Ways to combat baffle diffraction in low mid-range

DannyBadorine

Ways to combat baffle diffraction in low mid-range
« on: 29 Aug 2021, 02:56 pm »
I'm asking for ideas from you all.  I have an 8.5" wide baffle with a GR research M130 mid woofer.  I'm dealing with some problems between 200Hz and 500Hz due to these frequencies wrapping around the box and summing or cancelling.  What ways have you all successfully dealt with this?  I currently have a 1/2" rounder on the baffle edges.  Should I try a 1" rounder?  Would adding an additional mid woofer and making the top an MTM make this better?  Should I rounder the rear of the cabinet?  I have a picture of the frequency response and the current prototype cabinet.

DannyBadorine

Re: Ways to combat baffle diffraction in low mid-range
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2021, 02:59 pm »
Also to note and discuss:
I used 1/12 octave smoothing.  If I changed it to 1/3 Octave then it looks much better.  Is that just what everybody does to ignore these problems and sell speakers?  There are ways in the crossover to get the low mid-range to be more even with the upper mid range, but I would prefer to get my initial design to be better on the box before I tamper with the crossover too much.

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2021, 04:53 pm »
This is exactly what baffle step correction is for... you'd have to increase the baffle size to stop those frequencies from going around to the back. I doubt you're seeing diffraction, it's just baffle size vs frequency for the most part.

As far as summing or canceling on the back side, why does it matter? It's all going to be delayed reflections. What window gate are you using for measurements? Might want to think about that. 500hz only takes 6.5" of baffle/cone to become front directional only so it makes perfect since why you're seeing an increase after 400-500hz area as everything is moving forward at that point.

If you're measuring up in the air you shouldn't have floor bounce. Where are the lowers crossed?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2021, 05:10 pm »
The shape of the baffle largely controls the nature of the 2π to 4π transition.

At the frequencies you ar ehaving issues with the round-over (a chamfer can affect a larger effective diameter in the same space) needs to be in the multiple inhes.

dave

Norman Tracy

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2021, 08:38 pm »
Finding this question from Danny about combating baffle diffraction in low mid-range and Folsom’s reply then Dave posts the baffle shape vs response text book figures I thought of this image circulating in the HiFi press. Side view of the recent refresh of B&W’s 801.

Certainly apparent which route B&W took. Usually I find spherical speakers if that are bigger than little 4” desktops or Fujitsu Ten Eclipse when scaled up rather goofy looking. As some of the best industrial designers in HiFi B&W have their sphere without the oddness of a Cabasse.

Back to Danny’s issue, I note in Dave’s posting the “TRUNCATED PYRAMID ON PARALLELOPIPED” is second best after the sphere. That textbook must be in B&W’s library because that truncated pyramid is very reminiscent of the first couple of generations of 801/802 midrange ‘heads’.

I expect the response trough and ripples and any relief from them are related to how large the round overs or facets are vs wavelengths of interest. Danny’s measurements revealed his issue between 200 to 500 Hz. This chart reports those are wave lengths of 2 to 6 feet.

Audio frequency vs. wavelength chart

Given the wavelengths involved I would tend to agree with Folsom “just baffle size vs frequency for the most part.” Facets and shapes as Dave and the designers at B&W use I would characterize as icing on the cake. Not that us audiophiles don’t like icing. And sprinkles. And buttercream roses on our cakes I mean speakers. Stupid analogy, now I want some cake.

While in the experimental phase of design R&D you could try wider baffles for the cost of some MDF (or foam core board?). Here to most successful somewhat recent example being the Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage. Troels Gravesen dove deep into that rabbit hole in his clone.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/PMS.htm

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2021, 12:20 am »
...wider baffles...

Our take:

dave

DannyBadorine

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2021, 01:28 am »
This is exactly what baffle step correction is for... you'd have to increase the baffle size to stop those frequencies from going around to the back. I doubt you're seeing diffraction, it's just baffle size vs frequency for the most part.

As far as summing or canceling on the back side, why does it matter? It's all going to be delayed reflections. What window gate are you using for measurements? Might want to think about that. 500hz only takes 6.5" of baffle/cone to become front directional only so it makes perfect since why you're seeing an increase after 400-500hz area as everything is moving forward at that point.

