Bang & Olufsen Beovox 100 OVERHAUL PROJECT

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
Re: Bang & Olufsen Beovox 100 OVERHAUL PROJECT
« Reply #40 on: 5 Nov 2018, 03:20 am »
You are welcome to do as you like on all of it  :wink:  Making a recommendation is much easier than explaining the previous 40 years of experience that forms my opinions  :green:

The lowpass in your 100s might benefit from the 16ga, but the mid in your 50s will not.  BTW, the bandpass (mid) in your 100s is the same midbass that is used in your 50s.  Since the wire will not help your bass, I thought I would not select something heavier that might slightly compromise your:

1) GREATER TRANSPARENCY.

2) BETTER IMAGING.

3) BIGGER SOUNDSTAGE.

4) HOLOGRAPHIC IMAGING.

OSIB16

« Reply #41 on: 5 Nov 2018, 03:15 pm »
You are welcome to do as you like on all of it  :wink:  Making a recommendation is much easier than explaining the previous 40 years of experience that forms my opinions  :green:

The lowpass in your 100s might benefit from the 16ga, but the mid in your 50s will not.  BTW, the bandpass (mid) in your 100s is the same midbass that is used in your 50s.  Since the wire will not help your bass, I thought I would not select something heavier that might slightly compromise your:

1) GREATER TRANSPARENCY.

2) BETTER IMAGING.

3) BIGGER SOUNDSTAGE.

4) HOLOGRAPHIC IMAGING.

Jeff, I want to coax as much bass as I can out of the CX100’s. I think I want to use Neotech stranded for the Woofers (only). What is ideal the thickest gauge of stranded copper that I can use for this purpose?

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #42 on: 5 Nov 2018, 06:27 pm »
12ga.  The only limitation will be your ability to terminate it.

OSIB16

« Reply #43 on: 6 Nov 2018, 12:35 am »
12ga.  The only limitation will be your ability to terminate it.

I can do it. I’m resourceful. Anyway thanks again Jeff. Order placed. I will make sure to post a thread containing the finished speakers on this circle.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #44 on: 6 Nov 2018, 03:09 am »
There's a pair on ebay  Buy It Now for $99

OSIB16

« Reply #45 on: 6 Nov 2018, 11:36 am »
There's a pair on ebay  Buy It Now for $99

Ideal speakers for home cinema. Snap them up, they are a real bargain. For $99 you get a solid aluminium cabinet and a Bang Olufsen badge, not forgetting a great sound. However, my little CX50’s are even better for movie playback, and they are cheaper. But only after the following mods...

1) LINE ALL INTERNAL WALLS WITH ADHESIVE BACKED FELT (4.5mm thick)

2) PLAIT THE INTERNAL WIRES.

3) SNIP OFF THE PLASTIC  PROTECTIVE TWEETER SHIELD WITH A PAIR OF PLYERS.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #46 on: 6 Nov 2018, 01:50 pm »
Snap them up, they are a real bargain. For $99 you get a solid aluminium cabinet and a Bang Olufsen badge, not forgetting a great sound.
No thanks.  If I wanted another pair of bookshelf speakers I'd build one of Danny Richie's kits.  But your project is interesting to follow.  Trying to make a pair of 4" woofers produce some bass and keep an aluminum box from ringing is a worthy challenge. 

OSIB16

« Reply #47 on: 6 Nov 2018, 02:32 pm »
No thanks.  If I wanted another pair of bookshelf speakers I'd build one of Danny Richie's kits.  But your project is interesting to follow.  Trying to make a pair of 4" woofers produce some bass and keep an aluminum box from ringing is a worthy challenge.

I’m using them as satellite speakers in a 7.1 DOLBY SURROUND cinema system with a BK Subwoofer; so they don’t need to play bass. I’ve fixed the ringing by overdamping the cabinets with thick felt stuck on all interior walls. Lovely open sound. The bright treble that they produce is essential for matching to a cinema receiver; like my Sony STRDN1040. Movies tend to be slightly rolled off in the treble region; so the treble lift of the CX50’s comes in handy.

OSIB16

« Reply #48 on: 6 Nov 2018, 03:05 pm »
SCLARK
Check these vids out to get a rough idea of what the Beovox CX100 And the Beovox CX50 sounds like. When I listen to these clips through my Standard Iphone Earpods; it sounds virtually identical to the actual sound that these speakers produce in real life...

