OS X Mavericks

bside123

OS X Mavericks
« on: 27 Oct 2013, 04:02 am »
Anybody upgrade? Any users with realtime experience?

As an aside my experience with upgrading to iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 was a terrible. Now, you can't go back, I'm waiting for a number of upgrades and bug fixes. The phone worked like a champ until the upgrade... now it's a chump.

TrungT

bside123

Re: OS X Mavericks
« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2013, 04:50 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120765.msg1270782#msg1270782

Thanks for the link. I'm also looking for some overall feedback in addition to use with playback programs.

Geardaddy

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2013, 04:18 pm »
seamless to date.  No problems with either Pure Music or La Rosita plugin for wireless streaming.

The phone is another matter.  Rrrr...

Geardaddy

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2013, 04:24 pm »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2013, 06:20 pm »
Anybody upgrade? Any users with realtime experience?

As an aside my experience with upgrading to iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 was a terrible. Now, you can't go back, I'm waiting for a number of upgrades and bug fixes. The phone worked like a champ until the upgrade... now it's a chump.
All is working great with my USB dacs.   :thumb:   

Crimson

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2013, 08:05 pm »
All is working great with my USB dacs.   :thumb:

+1.

Nor have I run across any other issues.

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2013, 11:12 pm »
I have a weird issue I want to resolve before upgrading. Because I have a snow Leopard partition on my Macbook, I sometimes boot into that to use some "obsolete" software. I noticed that although the only partitions there are ML 10.8 (upgraded from 10.7) and SL10.6.8, I have a 'Recovery HD' partition and a 'Recovery HD 10.8.5' partition. So far neither an Apple "Genius" nor the Apple Support Forums have been able to tell me why this is or what I should do about it. Anyone here got any ideas?

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2013, 11:32 pm »
Recovery HD is an "invisible" partition that contains enough code to boot the machine so it can download a new copy of the OS. My guess as to why you have two of them is that one was created for Lion and the other for ML.

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2013, 11:49 pm »
No issues for me on my giant iMac.

Paul

apollophono

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2013, 01:48 am »
I lost my USB on my 2008 MacBook.  About a year ago I lost the
airport receiver on it; so I bought a USB wireless receiver.
Now that can't be used.    :( Back to the old dependable NIC
port.  Hope they fix the problem soon.

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2013, 03:11 am »
Recovery HD is an "invisible" partition that contains enough code to boot the machine so it can download a new copy of the OS. My guess as to why you have two of them is that one was created for Lion and the other for ML.

I installed Mountain Lion over Lion. There is no Lion on the machine anymore, therefore there should be no recovery partition for it. This has been confirmed by a Mac Genius.

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2013, 06:16 am »
I installed Mountain Lion over Lion. There is no Lion on the machine anymore, therefore there should be no recovery partition for it. This has been confirmed by a Mac Genius.

What if the ML upgrade had gone sour? How would you recover the machine if the Lion Recovery HD had been erased already?

At any rate, you have the machine in front of you, you can see for yourself what version of the OS is on each Recovery partition.

scb

« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2013, 03:18 pm »
What if the ML upgrade had gone sour? How would you recover the machine if the Lion Recovery HD had been erased already?

At any rate, you have the machine in front of you, you can see for yourself what version of the OS is on each Recovery partition.

Time Machine

dB Cooper

« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2013, 05:10 pm »

By restoring from the bootable backup on my external hard drive, made with Carbon Copy Cloner.

One of the volumes is clearly labeled 10.8.4, the other one has to be the 10.7 partition. So I know which partition needs to be deleted, it's just that nobody seems to know how to do it. Including Apple.

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2013, 05:13 am »
Time Machine

Hi, but you need to boot the machine before you can restore from a TM backup. Hence, Recovery HD... :)

By restoring from the bootable backup on my external hard drive, made with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Sure, but that's not what Apple provides.

It's not a big deal or anything, I'm just trying to explain why there is logic to keeping the Lion Recovery HD.

One of the volumes is clearly labeled 10.8.4, the other one has to be the 10.7 partition. So I know which partition needs to be deleted, it's just that nobody seems to know how to do it. Including Apple.

You can check for sure by booting from each recovery partition.

Partitions can be deleted with diskutil. I'd imagine this is getting into "not supported" territory though. It's not going to cause a problem to just leave the unwanted Recovery partitions there, though. You can recover some drive space but at the risk of ending up having to restore from backups anyway. It's up to you of course.

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 29 Oct 2013, 05:22 am »
So, just to add to that, if you have CCC there is a (relatively) risk-free way to do the upgrade. First, let's assume that you have two bootable backups. Just in case. Then do the Mavericks upgrade on one of the bootable backups. Check it out, test it, etc. If it's good, clone it to the internal drive.

OK! I think I'll do it that way myself.

scb

« Reply #17 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:33 pm »
Hi, but you need to boot the machine before you can restore from a TM backup. Hence, Recovery HD... :)

OS X Internet Recovery
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 29 Oct 2013, 11:37 pm »
OS X Internet Recovery
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Good point. I'd forgotten about that  :o

Andre2

« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2013, 02:36 am »
No sound comes from my eastern electric dac 2.  youtube freezes, iTunes freezes, iTunes and Audirvana also do not work

« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2013, 11:44 pm by Andre2 »