If you're measuring up in the air you shouldn't have floor bounce. Where are the lowers crossed?

I may be incorrectly using some terms here.  I will use baffle step correction in my final passive crossover.  That will smooth out the difference in the low mid and upper mid frequencies.  But the problems I see are in the low mids between 200Hz and 500Hz.  That's the point where my design becomes +/-4db.  I'm shooting to be closer to +/- 2db and I can get there through the rest of the frequency spectrum if I use a baffle step correction.  The lows cross with the mid around 160Hz.  The problem is in the mid and as you pointed out it's the baffle step problem.  I'm just hoping that a different shape box can get it to be better.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2021, 01:28 am »
The shape of the baffle largely controls the nature of the 2π to 4π transition.

At the frequencies you ar ehaving issues with the round-over (a chamfer can affect a larger effective diameter in the same space) needs to be in the multiple inhes.

dave

This is great info.  Thank you. 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2021, 01:31 am »
Finding this question from Danny about combating baffle diffraction in low mid-range and Folsom’s reply then Dave posts the baffle shape vs response text book figures I thought of this image circulating in the HiFi press. Side view of the recent refresh of B&W’s 801.

Certainly apparent which route B&W took. Usually I find spherical speakers if that are bigger than little 4” desktops or Fujitsu Ten Eclipse when scaled up rather goofy looking. As some of the best industrial designers in HiFi B&W have their sphere without the oddness of a Cabasse.

Back to Danny’s issue, I note in Dave’s posting the “TRUNCATED PYRAMID ON PARALLELOPIPED” is second best after the sphere. That textbook must be in B&W’s library because that truncated pyramid is very reminiscent of the first couple of generations of 801/802 midrange ‘heads’.

I expect the response trough and ripples and any relief from them are related to how large the round overs or facets are vs wavelengths of interest. Danny’s measurements revealed his issue between 200 to 500 Hz. This chart reports those are wave lengths of 2 to 6 feet.

Audio frequency vs. wavelength chart

Given the wavelengths involved I would tend to agree with Folsom “just baffle size vs frequency for the most part.” Facets and shapes as Dave and the designers at B&W use I would characterize as icing on the cake. Not that us audiophiles don’t like icing. And sprinkles. And buttercream roses on our cakes I mean speakers. Stupid analogy, now I want some cake.

While in the experimental phase of design R&D you could try wider baffles for the cost of some MDF (or foam core board?). Here to most successful somewhat recent example being the Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage. Troels Gravesen dove deep into that rabbit hole in his clone.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/PMS.htm

Good stuff but you know that if we go in this direction I'm going to need you to build the cabinets that way..........hahaha. 

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2021, 01:43 am »
Various unrelated tidbits:

As the wavelength increases with falling frequency, it starts to diffract around the box edges when the wavelength equals or larger than the baffle width. All free standing speakers (that sound good) have a compensation EQ filter built into the crossover to correct this diffraction rolloff and create a flat response down into bass frequencies.

Likewise, increasing the width of the baffle will lower the diffraction rolloff frequency. But you still need EQ to make flat response into lower frequencies than the natural rolloff. But you'll need less correction, which will preserve some system sensitivity.

The trend is toward narrow baffles for their appearance, and for enhancing audiophile attributes like the faux imaging illusion caused by diffracting higher frequencies into the room acoustic. There was a time when wider baffles were popular because they better supported the vocal range of the pop singers that sold the audio gear to normies. Now only audiophiles buy quality audio gear and they want imaging, even if it's fake from room distortion, so narrow baffles are popular.

More technical details about diffraction compensation:
https://www.sound-au.com/bafflestep.htm
https://www.trueaudio.com/st_diff1.htm

How to make the diffraction compensation in your crossover? When you create your frd file for use in your crossover simulator, just measure the drivers in the cabinet in which they will be used. This will capture the diffraction loss, which you can then compensate for in your simulated crossover design.