CX100
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DLWBCuBYwSg

CX50
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gEbbIDGPzJ0

AndyAmmo

« Reply #49 on: 24 Mar 2020, 02:38 am »
Hey there - for those involved, I'd love to hear how this project turned out since I also have a set of CX100s which are in need of lots of work. Great cosmetics, but requires a replacement tweeter and refoaming the 4 woofer/mids. So, may as well go all in and upgrade the whole lot, no? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

OSIB16

« Reply #50 on: 5 Apr 2020, 11:33 pm »
Hey there - for those involved, I'd love to hear how this project turned out since I also have a set of CX100s which are in need of lots of work. Great cosmetics, but requires a replacement tweeter and refoaming the 4 woofer/mids. So, may as well go all in and upgrade the whole lot, no? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Andy,
       Unfortunately  I never got around to modding the CX-100’s. For music playback I was impressed with the CX50’s after heavily modifying them. Here is a link showing the work...

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161358.0

OSIB16

« Reply #51 on: 5 Apr 2020, 11:40 pm »
Andy just in case you wanted advice on how to improve your CX-100’s. The image below shows Sonic Craft’s recommended modifications for that model...

xschop

« Reply #52 on: 24 Jul 2023, 01:16 am »
Any updates here on CX100 modifications/upgrades?

I have a set that I want to rebuild and mod for possible near-field listening on another PC rig.
I've modded many vintage Polks and want to do the same for these.

OSIB16

« Reply #53 on: 25 Jul 2023, 02:49 pm »

Updates coming soon. So far; I have covered the cabinets of my CX100’s with a simulated wood finish shown here (painted and wood stained). I have also changed the capacitor to an Audio Note Kaisei. Added bass reflex port and aluminium rear panel…

xschop

« Reply #54 on: 25 Jul 2023, 03:21 pm »
Those look great. Looking forward to your bass port review.
I am considering power-porting these with a set of Polk power ports and will also remedy the tweeter diffuser as you have shown.

OSIB16

« Reply #55 on: 25 Jul 2023, 03:37 pm »
Those look great. Looking forward to your bass port review.
I am considering power-porting these with a set of Polk power ports and will also remedy the tweeter diffuser as you have shown.

Thanks. As an experiment, I have disconnected the ‘bottom woofer’ and am not going to rely on it to supply the bass. Instead I am performing some simple surgery on the ‘upper mid/bass unit’ with a Dremel, by cutting the metal basket frame  holes larger to hopefully let more air out.  The bass port will be positioned directly behind the Mid/Bass unit.
When I compared a CX50 to the CX100 I immediately noticed that the soundstage is always better and more 3D with the CX50.

xschop

« Reply #56 on: 25 Jul 2023, 03:46 pm »
Ok. I see, you are attempting same clarity, imaging as the CX50's you modded?

I plan on phase-plugging the upper midrange driver in mine and butyl-matting their baskets along with woofer basket.
I'll keep that in mind and maybe open the frame holes on the woofers.

OSIB16

« Reply #57 on: 25 Jul 2023, 03:55 pm »
Ok. I see, you are attempting same clarity, imaging as the CX50's you modded?

I plan on phase-plugging the upper midrange driver in mine and butyl-matting their baskets along with woofer basket.
I'll keep that in mind and maybe open the frame holes on the woofers.

Correct. By the way; here is my speaker binding post method for the ultimate performance. It allows you to clamp your favourite speaker cable directly to the circuit board of the CX100.

« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2023, 09:39 pm by OSIB16 »

xschop

« Reply #58 on: 25 Jul 2023, 04:08 pm »
Nice. Going to machine some TeCu posts this weekend to finish the Polk project and make some for the CX's also.

So was your port length and ID only calculated for the mid-bass?
Once you disconnect the woofers they effectively become a PR, no?

OSIB16

« Reply #59 on: 25 Jul 2023, 04:20 pm »
Nice. Going to machine some TeCu posts this weekend to finish the Polk project and make some for the CX's also.

So was your port length and ID only calculated for the mid-bass?
Once you disconnect the woofers they effectively become a PR, no?

Hopefully I can rely on bass from the modified Mid/Woofer unit combined with the reflex port tube

« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2023, 09:38 pm by OSIB16 »