floorstanders (up to 40") and am wondering if the Vigore in a reconfigured cabinet could be an option for us with only 17" available depth to a rear wall?  If no, would any other of your designs be a better fit (ie Essenza, etc). 

Again I love the look of this speaker!

Steve Morgan

Sorry for my late reply - I just answered your email. It is possible to reconfigure the design as a floorstander.

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #37 on: 20 Aug 2018, 04:06 pm »
Let the waiting begin..... I've placed an order for my own set of Vigore's with an Ebony Veneer. I won't be able to listen to then until just before Thanksgiving, so I will have to make do with reading others talk about their Selah speakers until then.  :D

BTW, I have a pair of the legacy Grandeur's (Revalator woofer and RAAL Tweeter) that we've been happy with for a long time now.

Chuck

Nick V

« Reply #38 on: 23 Aug 2018, 01:32 am »
Let the waiting begin..... I've placed an order for my own set of Vigore's with an Ebony Veneer. I won't be able to listen to then until just before Thanksgiving, so I will have to make do with reading others talk about their Selah speakers until then.  :D

BTW, I have a pair of the legacy Grandeur's (Revalator woofer and RAAL Tweeter) that we've been happy with for a long time now.

Chuck
I think you'll love them, I'm absolutely loving mine!!

They produce fantastic bass on their own, but they do still benefit from being played with subwoofers.

I re-ran Dirac Live today with my pair of Velodyne SPL-800R subwoofers and the system is now playing lower and louder than before.

Based on what I'm hearing now, I think I might move the Velodyne 800R pair to my bedroom system, move my Martin Logan Dynamo 700W subwoofer into my desktop system and move my Paradigm Monitor SUB10 out of the desktop system into the main system and find a second one to match.

I don't have much room for the subs in there as you can see if you scroll up, but I think I have just enough room to move up to a pair of 10's from the 8's that are in there now.

beradthefish

« Reply #39 on: 24 Aug 2018, 07:06 pm »
I've never owned what anyone would consider a nice set of speakers, I decided a month ago to start researching them.  After reaching analysis paralysis, I eventually stumbled on builders' forums and eventually Selah Audio.

Through Rick's outstanding responsiveness and patience, I was able to build these, my first speakers (and certainly not my last).  They sound absolutely excellent and were worth every ounce of effort I put in to them.

Some notes on construction:  I used dowel joinery throughout, veneered with a simple maple which is finished with Hope's tung oil.  Nothing exotic.  The tweeter screws are presently brass until I either replace or paint them, I was having trouble with the M3 screws' heads spinning off despite pilot holes being drilled.  Heroes of the build (other than Rick) include a Jasper M-240 circle jig and an Amana Tool 51204 SC Short/Flat Pilot router bit.  The latter was vital to trimming the veneer to the outer diameters on the baffle since I cut the holes before veneering.  Standard flush-trim bits’ bearings are too large to fit in the gap.  I also use a Jessem doweling jig.

I had leftover MDF and used it to make stands.  Not a very robust material on its own so I coated them with leftover bed-liner.

So thanks again to Rick for his guidance!  These certainly won’t be my last, I look forward to building again.

(not sure why some of the images are rotated, not so on my end)

fish