Alternatively, if you don't use a simulator, then use the formula on the trueaudio link article to calculate the center frequency of your baffle step compensation filter manually and apply the necessary EQ in your crossover design

The magnitude of baffle step compensation is always between 0 and 6dB. It depends on the room size, woofer size, baffle size, proximity to front wall, tonal preference, etc. 3-4dB of compensation is common in typical commercial speakers with narrow baffle. There are two variables to the compensation: the center frequency and the gain. The freq is determined by the baffle size. The gain is mostly determined by your taste. You may want more than 6dB bass boost, but that is not due to the diffraction loss, which can never be more than 6dB.

All free standing commercial box loudspeakers have baffle step correction. Only in-wall speakers (and headphones) don't need it.

In a passive crossover there is no way to "boost" the bass. So we accomplish the correction by cutting the high frequencies to get the same affect. This results in a loss of overall system sensitivity. So a woofer rated 91dB sensitivity, when properly compensated for edge diffraction may yield only 87dB and the tweeter must be padded down to 87dB to remain in balance with the woofer.

A wider baffle should need less diffraction correction gain, and it will be centered at lower frequency. This makes vocal band sound better by shifting any phase distortion from the diffraction below the vocals and less BSC gain means less loss of sensitivity.

If you're more of an audiophile type then you may prefer narrow baffle with more midrange room echo. If you're more of a music lover and want denser more relaxed male vocals or higher system sensitivity then wider baffle might be for you.

Rounding the edges of a box to smooth diffraction into lower frequencies requires surprisingly large radius. The diffraction smoothing effect diminishes down to about 1/4 wavelength. So a 1 inch radius edge only effect diffraction down to about 3400Hz. A 4" radius effects diffraction down to about 850Hz. A 2 foot sphere will affect diffraction down to 280Hz. But this is only the 1/4 wavelength where the effect falls off. The strongest  diffraction mitigation radius is at one wavelength, which corresponds to the frequency at which the diffraction begins. Above that the baffle is wide enough to support the whole wavelength and not diffract.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2021, 03:41 am »
Various unrelated tidbits:

As the wavelength increases with falling frequency, it starts to diffract around the box edges when the wavelength equals or larger than the baffle width. All free standing speakers (that sound good) have a compensation EQ filter built into the crossover to correct this diffraction rolloff and create a flat response down into bass frequencies.

Likewise, increasing the width of the baffle will lower the diffraction rolloff frequency. But you still need EQ to make flat response into lower frequencies than the natural rolloff. But you'll need less correction, which will preserve some system sensitivity.

The trend is toward narrow baffles for their appearance, and for enhancing audiophile attributes like the faux imaging illusion caused by diffracting higher frequencies into the room acoustic. There was a time when wider baffles were popular because they better supported the vocal range of the pop singers that sold the audio gear to normies. Now only audiophiles buy quality audio gear and they want imaging, even if it's fake from room distortion, so narrow baffles are popular.

More technical details about diffraction compensation:
https://www.sound-au.com/bafflestep.htm
https://www.trueaudio.com/st_diff1.htm

How to make the diffraction compensation in your crossover? When you create your frd file for use in your crossover simulator, just measure the drivers in the cabinet in which they will be used. This will capture the diffraction loss, which you can then compensate for in your simulated crossover design.

Alternatively, if you don't use a simulator, then use the formula on the trueaudio link article to calculate the center frequency of your baffle step compensation filter manually and apply the necessary EQ in your crossover design

The magnitude of baffle step compensation is always between 0 and 6dB. It depends on the room size, woofer size, baffle size, proximity to front wall, tonal preference, etc. 3-4dB of compensation is common in typical commercial speakers with narrow baffle. There are two variables to the compensation: the center frequency and the gain. The freq is determined by the baffle size. The gain is mostly determined by your taste. You may want more than 6dB bass boost, but that is not due to the diffraction loss, which can never be more than 6dB.

All free standing commercial box loudspeakers have baffle step correction. Only in-wall speakers (and headphones) don't need it.

In a passive crossover there is no way to "boost" the bass. So we accomplish the correction by cutting the high frequencies to get the same affect. This results in a loss of overall system sensitivity. So a woofer rated 91dB sensitivity, when properly compensated for edge diffraction may yield only 87dB and the tweeter must be padded down to 87dB to remain in balance with the woofer.

A wider baffle should need less diffraction correction gain, and it will be centered at lower frequency. This makes vocal band sound better by shifting any phase distortion from the diffraction below the vocals and less BSC gain means less loss of sensitivity.

If you're more of an audiophile type then you may prefer narrow baffle with more midrange room echo. If you're more of a music lover and want denser more relaxed male vocals or higher system sensitivity then wider baffle might be for you.

Rounding the edges of a box to smooth diffraction into lower frequencies requires surprisingly large radius. The diffraction smoothing effect diminishes down to about 1/4 wavelength. So a 1 inch radius edge only effect diffraction down to about 3400Hz. A 4" radius effects diffraction down to about 850Hz. A 2 foot sphere will affect diffraction down to 280Hz. But this is only the 1/4 wavelength where the effect falls off. The strongest  diffraction mitigation radius is at one wavelength, which corresponds to the frequency at which the diffraction begins. Above that the baffle is wide enough to support the whole wavelength and not diffract.

Great info here.  I have already planned for the baffle step circuit for this speaker which will compensate for the upper mids being louder. It's actually a pretty simple solution and is generally just an inductor and resistor in parallel with the mid-woofer. What it won't do is deal with the peaks and valleys between 200Hz and 500Hz, which are caused by the effects of the thin baffle (as you eloquently explained).  The reality is that most rooms will cause more extreme phase cancellation and nodes so it's probably fine.  I think the real solution would be a wider baffle that correlates with my crossover frequency between the mid-woofer and the Low woofers, but that would be a 28" wide baffle and I don't want the speakers to look like that. 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2021, 04:16 am »
...have a compensation EQ filter built into the crossover to correct this diffraction rolloff and create a flat response down into bass frequencies.

There are more ways than that to skin the cat. https://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/bafflestep/intro-bds.html

A blunt EQ (as implied) with do nothing to tame the ripples that one gets in the transition as illustrated by the Olsen chart i posted. No EQ will.

Everything is a compromise.

Also keep in mind, that a BSC filter as suggested that raises the on-axis response to approach flat, also raises the room response above flat.

The ROOM. Typically the room starts to dominate below about 250-350 Hz. OP's FR issues are certainly creeping into that territory.

I would also dispute the comments on imaging. Some may well do as suggested, but it is a goal i seek with my loudspeaker designs, which have very low diffraction, the better ones both the edge manifestation of diffraction (of which Ric refers) and the space transition lower down.

If the information is on the recording, a very good, solid 3D soundstage/image illusion is created.

dave

DannyBadorine

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2021, 01:26 pm »
There are more ways than that to skin the cat. https://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/bafflestep/intro-bds.html

A blunt EQ (as implied) with do nothing to tame the ripples that one gets in the transition as illustrated by the Olsen chart i posted. No EQ will.

Everything is a compromise.

Also keep in mind, that a BSC filter as suggested that raises the on-axis response to approach flat, also raises the room response above flat.

The ROOM. Typically the room starts to dominate below about 250-350 Hz. OP's FR issues are certainly creeping into that territory.

I would also dispute the comments on imaging. Some may well do as suggested, but it is a goal i seek with my loudspeaker designs, which have very low diffraction, the better ones both the edge manifestation of diffraction (of which Ric refers) and the space transition lower down.

If the information is on the recording, a very good, solid 3D soundstage/image illusion is created.

dave

This is intriguing.  I understand that a baffle step compensation circuit will only achieve the leveling out of the upper and lower mids in relation to each other.  It won't fix the actual problem I'm talking about.  DSP could make it slightly better but that induces phase that I won't want and I am striving to make an all analog system with these speakers.  The BSC circuit will also induce some potential phase problems in the crossover, though I think it will be worth it.
I'm intrigued by the idea of a rear woofer.  Theoretically it could flatten out the low mid range ripples since it would sum at the low ripple points in the front of the box.  The problem with that is what it would do on the walls around it.  At that point, I should just build an open baffle since either one would have to be away from the wall. 
I have considered adding another mid-woofer on the front and only using it in the 200Hz-500Hz range, but again this would cause phase issues by adding more crossover points.
It seems that the real solution is to build a wider baffle or just accept the low mid range ripples.  Putting the speaker in a room will cause larger problems than that ripple so for my purposes it will probably be fine. 

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2021, 02:34 pm »
Have you tried a nearfield or gated measurement?

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2021, 03:07 pm »
Great info here.  I have already planned for the baffle step circuit for this speaker which will compensate for the upper mids being louder. It's actually a pretty simple solution and is generally just an inductor and resistor in parallel with the mid-woofer. What it won't do is deal with the peaks and valleys between 200Hz and 500Hz, which are caused by the effects of the thin baffle (as you eloquently explained).  The reality is that most rooms will cause more extreme phase cancellation and nodes so it's probably fine.  I think the real solution would be a wider baffle that correlates with my crossover frequency between the mid-woofer and the Low woofers, but that would be a 28" wide baffle and I don't want the speakers to look like that.

As Dave said, there's always compromises, and new solutions!

Instead of adding an additional coil with parallel resistor for the BSC, you can often use a larger coil on the woofer low pass filter to achieve a combined low pass and BSC filter. You want to minimize adding resistance to bass drivers as it will reduce electrical damping of the driver motion, reducing detail and slam. Added resistance also reduces damping of upper drivers but it's more benign, but still good idea to consider the drivers' natural sensitivities with BSC in mind from the beginning.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2021, 08:03 pm »
It makes me wonder why 2.5 way designs aren't more popular.  They certainly are an elegant solution to BSC issues.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #16 on: 31 Aug 2021, 08:22 pm »
Except that 2,5 way systems give a full 6dB BSC. That is all too often far to much. Means the speaker has to be well into the room, and the room has to support that. A compromise.

dave

DannyBadorine

« Reply #17 on: 1 Sep 2021, 03:05 am »
Have you tried a nearfield or gated measurement?

I haven't tried a gated measurement since I'm not really sure how to do that, but my measurements have all been 1 meter away.  Would you consider that near field?  Also, I'm pretty sure that the problems aren't any reflections around the box.  There is pretty much nothing closer than 6' away and I have turned the speaker in different directions and gotten the same measurement.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2021, 03:12 am »
As Dave said, there's always compromises, and new solutions!

Instead of adding an additional coil with parallel resistor for the BSC, you can often use a larger coil on the woofer low pass filter to achieve a combined low pass and BSC filter. You want to minimize adding resistance to bass drivers as it will reduce electrical damping of the driver motion, reducing detail and slam. Added resistance also reduces damping of upper drivers but it's more benign, but still good idea to consider the drivers' natural sensitivities with BSC in mind from the beginning.

Since I have it tri-amped right now, I have tried several crossover options and got pretty close to doing what you're suggesting by either lowering the mid-woofer low pass frequency and/or making that slope steeper, but I think I will get a batter result by implementing a BSC circuit.  Using a lower frequency to being the slope or making the slope steeper can create phase problems so then again we have to find the compromise.  Is phase coherency more important than flat frequency response?  The goal is to make a passive crossover eventually and the BSC circuit will only be in the mid-woofer so I think it's fine and won't cause some of the problems that you're talking about.  The Low woofers will not need the BSC circuit because of where they are crossed over.  They will have a simple 2nd order low pass and when I test them with the miniDSP, they punch really well due to the (GR Research designed) sealed box. 

DannyBadorine

« Reply #19 on: 1 Sep 2021, 03:16 am »
It makes me wonder why 2.5 way designs aren't more popular.  They certainly are an elegant solution to BSC issues.

I might try to make a baffle with two of those mid woofers (make it a 3.5 way) and then see if I can get a better response that way.  But again, if I add a mid woofer I might flatten the frequency response but it will almost certainly cause more phase issues and frequency problems off axis.  So what's more important.....phase coherency or flat frequency response?  Also, are there times where it's fine to compromise sound quality for how they look?